GA News: OnlineAthens - Kirby Smart plans to be 'selective' on UGA choosing satellite camps as

TideFans Reporter

Click for Real-Time Bama News
Sep 21, 2006
From OnlineAthens.com
May 2nd, 2016 03:06 PM

GREENSBORO | Kirby Smart’s phone has been inundated by requests the last few days from those holding satellite camps wanting to see if Georgia’s coaches want to work more than the two already announced last week that they will attend.
“I’m getting hit with a text every five minutes about, ‘Do you want to do ours, do you want to do ours?’” Smart said Monday afternoon before playing in the Chick-Fil-A Peach Bowl Challenge charity golf event at Reynolds Plantation. “What people don’t get is you don’t have to send your whole staff. You can send one coach, you can send five coaches. We’re going to have representation at a lot of them, but which ones specifically I can’t tell you outside of those two.”
Besides Cedar Grove's camp where Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh and staff will also work and a Georgia Minority Coaches Association camp, three other camps later became known Monday as destinations for Georgia coaches.
West Georgia announced Georgia coaches will assist at the "Elite Prospect Showcase" on June 7th at the school in Carrolton. Other guest coaches include from Louisville, Ole Miss and Southern Miss and more are expected to be added.
Samford also lists Georgia among coaches attending its "Mega Prospect Camp," in Birmingham on June 11, according to its website. Coaches from Alabama and Colorado State (where former Georgia offensive coordinator Mike Bobo is head coach) are among those also listed.
And The MVP Camp--co-organized by Rusty Mansell of 247Sports and Chad Simmons of Scout.com--list Georgia and Georgia Tech among 10 state schools with guest coaches for a June 5 camp at Lassiter High School.
Smart and Harbaugh are teaming up at Cedar Grove High School’s “Elite Football Camp” on June 2 at Maynard Jackson High School in Atlanta. At least their staffs are.
“I don’t know,” Smart said when asked if he will attend that camp with Harbaugh. “We have a camp going on at our place. We haven’t got all the details yet. I talked to coach Harbaugh about it and we said we’re going to do it and it would be a good thing and we’ll figure out all the details later.”
Harbaugh has been at the forefront of the whole satellite camp issue after he hit the Southeast for camps last year and planned more for this year. The SEC and ACC won a short-lived victory when the camps were outlawed by the NCAA, but they are now on again after a decision last week. Those leagues are now permitting their coaches to hit the road for what many view as recruiting camps.
“It was painful to say it’s on, it’s off, it’s on, it’s off, but now it’s on so we deal with what hand we’re dealt,” Smart said.
Georgia also will have coaches at the Georgia Minority Coaches Association camp June 9-10 at Woodland-Henry High School in Stockbridge. The camp also will have guest coaches from Georgia Tech, North Carolina, Auburn, Texas A&M, Tennessee and South Carolina among others, according to the association’s website.
“We have got a bunch of them that people are calling us about but we’ve got to be selective because our time is valuable and we want kids on our campus,” Smart said. “There’s a fine line.”
Georgia has a calendar that lists every satellite camp that the staff knows about on it.
"If you look at the dates of them and the amount of them, I think they’re going to get really diluted so you want your coaches to go where the players are," Smart said. "They’ll be more than those two but I don’t know how many and I don’t know when and I don’t know where.”
Harbaugh drew attention with a February tweet after Smart said Michigan’s spring break trip to IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla., offered “a competitive advantage. Obviously, that’s their right.”
Harbaugh responded with a tweet without naming Smart: “If the Georgia coach is implying any intent on our part to break rules, he is barking up the wrong tree.”
Presumably they are on a first-name basis now.
“Really it was more Cedar Grove,” Smart said about how he got together with Harbaugh. “They handled the whole thing. Coach (Jermaine) Smith called me and talked to me about it. I said it would be a great idea. I think it will be awesome. If they’re going to be in our state working it and evaluating talent, we want to be evaluating that talent, too. It gives an opportunity and it’s a good attraction. Both big-name schools. The idea is to get the best players, if you’re going to do it, let’s get the best players there. We’re going to want them on our campus, too, but if it gives us a chance for a kid that’s 90 miles away, 70 miles away for us to see them that they don’t have to come to campus, we’re good with that.”
Clemson coach Dabo Swinney and North Carolina coach Larry Fedora, also competing in the golf event, said they aren’t changing their plans and aren’t venturing out to do satellite camps this year.
“We’ll still kind of do business as usual for us at Clemson,” Swinney said. “We’re going to continue to have our camps at Clemson and hopefully kids that are interested in Clemson will come and see us there. I don’t need to go somewhere to evaluate a young person. I can do all of that, but I do need them to come to Clemson to make sure it’s the right match on both sides.”
Swinney said he envisions graduate assistants who are trying to advance their careers will go work camps elsewhere.
Fedora didn’t mention the Georgia Minority Coaches Association camp.
“We don’t have any satellite camps this year,” he said. “We didn’t prepare for one. All of our camps are set up on campus.”
He said he wished he had more time to plan for satellite camps, but said it’s important to get recruits to campus. If his staff went out next year, he said it would be outside the school’s normal recruiting footprint.
“The kids within our footprint seem to get to our campus,” he said, “so we might step outside of our footprint.”

...READ MORE HERE...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.