Welcome Tua ( And to a " new" offensive philosophy ? )

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
IMHO, any doubts concerning emphasis on the QB being able to pressure defenses with his legs should be gone. Barnett, Hurts and now Tua? Interesting times on the horizon for sure! Anybody else think Blake Sims sort of " opened things up " in this regard?

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now
IMHO, any doubts concerning emphasis on the QB being able to pressure defenses with his legs should be gone. Barnett, Hurts and now Tua? Interesting times on the horizon for sure! Anybody else think Blake Sims sort of " opened things up " in this regard?

I do. But then I immediately start thinking about the offensive coordinator that dreamed it up. With this kind of all-out investment, I hope Lane sticks it out in the long haul and see's it through.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Star Jackson
Geno Smith
Braxton Miller
Jacoby Brissett
Jameis Winston
Tyrone Swoopes
Malik Zaire
DeShone Kizer
Deshaun Watson
Kyle Allen
De'Andre Johnson
Torrance Gibson
Travis Waller
Blake Barnett
Brandon Wimbush
Jarrett Stidham
Woody Barrett
Jarrett Guarantano
Jalen Hurts
Jawon Pass
Shea Patterson

Those are just some of the players offered scholarships by Alabama Rivals listed as "DUAL" or "ATH." (Included Kyle Allen since he's mobile even though Rivals classifies him as pro-style.) This isn't anything new with Saban. He's just not starting to sign the more mobile QBs.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
It's interesting and I admit I thought the same thing, but it's also true that all four of CNS's NC at Bama have come with more traditional, drop back qbs under center (GMac, AJ (x 2) and Coker.

I loved our offense the year we had Blake Sims running it, but we also had Cooper who could have made me look good at qb.:wink:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I do. But then I immediately start thinking about the offensive coordinator that dreamed it up. With this kind of all-out investment, I hope Lane sticks it out in the long haul and see's it through.
As long as the guy can pass, it isn't though. Blake Barnett might be the best example, nothing is being given up in terms of his passing ability, he just happens to be able to run well to.

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now
As long as the guy can pass, it isn't though. Blake Barnett might be the best example, nothing is being given up in terms of his passing ability, he just happens to be able to run well to.

Nothing wrong with having a QB with a plan B when pressure is on. I would like Lane to see it through.

The Blake Sims era was a nice demonstration on how explosive the new rules let you be. But it's the balance and the physical identity we are always looking for. I see doing both.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
Star Jackson
Geno Smith
Braxton Miller
Jacoby Brissett
Jameis Winston
Tyrone Swoopes
Malik Zaire
DeShone Kizer
Deshaun Watson
Kyle Allen
De'Andre Johnson
Torrance Gibson
Travis Waller
Blake Barnett
Brandon Wimbush
Jarrett Stidham
Woody Barrett
Jarrett Guarantano
Jalen Hurts
Jawon Pass
Shea Patterson

Those are just some of the players offered scholarships by Alabama Rivals listed as "DUAL" or "ATH." (Included Kyle Allen since he's mobile even though Rivals classifies him as pro-style.) This isn't anything new with Saban. He's just not starting to sign the more mobile QBs.
I agree ... I think this is an element in the offense that Saban has been wanting for quite some time now. I still hold true to the fact that we would have a heck of a power-based offense with a quality Qb that can make passes and run. Its too many schools that have had success with this type of QB over the years plus given us fits at the same time. its one of the main reasons why our defense now looks the way it does in a good way.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Nothing wrong with having a QB with a plan B when pressure is on.
Right, I think Nick Saban is always going to want to have his QBs pass first, but there's no question he likes the potential of an elusive quarterback as well. Blake Sims is a great example because he wasn't an NFL talent, but he had good legs and a solid arm and that goes a long way in college.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Since Nick Saban doesn't run an option attack, I would say he prefers his QB to be a throw first kind of guy.
I think the original point was that Nick wants his QB to be a "take whatever the Defense is giving" guy. If that means a running play, do that, if it means a passing play, do that, if it means a run/pass option do that. #1 thing for Saban will always be getting the right play called at the LOS.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I think the original point was that Nick wants his QB to be a "take whatever the Defense is giving" guy. If that means a running play, do that, if it means a passing play, do that, if it means a run/pass option do that. #1 thing for Saban will always be getting the right play called at the LOS.
From what I understand about Nick Saban's view on the offense is he's very risk adverse. He's said a number of times he's happy with any possession that ends in a kick.

I think we'd all agree there are some situations that call for a designed run, but I just don't see Nick Saban as using his quarterback primarily as a runner unless he really has no other choice. There's a lot more than can go wrong once you start using your quarterback in this manner, more injury risks, more fumbles, etc...

I firmly believe Nick Saban would prefer his quarterback pass when it is available and for the runs to be to evade contact, when the defense is giving him too much space, or on short yardage situations that call for it. It is just hard for me to imagine him setting aside a core part of his philosophy to get away from the pass first philosophy. Even Blake Sims threw for ten times as many yards as he ran for, and we're talking about a guy that played running back. I just think Nick Saban loves having that additional weapon, the potential for someone to turn a sack into a gain, the ability for a quarterback to force the defense to either account for him or make some big gains. I do not at all believe he's going to do anything like Auburn did with Nick Marshall. Like I said Blake threw for ten times as many yards his senior year as he ran. Nick Marshall in 2013? He passed for 1976 and ran for 1068 (and rushed for twice as many TDs). I really don't think that's what Nick wants out of the position.

On another note, my wife messaged me and asked what I thought about the new QB. At first I was confused since she doesn't follow recruiting and I thought she must have got it into her head that a starter was announced or something. But no, she is like Alabama got a left-handed quarterback from Hawaii. She says she saw some videos and "he can run". So yeah, my wife who is from Europe is taking note of his talent so that has to say something.

Last edited:

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
From what I understand about Nick Saban's view on the offense is he's very risk adverse. He's said a number of times he's happy with any possession that ends in a kick.

I think we'd all agree there are some situations that call for a designed run, but I just don't see Nick Saban as using his quarterback primarily as a runner unless he really has no other choice. There's a lot more than can go wrong once you start using your quarterback in this manner, more injury risks, more fumbles, etc...

I firmly believe Nick Saban would prefer his quarterback pass when it is available and for the runs to be to evade contact, when the defense is giving him too much space, or on short yardage situations that call for it. It is just hard for me to imagine him setting aside a core part of his philosophy to get away from the pass first philosophy. Even Blake Sims threw for ten times as many yards as he ran for, and we're talking about a guy that played running back. I just think Nick Saban loves having that additional weapon, the potential for someone to turn a sack into a gain, the ability for a quarterback to force the defense to either account for him or make some big gains. I do not at all believe he's going to do anything like Auburn did with Nick Marshall. Like I said Blake threw for ten times as many yards his senior year as he ran. Nick Marshall in 2013? He passed for 1976 and ran for 1068 (and rushed for twice as many TDs). I really don't think that's what Nick wants out of the position.

On another note, my wife messaged me and asked what I thought about the new QB. At first I was confused since she doesn't follow recruiting and I thought she must have got it into her head that a starter was announced or something. But no, she is like Alabama got a left-handed quarterback from Hawaii. She says she saw some videos and "he can run". So yeah, my wife who is from Europe is taking note of his talent so that has to say something.
Agree wholeheartedly. Having said that, and even with a "throw first"" philosophy for his QB`s, I`m sure the dynamic that`s added to the offense with a QB that can run like a RB (like B. Sims ) is far from lost on Coach Saban.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
That's not how I interpreted the back and forth, but I very easily could have been wrong.

Pretty spot on, Krazy.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
I just think any QB is better if he's mobile. I don't ever see Saban running some high school offense. Those work for a time and then are figured out by better defences. I think he remains with the pros set but a pro set QB with wheels is better than one without.

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
Just saw one of his vids, VERY impressed. love his athleticism and his touch on putting air under the ball on deep throws instead of just gunning it.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.