Blog: The Latest Bama News 5/2/2016 Thru 5/5/2016

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
Shakopee Minnesota, via Birmingham Alabama
Alabama set to name Karl Dunbar as defensive line coach-sn-rbr
Dunbar was strength and conditioning at LSU under Nick Saban from 2001-02. After stints at Oklahoma State and the Chicago Bears, he returned to LSU as defensive line coach in 2005 under Les Miles and has worked in the NFL since 2006.
rbr opDunbar has a great résumé that includes some of the best defensive line units in the NFL for the past few seasons. Like Mel Tucker, he will enjoy instant credibility with players and recruits. The machine rolls on.

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
Shakopee Minnesota, via Birmingham Alabama
Hi, I cover college football and am a fan of one NFL team, but pay only minor attention to the other 31.
So I'm here to tell you which teams I think did the best in the NFL Draft, based only on the players selected and ignoring things like team needs and draft value, because I basically have no idea what most of these teams needed. (For fully informed draft grades, go here.)
This is just one college fan going down the lists of draftees and saying, "That's a lot of good players" while looking at some teams, as opposed to saying, "That's a lot of players I've never heard of" or "That's not many players at all" for others. In my totally one-sided book, there are five clear standouts. Let's get right to it!
5. Washington

The Read Option

A daily college football newsletter
by Jason Kirk

1 (22). Josh Doctson, WR, TCU

2 (53). Su'a Cravens, S, USC
3 (84). Kendall Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech
5 (152). Matt Ioannidis, DT, Temple
6 (187). Nate Sudfeld, QB, Indiana
7 (232). Steven Daniels, LB, Boston College
7 (242). Keith Marshall, RB, Georgia
The first two picks are obviously strong (Doctson is the draft's most well-rounded WR), Fuller and Marshall are amazing when healthy, Ioannidis and Daniels come from massively overachieving defenses, and Sudfeld's numbers compare really well with basically any other QB in this class.
4. Cincinnati Bengals
1 (24). William Jackson III, CB, Houston
2 (55). Tyler Boyd, WR, Pittsburgh
3 (87). Nick Vigil, MLB, Utah State
4 (122). Andrew Billings, DT, Baylor
5 (161). Christian Westerman, G, Arizona State
6 (199). Cody Core, WR, Ole Miss
7 (245). Clayton Fejedelem, S, Illinois
Same for these first two picks. Vigil helped lead one of the country's most bafflingly consistent defensive powers, Billings might've been the best value pick of the entire draft, and Westerman looked like a top guard prospect to me. Also, Ole Miss fans got super fired up when Core went off the board, which always feels like a good sign.
3. Oakland Raiders
1 (14). Karl Joseph, S, West Virginia
2 (44). Jihad Ward, DE, Illinois
3 (75). Shilique Calhoun, DE, Michigan State
4 (100). Connor Cook, QB, Michigan State
5 (143). DeAndre Washington, RB, Texas Tech
6 (194). Cory James, OLB, Colorado State
7 (234). Vadal Alexander, G, LSU
The merciless Joseph to the Raiders is my single favorite fit. He could step onto the field in a replay of a brutal 1970s Raiders AFC Championship, and you wouldn't even notice. Cook became polarizing throughout this process, and while he's not a first-rounder, this draft probably didn't have one at QB anyway. Washington was the draft's most underrated running back, and Alexander can contribute.
2. Jacksonville Jaguars
1 (5). Jalen Ramsey, CB, Florida State
2 (36). Myles Jack, OLB, UCLA
3 (69). Yannick Ngakoue, DE, Maryland
4 (103). Sheldon Day, DT, Notre Dame
6 (181). Tyrone Holmes, DE, Montana
6 (201). Brandon Allen, QB, Arkansas
7 (226). Jonathan Woodard, DE, Central Arkansas
Getting arguably the class' two best defenders on one team? What are you, Alabama? Day's an excellent find, and Allen's another day-three QB whose numbers compare just fine with the first-round QBs.
1. Cleveland Browns
1 (15). Corey Coleman, WR, Baylor
2 (32). Emmanuel Ogbah, DE, Oklahoma State
3 (65). Carl Nassib, DE, Penn State
3 (76). Shon Coleman, OT, Auburn
3 (93). Cody Kessler, QB, USC
4 (99). Joe Schobert, OLB, Wisconsin
4 (114). Ricardo Louis, WR, Auburn
4 (129). Derrick Kindred, S, TCU
4 (138). Seth DeValve, TE, Princeton
5 (154). Jordan Payton, WR, UCLA
5 (168). Spencer Drango, OT/G, Baylor
5 (172). Rashard Higgins, WR, Colorado State
5 (173). Trey Caldwell, CB, Louisiana--Monroe
7 (250). Scooby Wright, LB, Arizona
This looks like a college all-conference starting lineup. As a fan of a pro team that had to wheel its way to all of six picks, I felt total jealousy toward the Browns the entire weekend. They just kept spinning their wealth into more and more wealth, and basically every pick was a player who produced admirably in college. I can't pick a favorite here.
Again, I have no idea about most NFL teams' needs (how could a team need four new WRs?), but the Browns had the right strategy both before and during a draft this deep: load up on picks and spend them on ballers. The Browns! The Browns were smart! What a time.
Your collegiate winners in raw picks are Ohio State, Clemson, UCLA, the SEC, and the Big Ten. Full standings here.
CROOTIN'! The only thing weirder than a 2017 five-star committing to Maryland is the last 2016 five-star committing to Cal, and doing so via upside-down painting. Good weekend for Cal!
Also, in CROOTIN', Georgia and Oklahoma added the weekend's four-star commits, both named Trey.
Some Saturday picks of interest for the college fan:

And some interesting UDFAs:

At one point, the whole thing had gotten so Ohio State than an Ohio State draftee announced his NFL team was picking another Ohio State player.
I guess Harbaugh and Kirby Smart are done snappin' at each other over satellite camps, because now they're hosting one together.
Bill C team of the day: Cincinnati, where the ultimate wildcard has planned its wildest season yet.
"Deshaun Watson and a bunch of running backs." IT'S 2017 MOCK DRAFT TIME.
The only thing funnier than Chris Christie saying he would've arrested Laremy Tunsil during the NFL Draft -- for appearing to smoke marijuana a couple years ago -- is the unanimous social media and comment section reaction against him. Apparently nobody likes Chris Christie. Could do with fewer weight jokes, but I can't think of a more universally unpopular person, based just on the hundreds of responses to that story from this weekend.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.