FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
Shakopee Minnesota, via Birmingham Alabama

The Read Option

A daily college football newsletter
by Jason Kirk

The timeline begins
with the No. 1 dual-threat QB recruit Tate Martell decommitting from Texas A&M at 11:30 ET Wednesday night.

Everything is straightforward at this point. Leave A&M? If you're a blue-chip quarterback, that's what you do. (This is supposed to sound like those TV commercials.) Barely half a year ago, two five-star quarterbacks who were already on the roster transferred out at about the same time. That's 15 stars' worth of QB, gone just like that.
Minutes later, A&M wide receivers coach Aaron Moorehead tweets:
Scared for this next group of kids. There is no accountability and no sense of positivity when it comes to adversity. #selfish #allaboutme
I feel sorry for ppl who never understand loyalty. I can't really even vibe with u. At the end of the day trust is & everything else is BS
— Aaron Moorehead (@Amo8685) May 5, 2016
I wasn't even talking about who everyone thinks I'm talking about. I didn't even know #badtiming #relevanttho #stillnoloyalty
— Aaron Moorehead (@Amo8685) May 5, 2016
The coach, who wasn't criticized publicly when he chose to leave Virginia Tech for a similar job at A&M a year ago, claimed he wasn't referring to Martell. But "#relevanttho" and "#stillnoloyalty" indicate that if he wasn't before, he is now, right? He later called modern society "soft" during a resounding rant.
Two of the top three recruits in the state of Texas, who were either referring to this news or an inside joke amongst themselves, had a laugh moments later with Eno Benjamin, a blue-chip Texan who's committed to Iowa.
@RDMW6 @eno_benjamin5 too funny
— Baron Browning (@baronbrwnng) May 5, 2016
Things got worse! Extremely, rapidly worse!
A four-star Texas wide receiver dropped the Aggies, saying he didn't want to play for a coach who'd publicly call out a recruit like that:
Minutes after, the No. 2 recruit in the state of Texas turned to the scriptures of DJ Khaled,using an "Another One" GIF to note this was in fact another decommit.
And the national No. 5 wide receiver recruit said:
I would like to say thank you to TAMU & fans but due to some tweets subtweeted towards my brother, I will no longer be looking at A&M.
— Tyjon A. Lindsey ® (@tyjonlindsey) May 5, 2016
Who's his brother? Lindsey's a close friend with Martell, the QB whose decommit launched the evening's festivities.
So what's the lesson? Recruits decommit. They seek different opportunities, just as Moorehead and all other coaches do and just as all people in all walks of life do. When your school loses a player, don't make it worse.
Where's Martell going? Maybe Cal! Maybe Ohio State! Who knows!

Elsewhere!

The story of that time FAMU -- yes, FAMU -- nearly made it in FBS.
Ohio State just had the best NFL Draft by any college ever, says math.
REALIGNMENT:

The numbers crown Florida State the team of the 1990s.
How UGA's new running game will work, beyond "hand the ball to Nick Chubb and 18 other guys who run like Nick Chubb."
It's time to stop scolding NFL Draft early entrants who go undrafted. Often, it's a good idea.
RANKING the worst moments in sports pandering by presidential candidates, and absolutely, Carly Fiorina's Rose Bowl treachery is No. 1.
Bill C team of the day: Temple, the reigning division champion who still has plenty of upside.
The first satellite camp news I've cared about in a long time: Bo Pelini is working a camp that also features Nebraska's current staff.
Dabo Swinney becomes the first coach to attempt the latest dance craze. He's outdanced by a cow, but aren't we all?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.