Question: Town cannot repair playground equipment without renovating entire playground?

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
My wife and I were at a local park in Shreveport yesterday afternoon with the kids. As I was walking around the park I struck up a conversation with another dad. As we talked we got to talking about the quality of the playground equipment compared to when we were growing up (we both grew up as 80's kids). That prompted him to tell me he and his family were from Greenwood, LA which is a little township outside of Shreveport. He told me something that just floored me and if true reinforces to me how stupid government is in their "thinking".

He said they have a public park in Greenwood that has older playground equipment. However, the chute on the slide is damaged and needs repaired. There's nothing wrong with the other equipment. He said the problem is they cannot "repair" the slide because according to a federal law if a repair is made to playground equipment on an "older park" then the entire park has to be brought up to code. He said it falls under some federal disability act for making all public playgrounds (build after some point in time) wheel chair accessible along with other minimum requirements. Greenwood priced what it would take to do this and going the cheapest route would cost them over $83,000. He said their "town lawyer" said they could not repair the slide because if they did they would be required to upgrade the entire park. Which the town doesn't have the money to do. But here's the kicker, the chute of the slide is damaged to such a degree that it cannot be played on because it is a safety hazard. So he said they've had to "rope off" the slide and restrict access to it.

Has anyone else heard of this? I didn't realize there was such a "law".

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
My wife and I were at a local park in Shreveport yesterday afternoon with the kids. As I was walking around the park I struck up a conversation with another dad. As we talked we got to talking about the quality of the playground equipment compared to when we were growing up (we both grew up as 80's kids). That prompted him to tell me he and his family were from Greenwood, LA which is a little township outside of Shreveport. He told me something that just floored me and if true reinforces to me how stupid government is in their "thinking".

He said they have a public park in Greenwood that has older playground equipment. However, the chute on the slide is damaged and needs repaired. There's nothing wrong with the other equipment. He said the problem is they cannot "repair" the slide because according to a federal law if a repair is made to playground equipment on an "older park" then the entire park has to be brought up to code. He said it falls under some federal disability act for making all public playgrounds (build after some point in time) wheel chair accessible along with other minimum requirements. Greenwood priced what it would take to do this and going the cheapest route would cost them over $83,000. He said their "town lawyer" said they could not repair the slide because if they did they would be required to upgrade the entire park. Which the town doesn't have the money to do. But here's the kicker, the chute of the slide is damaged to such a degree that it cannot be played on because it is a safety hazard. So he said they've had to "rope off" the slide and restrict access to it.

If the people who make these decisions had a brain, we'd really be in trouble!

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs

haven't heard it but it doesn't surprise me at all

I need to resurface my pool so i had a guy out to look at it and oops the code changed since it was built. Now they can't resurface a pool because my two drains are too close together by about 6 inches (they are 18 inches apart and minimum is 24 inches) so they are only allowed to make repairs or rebuild completely, re plastering not allowed. Called a couple pool guys all gave the same story. Going to let it go a couple more years

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX

I need to resurface my pool so i had a guy out to look at it and oops the code changed since it was built. Now they can't resurface a pool because my two drains are too close together by about 6 inches (they are 18 inches apart and minimum is 24 inches) so they are only allowed to make repairs or rebuild completely, re plastering not allowed. Called a couple pool guys all gave the same story. Going to let it go a couple more years
Stuff like that needs to be grandfathered. Again, more stupidity by our government.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Stuff like that needs to be grandfathered. Again, more stupidity by our government.
not even slightly the case. Stuff like this is completely intentional. Construction companies lobby for code changes constantly and in local politics nobody really cares. You give me a grand towards my next campaign to change wiring standards or pool regulations? Sure I need the money and the public won't give a darn when the bill comes up. The construction lobby knows what will happen. It is a real problem with our system as it stands today

nothing "stupid" here at all outside of our allowing it to happen

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
not even slightly the case. Stuff like this is completely intentional. Construction companies lobby for code changes constantly and in local politics nobody really cares. You give me a grand towards my next campaign to change wiring standards or pool regulations? Sure I need the money and the public won't give a darn when the bill comes up. The construction lobby knows what will happen. It is a real problem with our system as it stands today

Constantly creates new business for them. When my wife and I went to sell our first house in 2005 our breaker box was "out of code". Even though there was NOTHING wrong with it. $2,100 later we had a new breaker box so we could go forward in selling the house. How nice of them...

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

the same thing happens a good bit, especially with older houses, and electrical codes

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX

I guess we need to fund a pool owners lobby and have the legislation re-written.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.