I need a new computer

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
What will you be doing on it? Do you need advice on brands, processors, features, etc?
Internet, word, basic stuff. I need info on brands,. I don't want to spend a ton of money. I am not a gamer so I don't need a gaming computer. I just need something I can use for the m I st basic stuff. I live only a mile fr OK m my job so I don't need it for that. I would only need to possibly connect to my with my work computer in case I have deadlines and I get sick or bad weather. So it would need the capability for a fast Internet connection

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Don't buy anything labeled HP or Dell. Both have hardware that is matched to the installed OS. In many cases, this prevents upgrades to the system.
I've actually upgraded both. In fact, I've upgraded the OS also with hardly a hiccup. I must admit that I most enjoyed building one, because I got to select my components, especially the motherboard. However, the OP needs to answer one question and that is, being an architect, and connecting to work, he's going to have to have a CPU which will handle graphics. I believe the Lenovo is offering the most bang for the buck in powerful CPUs and roomy hard drives...

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
I've actually upgraded both. In fact, I've upgraded the OS also with hardly a hiccup. I must admit that I most enjoyed building one, because I got to select my components, especially the motherboard. However, the OP needs to answer one question and that is, being an architect, and connecting to work, he's going to have to have a CPU which will handle graphics. I believe the Lenovo is offering the most bang for the buck in powerful CPUs and roomy hard drives...
I have a Lenovo laptop that replaced a failed HP desktop. I enjoy being able to use the laptop anywhere in the house. I doubt I'll ever own another desktop.
Mrs. Reb has an HP desktop with Win7 OS. It failed while I was upgrading it to Win10. It would not allow me to either continue the upgrade or reinstall Win7. I took it to my IT guy who had to wipe the hard drive and then reinstall Win7. He told me that the entire system was designed for Win7 and wouldn't allow for the upgrade. Since Mrs. Reb uses it for little more than playing games, it wasn't cost effective for me to spend the extra money it would take to complete the upgrade.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Internet, word, basic stuff. I need info on brands,. I don't want to spend a ton of money. I am not a gamer so I don't need a gaming computer. I just need something I can use for the m I st basic stuff. I live only a mile fr OK m my job so I don't need it for that. I would only need to possibly connect to my with my work computer in case I have deadlines and I get sick or bad weather. So it would need the capability for a fast Internet connection
The fast internet connection is a function of your internet connection, not the computer. I've got a Dell, and it's fine; I've heard good things about Asus.

I don't know much about AMD processors these days, but if you're going Intel, get an i5. Even for basic stuff, i3s are a little underpowered. When you say "not a lot of money," what are we talking?

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I would get something with a solid state drive (SSD). Things will load much faster from memory and the computer boots up considerably quicker. Finding a laptop with a SSD isn't that expensive these days..

Last edited:

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I would get something with a solid state drive (SSD). Things will load much faster from memory and the computer boots up considerably quicker. Finding a laptop with a SSD isn't that expensive these days..
I have the SSD on my work computer. You are right it is considerably faster than anyone else in the office.

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
HP is cheap and basic, but is notorious for sub-par performance. I've had a couple and don't care to have another. Dell is decent if you don't need anything special. For laptops, I had good luck with the Sony Vaio line. I'm currently without a laptop, though, and honestly don't see the need for another with the rapid evolution of tablets.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I have a Lenovo laptop that replaced a failed HP desktop. I enjoy being able to use the laptop anywhere in the house. I doubt I'll ever own another desktop.
Mrs. Reb has an HP desktop with Win7 OS. It failed while I was upgrading it to Win10. It would not allow me to either continue the upgrade or reinstall Win7. I took it to my IT guy who had to wipe the hard drive and then reinstall Win7. He told me that the entire system was designed for Win7 and wouldn't allow for the upgrade. Since Mrs. Reb uses it for little more than playing games, it wasn't cost effective for me to spend the extra money it would take to complete the upgrade.
Sorry, but I don't buy your guy's story at all. Any component, other than an inadequate CPU is upgradable from 7 to 10 with no problem. That sounds like mumbo-jumbo. I've upgraded both a laptop running 7 and a desktop running 7 to 10. No problem on the laptop. On the desktop, it was set for automatic upgrade and MS sneaked 10 into the update queue. It upgraded itself with no problem at all. However, the infamous KB***743 update broke it, as it did thousands of computers. I finally had to reinstall Win 10. I had to reinstall some programs and I had a little problem with networking, which turned out to be a Norton/Comcast firewall problem. If a computer is fairly new, it'll handle 10. My wife's computer is the oldest in the house. It came with Vista, which I upgraded to 8 and then 8.1. I recently upgraded it to 10. It performs much better with 10 than the other OSs. Most casual users don't know it, but 10 actually uses less resources - CPU, memory, etc. - than Win 7. Her computer is much faster and more responsive with 10 than any of the other OSs...

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
At that price you're going to have to decide which features are most important and pick one that best fits what you want without giving up something that is a must. An i5 or i7 is probably your best choice with a dedicated GPU. I imagine you want at least 1080P display, 8GB RAM, and 500GB hard drive. You can get all of that in your price range, but every increase in specs will cost you. Good luck.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
Sorry, but I don't buy your guy's story at all. Any component, other than an inadequate CPU is upgradable from 7 to 10 with no problem. That sounds like mumbo-jumbo. I've upgraded both a laptop running 7 and a desktop running 7 to 10. No problem on the laptop. On the desktop, it was set for automatic upgrade and MS sneaked 10 into the update queue. It upgraded itself with no problem at all. However, the infamous KB***743 update broke it, as it did thousands of computers. I finally had to reinstall Win 10. I had to reinstall some programs and I had a little problem with networking, which turned out to be a Norton/Comcast firewall problem. If a computer is fairly new, it'll handle 10. My wife's computer is the oldest in the house. It came with Vista, which I upgraded to 8 and then 8.1. I recently upgraded it to 10. It performs much better with 10 than the other OSs. Most casual users don't know it, but 10 actually uses less resources - CPU, memory, etc. - than Win 7. Her computer is much faster and more responsive with 10 than any of the other OSs...
If you say so.. I don't possess enough expertise to argue the point with you, nor do I wish to.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
At that price you're going to have to decide which features are most important and pick one that best fits what you want without giving up something that is a must. An i5 or i7 is probably your best choice with a dedicated GPU. I imagine you want at least 1080P display, 8GB RAM, and 500GB hard drive. You can get all of that in your price range, but every increase in specs will cost you. Good luck.
I agree with this, if he's going to use it for design work. I would say even more RAM for faster loading. Definitely the GPU to take the load off the CPU, or the big files will drag the speed down dramatically...

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.