Alabama Assistant Bo Davis leaving over inquiry into possible recruiting violations

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Didn't expect to get hit with this -- this is an absolutely colossal loss.
I'm not that worried at this point in time.

If what is being said is true, it involved a player who didn't commit to Alabama. If the player doesn't go to the respective school, it makes the violations far less important. He couldn't have played while ineligible at Alabama, etc... and by all accounts Bo Davis was promptly fired.

Also, Alabama replaced coaches all the time. They replaced Bo Davis once before. It still sucks, but unless there's more to this Alabama will be fine. They'll get another good coach and this isn't the first time a employee has been fired over breaking NCAA rules.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
A reminds of why the mere mention of violations makes a lot of folks nervous:

http://sports.outsidethebeltway.com/2007/11/ncaa-screwed-alabama-say-former-chairman/

David Swank, who held the position of chairman for seven years and served on the committee for nine, testified in a defamation and privacy suit against the NCAA brought by disassociated booster Ray Keller in Jackson County Circuit Court. Swank questioned the NCAA’s finding of three major violations against Alabama and Keller and said the NCAA may have violated its own rules by using confidential sources. The NCAA also violated rules by not turning over all the available evidence to the infractions committee during a November 2001 hearing in Indianapolis.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

http://sports.outsidethebeltway.com/2007/11/ncaa-screwed-alabama-say-former-chairman/

David Swank, who held the position of chairman for seven years and served on the committee for nine, testified in a defamation and privacy suit against the NCAA brought by disassociated booster Ray Keller in Jackson County Circuit Court. Swank questioned the NCAA’s finding of three major violations against Alabama and Keller and said the NCAA may have violated its own rules by using confidential sources. The NCAA also violated rules by not turning over all the available evidence to the infractions committee during a November 2001 hearing in Indianapolis.
Thanks Selma. So yeah, many of us " old timers " are scarred for life when it comes to the NCAA. Everyone who is quick to tag some of us as " chicken littles" could perhaps be a bit more understanding. You had to live through that nightmare to truly understand.

Harmost

All-American
Sep 19, 2005

If what is being said is true, it involved a player who didn't commit to Alabama. If the player doesn't go to the respective school, it makes the violations far less important. He couldn't have played while ineligible at Alabama, etc... and by all accounts Bo Davis was promptly fired.

Also, Alabama replaced coaches all the time. They replaced Bo Davis once before. It still sucks, but unless there's more to this Alabama will be fine. They'll get another good coach and this isn't the first time a employee has been fired over breaking NCAA rules.
This is the part that I was talking about. We're the most talented team in the country, and we have an all around great staff that really knows how to run an organization, with the game's best at the top, so yes, we'll be ok, but losing your top positional coach (yeah, that's arguable; I think it's true) at awkward time of the year for hiring replacements isn't good. Our lines were better with Bo. And, just to say, I don't generally think much of anything when I hear that we're replacing a coach for exactly the reasons you were getting at -- didn't even bat an eye at Kirby leaving.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Well the problem a lot of us have really goes back to the textbooks. Alabama was forthcoming, they cooperated fully, it was a pretty trivial matter. However, the NCAA was still fairly heavy handed.
The textbook situation was definitely a raw deal for Bama with heavy-handed treatment from the NCAA. But frankly that mistreatment was mild compared to some of the other NCAA actions leveled against Bama in prior years.

Thanks to Selma for putting things in perspective...

Thanks Selma. So yeah, many of us " old timers " are scarred for life when it comes to the NCAA. Everyone who is quick to tag some of us as " chicken littles" could perhaps be a bit more understanding. You had to live through that nightmare to truly understand.
I am right there with you, Tideflyer. The NCAA did things against Bama so outrageous that people nowadays have a hard time believing stuff like that actually happened.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
Lane's brother is a dang good DL coach. Let's go get him.
I'm scared of any coach from Ole Miss. But the NCAAs handling of anything Bama has made me that way.
------------------------------------------------

If a kid is coming to Bama because of one coach what does that say about the kid ?
That seems to be normal for many kids. They spend more time with their position coach than any other. One thing for sure is Coach Saban has many coaches that would love work for him.

Last edited:

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia

Just curious to read what you are reading in regards to it being a player who didn't commit to Bama.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Just curious to read what you are reading in regards to it being a player who didn't commit to Bama.
Well this is all second hand info at the point but if Alabama isn't in serious trouble that's one indication:
From Jamey Barnes on twitter

"No NCAA trouble heading bamas way. Saban was out in front of this and Bo had to go. Exhale, everything is fine."
But this quote from a reputable guy helps:
not going back thru this thread, but it involves a recruit we did not sign in the '16 class.

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now
The textbook situation was definitely a raw deal for Bama with heavy-handed treatment from the NCAA. But frankly that mistreatment was mild compared to some of the other NCAA actions leveled against Bama in prior years.

I am right there with you, Tideflyer. The NCAA did things against Bama so outrageous that people nowadays have a hard time believing stuff like that actually happened.

There isn't a day that goes by when this stuff is brought up that I don't immediately think about tennessee, roy adams and the role that played out with the ncaa. Tough to learn the hard way that absolute power corrupts absolutely. You give any organization legal autonomy, from that point on, it's broke.

dtgreg

All-American
Jul 24, 2000
Tuscaloosa
www.electricmonkeywrench.com

I'm sensing a long-awaited power move on the part of the haters now that Slive has retired. Look out, SEC. I sure hope Sankey is up to the challenge. Now that Vito is out of the way (not the best analogy, I know) the five families are coming at us. Time to settle all family business?

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
not sure what kid this is centered around -- but if he didn't sign with us -- I wonder if Coach Bo was "outbid" by the school he did end up at.....

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Not every recruiting violation is about money or benefits. Why don't we wait on that talk until we learn more?

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
I have to say I am nervous about this situation with Bo Davis. Every time Bama has gotten in trouble with the NCAA is starts with officials and the fans saying "this is all handled properly and nothing will come of it".

ChattTide

All-SEC
Jul 20, 2000
Memphis, TN
This.

Hated every bit of going through it. Never want to go through it again. The mere mention of NCAA and Alabama in the same breath always makes the hair on the back of my neck stick up. Geez. When the NCAA is snooping around other campuses my first thought is, "I wonder how many scholarships Alabama is going to lose because of this."

Roll Tide!!
ChattTide

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Not every recruiting violation is about money or benefits. Why don't we wait on that talk until we learn more?
While I certainly agree - you've got to admit when a coach is let go that quickly concerning "Recruiting Violations" it narrows down the list of possible offenses. To deserve a punishment that swift and total makes it pretty serious and there are a limited number of offenses that fit that punishment. It could be something totally unique, but I understand the logic for leaning in the direction of money and benefits.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
While I certainly agree - you've got to admit when a coach is let go that quickly concerning "Recruiting Violations" it narrows down the list of possible offenses. To deserve a punishment that swift and total makes it pretty serious and there are a limited number of offenses that fit that punishment. It could be something totally unique, but I understand the logic for leaning in the direction of money and benefits.
Joker Phillips was let go at Florida for nothing related to money or benefits.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.