Link: Alabama adds The Citadel to 2018 Football Schedule

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
Aren't they a triple option wishbone type team? I hope they don't run through us like something through a tin horn! RTR!

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
Aren't they a triple option wishbone type team? I hope they don't run through us like something through a tin horn! RTR!
Oh, please, don't say it's so! First it was Western Carolina, then Chattanooga now The Citadel? The next thing you know, we'll have to play VMI, Wofford, or maybe even Mercer. I hate it so much when we have to play teams so superior to us! Boohoooo

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
As long as we don't schedule ndsu I'm fine with every fcs team we schedule.
I actually want to see this happen. It would be an entertaining game. I understand we have nothing to gain from it. Still would like to see the match. Probably would be more competitive than some FBS teams we could play.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The last time I saw them (against FSU in 2013 or 2014) they were a cut blocking option team...so they're no laughing matter and they play tough like you'd expect from military type institution.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I'm a little worried if they are still a cut blocking team. I have no problem with playing an FCS team, but I think the style offense they play matters. This might be a case of it being tough to find an opponent though.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I actually want to see this happen. It would be an entertaining game. I understand we have nothing to gain from it. Still would like to see the match. Probably would be more competitive than some FBS teams we could play.
If it would be early in the season I might be kinda ok about it, but not the week before auburn. NDSU believes it is in the game until the final whistle sounds.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Not a fan of scheduling triple option, cut blocking teams that late in the year.

I'd rather schedule Jacksonville State to get an actual worthwhile gauge of what we'll face against Auburn. No blue font.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
They ran the triple option last season. Their coach left to go to James Madison. He was replaced by the offensive coordinator.

Surprised Saban would schedule another opponent like this after the Georgia Southern game.

DallasRTR

3rd Team
Jul 26, 2007
All I can say is, Why?? Why would we schedule them? There are so many other teams I would like to see us play -
Even if we don't want a top tier competitor, we could still play someone like NC State, Indiana, BC, etc.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
There are so many other teams I would like to see us play
Because that part has absolutely nothing to do with who you want to see them play and everything to do with what they want and need.

I would assume, due to the brutality of the Alabama schedule, the idea is to get the backups in as early as possible and to have a home game. Two things that would prove difficult when you schedule the likes of NC State, Indiana, Boston College (if they'd want to jeopardize a bowl game and schedule Alabama in the first place). I don't get why some people act like they don't understand this. The only thing that's really debatable is why Alabama would schedule a team that might cut block. The rest is abundantly obvious.

TiderMan

All-SEC
Feb 5, 2005
Moody, AL.
Because that part has absolutely nothing to do with who you want to see them play and everything to do with what they want and need.

I would assume, due to the brutality of the Alabama schedule, the idea is to get the backups in as early as possible and to have a home game. Two things that would prove difficult when you schedule the likes of NC State, Indiana, Boston College (if they'd want to jeopardize a bowl game and schedule Alabama in the first place). I don't get why some people act like they don't understand this. The only thing that's really debatable is why Alabama would schedule a team that might cut block. The rest is abundantly obvious.
We all understand why these type games are played but some us us still want to see better match-ups. Now it may be hard to get better match-ups due to the time of season that Bama wants to play this game in mid November. Most of the other Big 5 Power conferences, schedule conference games every week in November and it is probably difficult to get a better opponent. However, it doesn't make us wrong for wanting better competition.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
it doesn't make us wrong for wanting better competition.
Alabama had the #1 SoS last season and routinely has one of the toughest schedules in the nation. What is your idea of better competition? NFL teams? I mean what do people really want Alabama players to have to endure when they already endure more than any other college team?

It does kind of make you wrong, if the toughest still isn't tough enough...

Edit: I do understand the entertainment value, I want interesting matchups thing. I understand that, but I also know those games are an obstacle, a hindrance to winning championships. What I want, is Alabama playing in the championship game and I would assume that's what people making the schedule want to. But I also feel like people don't give Alabama enough credit, to hear people talk you'd think Alabama didn't play one of the toughest schedules in the nation.

Alabama played the #1 SoS last year and guess what? It was #2 the year before. Each of those seasons featured FCS opponents late. What more does anyone want?

Last edited:

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I love these types of games as a fan. I don't mind at all being able to relax on a weekend in the football season not worrying about whether we will win or not. Something has to give sooner or later. They keep adding games to the football season and there is just no way to continue to maintain the high level of play we as fans expect. They can only get up so many times during a year. The Citadel is just a chance to build depth for the playoffs or next year.

TiderMan

All-SEC
Feb 5, 2005
Moody, AL.
Alabama had the #1 SoS last season and routinely has one of the toughest schedules in the nation. What is your idea of better competition? NFL teams? I mean what do people really want Alabama players to have to endure when they already endure more than any other college team?

It does kind of make you wrong, if the toughest still isn't tough enough...

Edit: I do understand the entertainment value, I want interesting matchups thing. I understand that, but I also know those games are an obstacle, a hindrance to winning championships. What I want, is Alabama playing in the championship game and I would assume that's what people making the schedule want to. But I also feel like people don't give Alabama enough credit, to hear people talk you'd think Alabama didn't play one of the toughest schedules in the nation.

Alabama played the #1 SoS last year and guess what? It was #2 the year before. Each of those seasons featured FCS opponents late. What more does anyone want?
I never said Bama didn't play a tough schedule. I just prefer not to play these lower level FCS (1-AA) type schools. I guess we will agree not to agree on this.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.