Alabama Assistant Bo Davis leaving over inquiry into possible recruiting violations

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
This indicates you think Alabama is clean. Do you think Alabama is clean?

No school is clean in recruiting.
Exactly. This is what made the probation under Mike DuBose so enraging. Several other schools, including Tennessee, were bidding on Albert Means. Their coaches were told - by the sec office - to back off. Our coaches were not told this. And the rest is history. And the biggest snitch of that whole affair was Phil Fulmer.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
supposedly MSU turned Bo in for a night before NSD visit to Jeffery Simmons. grain of salt, but it falls in same ballpark as what we heard initially
Maybe Simmons is right and maybe he's not. But his explanation passes the smell test -- simple, plausible, and ties up all the logical loose ends....except of course what Davis would have been thinking when / if he set up the meeting.

If it's true that Davis made an in-person visit the night before NSD, I understand why he may have denied it. It's just inexcusably stupid for an experienced CFB assistant. Everybody and their brother knows it's not permitted. This isn't a phone call or a text. There is no plausible deniability for that level of contact.

If he'd fessed up, Saban would have been on him like stink on a skunk. He took a chance hoping there wasn't any evidence. Apparently there was, and here we are.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Do you think it matters if you pass the high sheriff doing 60 in a 55MPH zone or if you zip by doing 90?

There's technical and there's blatant.
Of course, there's a difference. Never claimed there wasn't.

Just commenting fans of any team should not have the thought I quoted because every FBS team cheats.

There's a solution for this. Don't cheat.

Absolutely true, Krazy. But absolutely irrelevant to how Alabama conducts its affairs.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Maybe "cheat" isn't the exact word but every FBS school is breaking the rules somehow knowingly or unknowingly.

Bo pretty clearly violated an obvious no-contact period right before signing day. And he violated it in spectacular fashion at that: went right up to the kid's house for an in-home visit. I don't know if that is "cheating" per se but it is definitely breaking the rules. Other suitors understandably saw it as a cheat because the suitors recognizing the contact moratorium didn't get the last word like Bo Davis and the University of Alabama. This was a bit different than a few too many snacks on the refreshment table.

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now
Of course, there's a difference. Never claimed there wasn't.

Just commenting fans of any team should not have the thought I quoted because every FBS team cheats.

If the rebels are doing 90, I would feel safer knowing they impounded their car, took their drivers license, sent them to driver's rehab, made them stay off the road for at least a year, and warned them, if any repeat offenders, we are going to get down-right mean.

Next time, let's discuss texting and driving? :smile:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
If the rebels are doing 90, I would feel safer knowing they impounded their car, took their drivers license, sent them to driver's rehab, made them stay off the road for at least a year, and warned them, if any repeat offenders, we are going to get down-right mean.

Next time, let's discuss texting and driving? :smile:
Really don't understand what you're trying to say here. My comments this morning have solely been to say no fan should act like his/her program is the cleanest program in the country because every program is breaking a rule whether it be a secondary violation or worse. Every program is doing it. Just depends on well the program covers it up.

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now
Really don't understand what you're trying to say here. My comments this morning have solely been to say no fan should act like his/her program is the cleanest program in the country because every program is breaking a rule whether it be a secondary violation or worse. Every program is doing it. Just depends on well the program covers it up.

Given that SEC teams self-report their secondary transgressions, publicly, I don't see your point being a new revelation to any Bama fan. Just trying to say, that in substance, ole miss doesn't sound close to secondary. In other words, I wouldn't want to confuse Tunsil and Bo's sins at this stage of the investigation.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Given that SEC teams self-report their secondary transgressions, publicly, I don't see your point being a new revelation to any Bama fan. Just trying to say, that in substance, ole miss doesn't sound close to secondary. In other words, I wouldn't want to confuse Tunsil and Bo's sins at this stage of the investigation.
Where are you getting someone trying to compare Tunsil and Bo? I've not tried to do that.

And note I said "every program is breaking a rule whether it be a secondary violation or worse." I stand by that statement, too.

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now
Where are you getting someone trying to compare Tunsil and Bo? I've not tried to do that.

And note I said "every program is breaking a rule whether it be a secondary violation or worse." I stand by that statement, too.

Didn't mean to throw you a curve ball. I mean, beyond your singular point, we are all sinners. Tunsil is just the latest and most convenient example on degrees of transgression and it certainly matters. I'll try to keep it simpler.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct...4ANvYwF1PP0EOzGjvePzhz2w&ust=1462377183340980

And it is good to know that at your school and my school there are serious and immediate consequences for those who do it.
Absolutely. And that`s really about the best you`re going to be able to do, IMHO. There`s almost no accounting for some rogue booster out there that could go crazy at any moment and throw a program on the junk pile through their hubris. And that applies to every school.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
This indicates you think Alabama is clean. Do you think Alabama is clean?

No school is clean in recruiting.
I think Nick Saban has a moral code, and that the school's approach to both recruiting and apparent violations of the rules reflects that. To your point, too many egos and glad hands are involved for any school to be without sin, but I believe Saban controls what he ought to be controlling.

Last edited:

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Exactly. This is what made the probation under Mike DuBose so enraging. Several other schools, including Tennessee, were bidding on Albert Means. Their coaches were told - by the sec office - to back off. Our coaches were not told this. And the rest is history. And the biggest snitch of that whole affair was Phil Fulmer.
TE, we were set up because several of our coaches and boosters were stupid and corrupt. No one forced us to get into a bidding war for a borderline obese teenager. To my mind, that makes us complicit, not victims.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Nick Saban seems to have ethics but to think any school is "clean" as in never breaks the rules is a bit much within the NCAA rulebook.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Kids these days SMH..

The worth of a "Man's Word" is plummeting. Kid's today are so flippant and wishy-washy about everything. Their whole life is one big hot-take; one long string of knee-jerk reactions. Couple that with the ego-centrism found in recruiting and it's easy to see how monster's can be created. That's why I like this Bama program. How man stars? Don't care. Sit on the bench until you can win the job. Enjoy the ride Hollywood Marv.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
The worth of a "Man's Word" is plummeting. Kid's today are so flippant and wishy-washy about everything. Their whole life is one big hot-take; one long string of knee-jerk reactions. Couple that with the ego-centrism found in recruiting and it's easy to see how monster's can be created. That's why I like this Bama program. How man stars? Don't care. Sit on the bench until you can win the job. Enjoy the ride Hollywood Marv.
He's probably 17 or 18 years old - I somehow doubt you were the pillar of wisdom you are today at that age.

Give him a break.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
He's probably 17 or 18 years old - I somehow doubt you were the pillar of wisdom you are today at that age.

Give him a break.
I understand what you are saying

It's interesting. I'm certainly a fan of 2nd chances and breaks. But the big difference here is that - though he may be young - this type of behavior and mentality is not being corrected. A break is something you give to someone who will or should eventually come to learn from their behavior due to correction. Age is a factor yes, but if someone behaves this way and is led to believe that there is nothing wrong with it, then it is bound to continue. That's why I take issue. It's not a particularly huge surprise that someone his age would behave immaturely but the idea that this is status-quo for our society and doesn't need a closer look could become harmful. It's not just Hollywood Marv but many of the recruits and other kids his age. It transcends maturity - at least by my subjective observations.

Anyways, don't want to get bogged down by this topic, but just wanted it to be clear that I don't intend to flog California Marvin for being young - only that this style of behavior is transcending age because nobody seems to have a problem with it.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.