GA News: OnlineAthens - UGA QB questions will be coming all offseason for Kirby Smart

TideFans Reporter

Click for Real-Time Bama News
Sep 21, 2006
From OnlineAthens.com
May 3rd, 2016 07:45 AM

The only real developments for Georgia quarterbacks this week is they will be taking spring semester final exams like the rest of students at the university starting on Wednesday.
“Our kids are off, they’re getting ready for finals,” coach Kirby Smart said. “When we got through the spring game, they’ve had discretionary periods. They haven’t been throwing and doing a lot of that.”
That won’t keep Smart from fielding questions this week about how he’ll manage a position where Greyson Lambert, Brice Ramsey and freshman Jacob Eason are competing.
The subject came up when Smart sat down with some media members before playing in the Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl Challenge charity golf tournament Monday at Reynolds Plantation.
Expect him to be asked again when SEC East coaches hold a spring teleconference on Wednesday. Fans that come to hear him speak Wednesday in Macon and Thursday in Columbus for UGA events probably will get a run-down from Smart.
Smart said the week after G-Day that coaches would need “to figure this thing out” in about the first 20 practices in August. Lambert started all but one game last season and got first-team reps this spring with Ramsey. Eason led all quarterbacks on G-Day with 244 passing yards.
Here is what Smart said Monday on the quarterbacks:
-If he had to play more than one quarterback in the opener against North Carolina, would he be comfortable with that scenario? “I’m always comfortable with that. I think you play the guy that gives you the best opportunity to win. I think you make that judgment during the game, how guys are playing, how they’ve played in the 28 practices prior to that. I think I’d be open to that but certainly it’s not something that I think is beneficial for the overall program but if one guy is not playing well, you’ve got to be willing to do that.”
--On if the player who starts doesn’t get all the No. 1 reps during the summer, would it hurt his development? “I don’t think so because we get equal reps for our 1s, 2s, 3s. I think you can get three quarterbacks during summer and during fall camp ready to play. They kind of take care of themselves as far as reps go. The better they play, the more they get.”
--On Eason helping to organize 7-on-7 offseason work: “A lot of that will come up this summer. We’ll encourage those kids to do it on their own and go out there and throw. He was part of that prior to spring so he threw before spring but he hasn’t done a whole lot of it right now. The older guys are going to have a little bit of a leg up on him as far as that goes because they’ve done it before. Once he’s out there throwing, it doesn’t matter to me who’s organizing it, it’s the fact he’s out there throwing.”

...READ MORE HERE...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.