Gaspard and Staff should be fired

rolltydebb

BamaNation Citizen
Jun 10, 2002
tuscaloosa, al USA
We can disagree about Salem. He hit .269 as a freshman and is a .267 career hitter. He hasn't one time hit over 300. He's always struggled in SEC play. He's always struck out a ton. Truth is why Salem is struggling now is the PRO career is in his head. He's realizing that he simply isn't that good. But he should have been benched or platooned long ago. Salem is at alabama b/c of the legacy not b/c of the player he was in high school. He was a solid high school baseball player, but not SEC. Go check the offers, he wasn't offered by anyone else. Not even Auburn.

We all agree the day Bunn left and Phillips was hired was a bad day for the program.

I totally 100% agree that gaspard isn't playing the best guys. Or at least creating competition within the roster to make people get better in practice. I mean we you are constnatly running out a 181 hitter and a 220 hitter, why would anyone work to get a shot to play. Those two are in the lineup daily, and I honestly challenge anyone on the board to go look at ANY other SEC program and show me where they'd play?

Its a joke. THey need to go

bamajake

1st Team
Sep 27, 2001
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
Couple of interesting articles about CMG and who might be a good replacement. It is ridiculous to have a team goal set by CMG to finish around .500 in the SEC and hope you might get a regional bid. I want at least a 20-10 SEC record and host a regional and a Super and go to the CWS.

http://www.rollbamaroll.com/baseball
Interesting reads. I have been a fan of Dan Heefner for several years (as several older posts will attest). If he can win at the level that he has won at Dallas Baptist, he sure as hell can win at Bama.

bamajake

1st Team
Sep 27, 2001
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
Just to add my two cents' worth to the discussion. First and foremost, I like Mitch as a person, but he simply isn't getting the job done. I put him in the same category as Mike Shula, Mike Dubose, Mark Gottfried and Anthony Grant. I liked all four of these coaches as individuals but they simply did not get the job done as coaches at Bama. It could be that Mitch, like several of these individuals, is a good assistant coach but not a good head coach. It is time for him to go.

Andy has and always will be one of my favorite Bama players, but he is not a hitting coach. When Andy played here, he relied on natural ability (and a hot bat). He never really had to sit back and analyze what he was doing wrong at the plate because he had enough natural talent to be able to hit without such an analysis. For that reason, he does not know how to evaluate a player's swing and fix problems with it.

Dax is another of my all time favorites. As a player, Dax worked his backside off to maximize his ability and be successful. As a hitting coach, I thought he did an excellent job. In past posts, I have compared our hitting under Dax to the years immediately before he became our hitting coach and after he moved to pitching. The contrast was astounding. To be honest, I have been pleasantly surprised with Dax's work as a pitching coach. Pitching is the only real strength this team has had for the past few years. That being said, I still believe that Dax should be the hitting coach. I fully expect to see Dax as a head coach somewhere some day and I think he will be successful as a head coach. He can recruit. He can relate to the players. Most importantly, he is the only coach on staff who can actually coach baseball.

I honestly do not see how Mitch can possibly survive after this year. It is my understanding that this is the last year of his contract so there would be no buyout. If he is retained, it would be unfair to him and to the returning players and recruits to give him a one year contract and see what happens next year. Now is the time to make the move. If the decision is made to let Mitch go, the University will not fire the rest of the staff. It will be up to the new coach to decide which, if any, of the staff to keep around. My guess is that a new coach will simply clean house and either bring his current staff with him start from scratch and build a new staff.

I am sure that there are some who will disagree with my thoughts, especially regarding Dax. One thing that we all probably agree about is that this program is now a bottom third of the SEC program and it won't get any better unless changes are made.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Interesting reads. I have been a fan of Dan Heefner for several years (as several older posts will attest). If he can win at the level that he has won at Dallas Baptist, he sure as hell can win at Bama.
Don't see Heefner... He has turned down several Big jobs including Baylor. He is VERY religious and big in his Christian Faith. If he turned down Baylor for concerns of building a program there conflicting with his religious beliefs, not sure he would even consider an SEC school. He is probably in the perfect spot.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
I totally 100% agree that gaspard isn't playing the best guys. Or at least creating competition within the roster to make people get better in practice. I mean we you are constnatly running out a 181 hitter and a 220 hitter, why would anyone work to get a shot to play. Those two are in the lineup daily, and I honestly challenge anyone on the board to go look at ANY other SEC program and show me where they'd play?

Its a joke. THey need to go
Supposedly changes are coming... However, they have told kids that before and just lied to their faces. Let's see if it happens. If it does, Mitch and Andy have been told they are fired and Dax is calling the shots from a lineup stand point.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
For the reasons stated above by all of you, I would be willing to give Dax a shot at coaching the team rather than take a flyer on a guy from a small school or an assistant from somewhere else. Dax has proven he can coach both the pitching and the hitting side of the game, so it stands to reason he'd do alright at making the in-game moves or building the lineup. I know it's not what most people want, but I swear I do not see how it could get worse.

If we go outside, the guys at Southeastern Louisiana, Southern Miss, and South Alabama seem to have solid rosters every year. I would include the guy at La-Lafayette, but I think he is happy in Cajunland. I know that we should look nationally for a coach, but the unusual way that D1 baseball recruiting works, with the 11.7 and the non-lottery thing, to me it makes more sense to hire someone regional who is familiar with Alabama high schools and regional JUCO's.

I have to admit that the guy at Dallas Baptist had always been in the forefront to me, but I didn't know much about him. If he has turned down major offers before he probably won't want this job. But I guess we can try.

rtr

ATLBAMAFAN

3rd Team
Feb 2, 2005
Couldn't agree more about this coaching staff. We let our pitchers go too long when they get in trouble, especially when we have a really capable and more extensive set of relief pitchers than what we have been using. I can tell you from sources on the team that player development is almost non-existent, even with pitching. Many of the players go to specialty coaches to get advice on what to fix or change with their swing and/or pitching.

HolyCow

3rd Team
Mar 27, 2010
Field of Dreams
Supposedly changes are coming... However, they have told kids that before and just lied to their faces. Let's see if it happens. If it does, Mitch and Andy have been told they are fired and Dax is calling the shots from a lineup stand point.
Who has told players before? Dax by far has done the best job of all three. Imagine all the knowledge he learned from the likes of Maddux, Glavine and Smoltz. Only question is he a good assistant or could he be a good head coach.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Who has told players before? Dax by far has done the best job of all three. Imagine all the knowledge he learned from the likes of Maddux, Glavine and Smoltz. Only question is he a good assistant or could he be a good head coach.
Coaches will say what they have to say to get kids and they'll say what they have to say to keep kids happy. That said, lie enough nobody will want to play for you. Mitch and Phillips are an embarrassment and quite frankly, by letting them stay Battle is making it known Baseball doesn't matter. Then again, the only 2 sports that will make $$ are football and men's BB so that is what will get his attention. It took a lot of pressure for him to give a crap about BB.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I'm with everyone else, they have to go. I like Dax and I can still remember being in the stands when he hit the go ahead homer in the 9th to beat #1 Florida in the SEC Tourney in '98. I just wouldn't like him being head coach without any experience. We HAVE to hire someone that has been successful before and is a proven head coach. We have to bring some energy back to the program...

RoyDMercer

Scout Team
Sep 3, 2009
Need to go hire Cohen and open the checkbook. The guy takes lemons and makes lemonade with lessor talent because He knows how to Develope guys. and if that doesnt work go after Calvi in Mobile at USA (which is probably your best Coach in Alabama). Zero developement, On the pitching side,

Ray Castillio Freshman All American when he got to UA = Senior year hasnt pitched since April 1
Jake Hubbard Freshmen year had 34 appearances that year and now his Senior year he mightve logged 6 innings

Theres only been 4 pitchers leave UA since 2009 that was as good as they arrived and they All had their own workout routine and didnt listen to nobody on that staff.

You come as a Freshmen (Coached and Developed by someone else) and leave either broke or no good or mentally hating the game you once loved.

Sad but true

rolltydebb

BamaNation Citizen
Jun 10, 2002
tuscaloosa, al USA
Pitching isn't the issue nor has it been the issue for sometime. Thats just my opinion.

Could you please elaborate on kids have been told changes are being made? and Dax is calling the shots?

I just dont see how ^ that is true. There is no way Gaspard is letting Dax run the show, and there is no way BB told mitch he's fired so we are going to keep you as the face of the program but all major decisions now run thru Dax.

I do think Gaspard could have been told we expect to see a major turn around or you are not going to be renewed. And this clearly isn't the turn around that was discussed and Mitch now knows he's in very hot water. But I dont see how anyone would tell the kids this? or how the kids would know this? or why Dax is calling the shots behind the scenes?

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
Calvi took some time to get started, but he will win the Belt's regular season this year after having won it last year, and he brings the 'Tanner system' to the table. He would not be a bad one to take a chance on.

rtr

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
the football and gymnastic teams compete for championships, the golf and the softball teams are not just competitive they too compete for championships. The basketball program is trying to make an effort to get better and while it is a slow process, it's making strides. The baseball team on the other hand, seems to be stuck in mud. I want to support the baseball. I miss the days in which the team had a strong chance of going to Omaha, but cheering for the baseball is insane right now. This program has stalled and is not likely to make improvements until the staff is gone. The staff won't be gone until the people in charge of making those choices need to see that the staff is the problem. The new stadium is great but it doesn't mean anything if you are still fielding a sub-par product. The players are trying but they are just not talented enough to win in the SEC. That needs to change, like yesterday.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I don't think Cohen would leave for us.

Calvi I wouldn't mind as USA has been good for years. No matter who we hire, I just hope we open the checkbook period and not try to lowball anyone. Would be stupid to spend all that money on The Joe just to have some nobody come in to coach because he was cheap.

Play Ball!

1st Team
Oct 11, 2001
Birmingham
Coach Tadlock at Texas Tech (34-13, 14-4 in conference) or Coach Schlossnagle at TCU (30-12, 11-7 in conference) would be good to start with.

ATLBAMAFAN

3rd Team
Feb 2, 2005
ROYDMERCER You hit the NAIL ON THE HEAD regarding the pitching. This is 100% true. I know of one player in particular who has only pitched a few innings and has already been told by scouts that he is one of a few players he has seen with a true "out" pitch. This player has had great success and been dominant in the collegiate summer leagues. Yet for some reason can't seem to get on the field. There are several just like him that are not being utilized at all. And, I know for a fact he has been developed by independent consultants and not anyone on the staff.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.