UDFA Signings

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
12-Gauge got drafted on the back of beating 'Bama, plain and simple. Not so plain and simple for Zeke Elliott but a good chunk of the "credit" for him going in the 1st round goes there, too.
He had 3 great games, all in a 3 game span to close out that championship. He got the same kind of boost that Howard is gettingfor his monstergame against Clemson. The stage matters as much as the opponent.

TNElephantitis

1st Team
Nov 30, 2015
Memphis, TN
He had 3 great games, all in a 3 game span to close out that championship. He got the same kind of boost that Howard is gettingfor his monstergame against Clemson. The stage matters as much as the opponent.
You beat me to this analogy about OJ. If you recall, then same happened to Eddie Lacy's draft stock after the last 3 games of the 2012 season. Once he got healthy, he ran all over Auburn, UGA and Notre Dame 3 great games to end the 2012 season. During the BCSNG, Herbie was raving how we were just now seeing what a healthy Eddie Lacy could do, but that he was the best of any RB that year when healthy.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
it seems so much of this process from high school recruiting onward is driven by perception more than reality. It's pretty clear they (NFL) were all smitten with Ohio State. Granted they had some talent, but would they be perceived the same had they not beaten Alabama in 2014? This is a team that was down big time to Bama in the playoff matchup where Alabama took them lightly and did not prepare. The following season they more or less tanked as a team. If they didn't have the great second half against us they would not have filled the first round with their players. So essentially 30 minutes of a game played over a year ago probably shifted about 20 million dollars from Bama players to Ohio State players.

It's almost an object lesson on why you never take anyone lightly.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
To be fair about Cardale Jones, I thought he was all fluff when he started whiffing this year as well - but even after they put in JT Barret thy still weren't the dazzle-fest from the year before. The likely truth is that the change in OC had a massive effect on everyone's production. Jones more than likely has a huge upside (Roethlisberger) that has to be brought out by a decent offensive scheme. OSU took a big step back with their new OC hire... at least compared to what Herman brought to the table.
Urban's best attribute as a coach isn't recruiting, it isn't scheme, it isn't even his actual coaching, it's his ability to pinpoint talented coaches for his staff. He's done it everywhere he's gone. It's not that he isn't good at the other aspects, it's that he's better than just about anyone we've ever seen at hiring a staff. I'll be really surprised if Warriner/Beck don't turn it around.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
"Undrafted free agents sign three-year contracts for the rookie minimum, which starts at $450,000 annually"

Wow! I thought it would be in the $150,000 range.
That's only if the UDFA makes the 53 man roster which is very tough to do.

That is if they make the team. Does anyone know what they make for the "tryout" portion?
IIRC, I think it's something similar to being on the practice squad in the range of $6000 per week during the football season. I'm not sure they make anything for just being in camp and trying out..

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
That is if they make the team. Does anyone know what they make for the "tryout" portion?
"Undrafted free agents sign three-year contracts for the rookie minimum, which starts at $450,000 annually"

Wow! I thought it would be in the $150,000 range.
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/undrafted-free-agents/

Typically $5-10k guaranteed for Bama guys; some others a bit more, some nada.
This is what Pettway is getting so far as an UDFA..

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Jabriel Washington signed a deal with the LA Rams yesterday.
That's great for Washington. Hope he makes it. However, I have no idea what the Rams are doing personnel wise. I read yesterday that the AU receiver who was kicked off the team last year, Duke Williams, also signed with the Rams. Side note: Jeff Fisher has a propensity to draft/accumulate AU players because his son was a walk on at AU, IIRC. Fisher drafted Greg Robinson with their first round pick a few years ago and also drafted Tre Mason. Not criticizing just a notation. The article went on to say that the Rams have 15 (!!!!) wide receivers in camp. I understand that teams need bodies in camp to get everyone reps and do all the drills but 15 wide receivers seemed excessive..

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
He'll be living in a box in San Francisco...he better find someone to room with.
I'm pretty sure the way the UFDA contracts are written is the "base guarantee" is the weekly contracted amount since the UFDA's are week-to-week until they make the team. If they do make either the practice squad or the roster, it normally gets recontracted to a full season salary.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.