Link: Alabama adds The Citadel to 2018 Football Schedule

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I think it can help us prepare for the barn's b.s. offense. Both teams makes sure we must stay at home on Defense. Of course I know they are two totally different offenses but still.

Like others have said I don't like playing teams who cut block like they do. I remember that FSU game all too well.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
All I can say is, Why?? Why would we schedule them? There are so many other teams I would like to see us play -
Even if we don't want a top tier competitor, we could still play someone like NC State, Indiana, BC, etc.
For Bama to schedule a FBS team on the next to last weekend of the season is virtually impossible. In 2015, for example, 90 of the remaining 113 (127-14SEC) FBS teams were playing conference games that weekend. Four of the remaining 23 were P5/IND playing conference mandated (BC at ND) or OOC (Rutgers at Army). Four of the remaining 19 were P5 that were either off (UT, TT, Neb) or playing OOC (FSU). None of which would come to Bama on that weekend even if given a return game. That leaves 15 non P5/IND FBS teams and apparently the ADs of those 15 have at least half a brain because Bama is the LAST place you want your team on that weekend needing two wins to become Bowl eligible.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
For Bama to schedule a FBS team on the next to last weekend of the season is virtually impossible. In 2015, for example, 90 of the remaining 113 (127-14SEC) FBS teams were playing conference games that weekend. Four of the remaining 23 were P5/IND playing conference mandated (BC at ND) or OOC (Rutgers at Army). Four of the remaining 19 were P5 that were either off (UT, TT, Neb) or playing OOC (FSU). None of which would come to Bama on that weekend even if given a return game. That leaves 15 non P5/IND FBS teams and apparently the ADs of those 15 have at least half a brain because Bama is the LAST place you want your team on that weekend needing two wins to become Bowl eligible.
We are a victim of our own success. Can we not move a conference game there and play a better ooc game earlier in the season?

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
We are a victim of our own success. Can we not move a conference game there and play a better ooc game earlier in the season?
So you would rather have to play, say, Arkansas and Auburn back to back, just to add a team like Indiana to the already top 5 schedule in the nation?

You can call me crazy (or Krazy), but last time I checked the goal was a National Championship...not making the schedule so difficult it costs you a shot at a title.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
So you would rather have to play, say, Arkansas and Auburn back to back, just to add a team like Indiana to the already top 5 schedule in the nation?

You can call me crazy (or Krazy), but last time I checked the goal was a National Championship...not making the schedule so difficult it costs you a shot at a title.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
We have this argument every year but people still insist we load nd, OU, tosu, and Texas in a schedule in place of a tune up game like wcu or csu.

bodiddle

All-SEC
May 14, 2006
I like to see competitive games, just not when Bama is playing. I would be happy if ever game Bama played was a total blowout. Like 70-0 or even more.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
To me, this is the beauty of college football. At times there will be a gigantic mismatch, but I promise you these Citadel boys will remember this game for the rest of their lives.

"I played Alabama."

As was pointed out, it's basically impossible to schedule anyone else during that week. This is a team that nearly upset SC last year. While that might not say much, it demonstrates these guys aren't going to back down from us.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
They ran the triple option last season. Their coach left to go to James Madison. He was replaced by the offensive coordinator.

Surprised Saban would schedule another opponent like this after the Georgia Southern game.
My thoughts exactly. Southern ran for well over 300 yds against us that day IIRC. Expect a physical, hard-fought effort all the way around from this team. Other than that, I was surprised to learn that we had never played the Citadel before.

Last edited:

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I've said it before, I'll say it again. None of us have to actually play the game, and that's pertinent.
Agreed. I think everyone knows when most of us use term "I" we aren't speaking of ourselves playing the game any longer, instead its more directed toward our attachment as a fan base to the team. But I do appreciate you clarifying that "I" am not actually playing the game any longer.

Last edited:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Agreed. I think everyone knows when most of us use term "I" we aren't speaking of ourselves playing the game any longer, instead its more directed toward our attachment as a fan base to the team. But I do appreciate you clarifying that "I" am not actually playing the game any longer.
They part you did not acknowledge is that they have to pay a higher physical toll for playing SEC (or other "big") games. Both Nick Saban and Bear Bryant have alluded to the price to be paid for playing especially tough games, so we can make flippantly want to make them play these games but I am pointing out the fact that the game can take a toll well beyond merely another chance to lose. They have to play it, they have to get up for the game, they have to heal after. We can demand more entertainment without sacrificing anything but a chance to cheer for them in the championship game, but that doesn't mean they are physically capable of doing what we want them to.

Last edited:

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
They part you did not acknowledge is that they have to pay a higher physical toll for playing SEC (or other "big") games. Both Nick Saban and Bear Bryant have alluded to the price to be paid for playing especially tough games, so we can make flippantly want to make them play these games but I am pointing out the fact that the game can take a toll well beyond merely another chance to lose. They have to play it, they have to get up for the game, they have to heal after. We can demand more entertainment without sacrificing anything but a chance to cheer for them in the championship game, but that doesn't mean they are physically capable of doing what we want them to.
Agreed. I'd selfishly like to see an exciting, competitive and meaningful game each and every week but very few rosters, if any, are deep enough to actually handle the "next man up" scenario like Alabama.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I would liken it to a boxer. I heard Evander Holyfield say one time how long it took him to get over a heavyweight bought and it seemed like it was a very long time, but every boxing fan thinks these boxers should be fighting every three months like Mike Tyson did when he was younger. That is just impossible for them to do and with football if you start losing depth in key positions, you will start to lose and then people will not want to watch that product being put on the field every game. Every time I watch us play LSU I can't imagine what the guys feel like the next couple of weeks because it is as physical of a football game as you will see every year.

Tennis

Jan 20, 2010
I love it, will take my father in law to the game who played for the Bulldogs in the early 50's when AL DAVIS was an assistant coach.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
"The Alabama Crimson Tide have added The Citadel Bulldogs to their 2018 football schedule, according to an announcement on Tuesday.

Alabama will host The Citadel at Bryant-Denny Stadium in Tuscaloosa on Nov. 17, 2018. The game will be the first ever meeting between the two schools."

Alabama adds The Citadel to 2018 Football Schedule

For some reason I thought I remembered us playing the Citadel. Back in the days when we also played William and Mary. (Memory ain't what it used to be...)

MikeD

Suspended
Feb 24, 2007

Really?

Guess I would rather focus on auburn than have a life and death struggle the week before we play them.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.