DL Coach Vacancy Thread

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Re: Former NFL D-Line Coach Karl Dunbar Expected to be Named DL Coach

They may have been the worst defense in the NFL I have ever seen...and that covers a lot of territory. This potential hire looks promising....
They were very good in his first year there. I think they just kinda hit the end of the line of some of their core's viability and he was the man holding the rope when it fell apart. NOLA spends a ton of money on the offensive side of the ball, eventually it catches up with you.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia

They were very good in his first year there. I think they just kinda hit the end of the line of some of their core's viability and he was the man holding the rope when it fell apart. NOLA spends a ton of money on the offensive side of the ball, eventually it catches up with you.
Which is ironic because even when you put aside the bounty aspect, what allowed them to thrive was that head-hunting (no pun intended) defense. They played fast and physical. How they got away from that I don't know. My family have been longtime Saints fans so it's easy to be ambivalent about them in their down years since they've pretty much always been terrible - but they have the tools to be good - especially if they can get their act together on defense this season. Brees is capable of being excellent for maybe anther 2-3 seasons and serviceable for another 4-5 barring injury or FA.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

Last time I recall Saban making a hire from the NFL people were a little concerned about how their previous defense has performed as well (Mel Tucker). The truth is even a mediocre NFL position coach is likely to be better than a good college position coach. Seems like a good hire.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

I think he was a sacrifice because Rex Ryan hired his brother Rob as Assistant Head Coach/Defense.
Pretty sad because Rob was the worst defensive coordinator I've ever seen when he was with the Saints.
They couldn't stop anybody.
I know I don't follow the NFL as closely as some do here, and maybe my view is wrong. But I consider the Ryan brothers to be two of the most overrated, overhyped coaches in the NFL.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Alabama has interviewed multiple candidates to replace Bo Davis as DL coach

Alabama has interviewed multiple candidates for its vacant defensive line coach position, but Nick Saban indicated Thursday a hire doesn't seem imminent.

Alabama is looking for a new defensive line coach after Bo Davis submitted his resignation last week. Davis, who was Alabama's top-ranked recruiter last cycle, resigned due to committing recruiting violations by visiting multiple out-of-state recruits during a dead period, according to AL.com sources.

AL.com reported last weekend that Alabama expected to hire long-time NFL coach Karl Dunbar as its next defensive line coach. Saban said Alabama has interviewed candidates but didn't specify any names.

"We are working on it," Saban said. "We have interviewed a few people. Now is not really a great time for people to be looking for work and out of jobs, and not a good time for anyone to leave the job they're in."

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
So is there a holdup with Dunbar or is CNS just keeping it on the low for now?
He's interviewing more guys. He's probably not in too big of a rush right now since coaches can't have on the field work with players and other schools aren't in the market for a DL coach.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I look at hiring coaches like shooting a rifle. Anybody can pull a trigger, but to do it right takes knowledge, conditioning, muscle memory, then align sights on target, take a breath, let it part way out then press the trigger without disturbing the sights.

We are in a slow time of the year, Coach Saban is looking at a number of coaches. He has had a wish list for most position coaches, so he has an idea of who he would like to hire.
Our next step is for CNS to align his sights on a candidate, then the rest should fall into place. (Maybe)

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
One thing to keep in mind, too, is that this allows Coach Saban to update his "list" of potential coaches, and not just fill the one position.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Can`t help but wonder who the "multiple candidates" might be ( other than KD ). Anybody have any inklings?
Some talk today a former AU player, AU coach and current UGA coach might be in play.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.