Gaspard and Staff should be fired

rolltydebb

BamaNation Citizen
Jun 10, 2002
tuscaloosa, al USA
As a long time supporter of Alabama Baseball its clear that Gaspard and his entire staff should be fired.

He's had ample time and years to get the program into shape, and you are seeing other programs with just as many disadvantages be successful and Alabama is just not. The new stadium wasn't even half filled last night in a must win series for Alabama.

The misses on talent. The state's top players going elsewhere to play. Bama playing guys like Salem and Haynie every single day when neither of them are even average SEC players. We do not have one single regular hitting over 300. The constant excuses that he quotes after games. Its old. He's not getting it done. Alabama deserves better.

The day Bunn left and Gaspard hired his buddy Phillips was the turning point of this program. I have no clue why Mal Moore accepted that hiring. Phillips won't be able to land a job at a small D1 school once this staff is fired. He can't recruit and certainly hasn't done anything to help our hitters.

I personally hope the powers that be understand this is much like the anthony grant situation. Alabama will likely do enough to squeak their way into a regional, but his fate should be sealed. And I personally would rather see Alabama miss a regional this year if thats what it will take to rid ourselves of this staff.

The tough decision was made on Shula. Nice guy who ran an average program.
The same decision was made on Grant. Nice guy who ran an average program.
Same decision needs to be made with Gaspard. It is time he goes

HolyCow

3rd Team
Mar 27, 2010
Field of Dreams
The constant excuses that he quotes after games. Its old. He's not getting it done. Alabama deserves better.
Agreed. Last nights post game interview, which by the way I am
glad the Athletic Department finally has made him be accountable. He said that Bramlett was pitching on a short week and was sick all week. OK, then why not start someone else if he was not up to par? He is getting desperate as he sees his time running out. Couldn't even muster at tip of the cap to the Bulldogs as he has done most every time they lose.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
If we don't make a regional that would be three of seven years. If we do that would be five regionals in seven years, but only one Super (I can't see us winning a regional hitting the way we do). We can do much, much better as a program, and Mitch has had plenty of time to do better.

rtr

HolyCow

3rd Team
Mar 27, 2010
Field of Dreams
Latest laughable quote from CMG interview with Chris Stewart today. "We are a much better offensive team than we have shown through the year." Anyone agree with this? Last in virtually every hitting category in the SEC but somehow we are not what the numbers show. LOL. That's like telling your parents that you are a much better student than your grades show. I think ol Mitch has a career in politics after he leaves Tuscaloosa.

Last edited:

MikeD

Suspended
Feb 24, 2007
As a long time supporter of Alabama Baseball its clear that Gaspard and his entire staff should be fired.

He's had ample time and years to get the program into shape, and you are seeing other programs with just as many disadvantages be successful and Alabama is just not. The new stadium wasn't even half filled last night in a must win series for Alabama.

The misses on talent. The state's top players going elsewhere to play. Bama playing guys like Salem and Haynie every single day when neither of them are even average SEC players. We do not have one single regular hitting over 300. The constant excuses that he quotes after games. Its old. He's not getting it done. Alabama deserves better.

The day Bunn left and Gaspard hired his buddy Phillips was the turning point of this program. I have no clue why Mal Moore accepted that hiring. Phillips won't be able to land a job at a small D1 school once this staff is fired. He can't recruit and certainly hasn't done anything to help our hitters.

I personally hope the powers that be understand this is much like the anthony grant situation. Alabama will likely do enough to squeak their way into a regional, but his fate should be sealed. And I personally would rather see Alabama miss a regional this year if thats what it will take to rid ourselves of this staff.

The tough decision was made on Shula. Nice guy who ran an average program.
The same decision was made on Grant. Nice guy who ran an average program.
Same decision needs to be made with Gaspard. It is time he goes
I wrote AD Battle last year to make a change. Don't know why we accept mediocrity in any sport but football. Not sure what to think about Battle. He was actually going to keep Grant last year. Even Grant knew it was time for a change.

Harmost

All-American
Sep 19, 2005
Latest laughable quote from CMG interview with Chris Stewart today. "We are a much better offensive team than we have shown through the year." Anyone agree with this? Last in virtually every hitting category in the SEC but somehow we are not what the numbers show. LOL. That's like telling your parents that you are a much better student than your grades show. I think ol Mitch has a career in politics after he leaves Tuscaloosa.
He's probably right... but what's holding the hitting back is him and his staff.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
When you study the stats, the most amazing thing is that we have won the games we have. Our best hitter is ranked #49 in the league. We are 30 points lower in team batting average from a year ago. I can only assume the new Joe is not a hitter-friendly park?

Rtr

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Mitch and Phillips needed to go last year. Haynie is in a 4/43 funk with 24K's. Got to give another catcher a chance. Need to commit to it for 3 or 4 games. Can't give DeVinny or Poe 1 game out of 10 and expect them to go 3/3 with 2 extra base hits. Need to give someone 5 or 6 games in a row to see how they do with regular at bats.

Name one kid who has improved under Phillips and Gaspard? I've heard several parents of kids on the team say what a joke they are....

rolltydebb

BamaNation Citizen
Jun 10, 2002
tuscaloosa, al USA
The fact Haynie plays daily is comical. The fact Salem plays every day is comical.

It shows that we cannot recruit. We have zero depth or we are loyal to bad baseball players. Salem and Haynie either one would not be starters for any other sec school. Haynie isn't even a 200 career hitter yet he plays daily like he's johnny bench behind the play or something. We are hitting .245 as a team. YES as a TEAM. We have no speed, we have no power.

Andy Phillips has no clue how to recruit. Mitch hired him. Phillips is an arrogant not well liked coach that has made zero connections with anyone in the recruiting areas. I feel sorry for Dax bc he has actually done a great job with the staff, but he should be able to find a job elsewhere. Phillips won't be able to get a job anywhere else or any significance, Mitch i'm sure would be able to land a assistant coaching gig somewhere if his ego will allow him to do so.

regardless they need to go.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
The fact Haynie plays daily is comical. The fact Salem plays every day is comical.

It shows that we cannot recruit. We have zero depth or we are loyal to bad baseball players. Salem and Haynie either one would not be starters for any other sec school.
We are loyal to BAD baseball players... Salem is a super legacy so he is "owed" something.... We have other options at catcher. Poe was batting over .250 when he got a few AB's. DeVinny was a freshman all B12 batting .279 before transferring from K-State. Last I looked the B12 has decent pitching. For whatever reason Mitch won't give either of them a shot to play consistently. It is not fair to judge a kid based off of a handful of at bats. It is fair to judge the fact Haynie can't hit an off speed pitch to save his life. He strikes out more than a nerd on the cool kids bar!

I wonder if Mitch has been told he isn't coming back and is playing the kids he likes the best saying to hell with winning... BTW, you hit the nail on the head with Phillips. He is an arrogant sorry excuse of a coach. He thinks people should kiss his butt b/c he played for the Yankees. He was a sorry .250 hitter with a sub .300 OBP and 4:1 K to BB ratio... (And he is our hitting coach...) Most Yankee fans I know were elated in 2007 when he took a FB off his wrist so we didn't have to watch him K in the post season.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
All I know about Andy is that I watched a kid who was a really good hitter in high school see his average go down year after year while at Alabama, and his family told a good friend of mine that his confidence was completely shot by the time he left Tuscaloosa. I could see it in the kid's eyes, that he had no confidence at all at the plate, no plan at all.

If nothing else a change in leadership would have to be a positive thing for a program that has done absolutely nothing but spin it's wheels for a decade. I agree that Dax does a good job, but I have heard rumors now for two years that Dax himself wanted out.

It is past time.

rtr

rolltydebb

BamaNation Citizen
Jun 10, 2002
tuscaloosa, al USA
Haynie is a .181 CAREER hitter

He's had 409 career at bats and struck out 171 times. Why does he play?

Salem wasn't even a great high school player. He's a career .267 hitter. That doesn't walk. Can't run. Yet until this year he's started every game of his career. I know of no other college that would give 900 at bats to such a bad player.

the staff is a joke. Andy phillips is laughable. He's all about himself. I know him well enough to know this and I would say such to his face. He's was a good player. He's a selfish person, wants the lime light and attention, and would/will take advice from almost no one. Probably why we cant hit nor can we recruit a good hitter. I know for a fact Haynie was Andy's big recruit. Was the man. Was going to be the guy that they built around.

I feel bad for Dax in it all. He's a bulldog that has transformed the staff and saved the bacon of Phillips and Gaspard for this long. Dax will make a really good head coach one day. He's a good recruiter. He relates to the kids, knows how to motivate them. He was a good player, but had to work his tail off for it daily. Probably why he gets the most out of his kids and even the kids without the most talent.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
I refuse to step foot in the new stadium until a change is made. I grew up watching us playing in Super Regionals almost yearly, being a contender to go to Omaha yearly, and always battling LSU and UF at the top of the standings.

This isn't okay.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
All I know about Andy is that I watched a kid who was a really good hitter in high school see his average go down year after year while at Alabama, and his family told a good friend of mine that his confidence was completely shot by the time he left Tuscaloosa. I could see it in the kid's eyes, that he had no confidence at all at the plate, no plan at all.

rtr
That is common. Multiple parents say the same thing. Phillips is too busy to help the kids get better. Of course he was a failure in the pro's so he probably has no clue of how to help. Until Gaspard and Phillips get lost it won't change.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Haynie is a .181 CAREER hitter

He's had 409 career at bats and struck out 171 times. Why does he play?

Salem wasn't even a great high school player. He's a career .267 hitter. That doesn't walk. Can't run. Yet until this year he's started every game of his career. I know of no other college that would give 900 at bats to such a bad player.

the staff is a joke. Andy phillips is laughable. He's all about himself. I know him well enough to know this and I would say such to his face. He's was a good player. He's a selfish person, wants the lime light and attention, and would/will take advice from almost no one. Probably why we cant hit nor can we recruit a good hitter. I know for a fact Haynie was Andy's big recruit. Was the man. Was going to be the guy that they built around.
IMO the only reason Haynie plays is Andy is to vain to admit he was wrong! That or he has the goods on Andy and Mitch.

Not sure how BIG a recruit Haynie really was. UT and Vandy didn't cry when he came to BAMA.

HolyCow

3rd Team
Mar 27, 2010
Field of Dreams
Couple of interesting articles about CMG and who might be a good replacement. It is ridiculous to have a team goal set by CMG to finish around .500 in the SEC and hope you might get a regional bid. I want at least a 20-10 SEC record and host a regional and a Super and go to the CWS.

http://www.rollbamaroll.com/baseball

Last edited:

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
Absolutely, Gaspard needs to go. Players do not get better. Salem is a good example - this kid was a very good HS player, and I will politely disagree with a poster above. Georgie can run, and he could hit when he got there. The lack of development is startling.

Play Ball!

1st Team
Oct 11, 2001
Birmingham
I stated my case for replacing this staff for the last 3 years, so I won't beat a dead horse. CMG's end began when he let Bunn walk away and moved Norris to pitching coach and hired Phillips. Although Norris has turned out to be an adequate pitching coach, Phillips continues to be a clown. And that's a shame because Phillips was an outstanding player. But it proves just because you can hit, doesn't mean you can coach hitting. Gaspard has continued to accept sloppy play and stick with his favorites. He's not putting the best talent on the field.
Gaspard's contract runs out this year and I really think he has been told this is it, and he will head back to a smaller program in Louisiana at the end of this season. Great guy, but evidently can't make the hard decisions to be a SEC head coach.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.