Link: CFN: Alabama Crimson Tide Preview 2016

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
The team that was on no ones' radar going into conference championship weekend. Yes, that one.
That's not true. They were on people's radar. People were curious how the committee would handle them winning a championship while TCU and Baylor split one.

I believe he means the team that won neither their division nor their conference and didn't back into the CFP because they,... wait for it... lost at home by 3 points on a game ending FG! I find that hilariously ironic because that is EXACTLY why there is a CFP instead of a BCS.
He's talking 2014, not 2015.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Let's consider Alabama goes 13-0 and wins the SEC. Let's consider LSU finishes 11-1, dominating its schedule aside from a 21-20 loss to Alabama in early November in which they out gain Alabama 450 yards to 287, but turn the ball over 3 times.

Florida State wins the ACC and finishes 11-2. No other team in the ACC has less than 2 losses.

Notre Dame finishes 12-0.

Oklahoma wins the Big 12 with a 11-1 record. No other Big 12 team has less than 2 losses.

Stanford wins the Pac 12 with a 11-2 record. No other Pac 12 team has less than 2 losses.

Wisconsin (9-3), upsets Ohio State (11-1), in the Big Ten championship. No other team in the Big Ten has less than 2 losses.

No group of 5 team finishes the season undefeated.

What is your final 4? Alabama vs. LSU, and Notre Dame vs. Oklahoma, I'd be willing to bet.

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now
Let's consider Alabama goes 13-0 and wins the SEC. Let's consider LSU finishes 11-1, dominating its schedule aside from a 21-20 loss to Alabama in early November in which they out gain Alabama 450 yards to 287, but turn the ball over 3 times.

Florida State wins the ACC and finishes 11-2. No other team in the ACC has less than 2 losses.

Oklahoma wins the Big 12 with a 11-1 record. No other Big 12 team has less than 2 losses.

Stanford wins the Pac 12 with a 11-2 record. No other Pac 12 team has less than 2 losses.

Wisconsin (9-3), upsets Ohio State (11-1), in the Big Ten championship. No other team in the Big Ten has less than 2 losses.

What is your final 4? Alabama vs. LSU, and Notre Dame vs. Oklahoma, I'd be willing to bet.

I like it. Really nothing that has happened the last two years with the playoff committee would realistically suggest that a dominate non-conference champion couldn't be there. Just look at the love the big 10 got right up to their ccg and they were hardly dominate.

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
"the life (however long that might be) of the current four-team CFP system" ends when a non-conference champion backs into the playoff. Just as the BCS died. IIRC, the BCS got three strikes before they were out. The CFP will get but one. They are not going to swing and miss unless they want to die.
I think it depends on the circumstances. If you think that there is even the slightest sincerity in the CFP Committee's mission statement - to select the four best teams - and if we then someday encounter TideEngineer08's scenario, a narrow loss by an otherwise dominant SEC team could get them in, especially if the team they lost to wins the conference in resounding fashion. I grant you the odds are long, and although I believe the CFP was set up to minimize the odds of a 2011-esque recurrence, no system that doesn't explicitly exclude non-conference champions can ever eliminate those odds...

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA

Might depend on the other loss sustained by Stanford. Might not. Obviously one of their losses is to ND because you have ND undefeated, and Stanford plays at ND. What if Stanford loses at ND by a score of 20-21 in which they out gain ND 450 yards to 287, but turn the ball over 3 times?

My final 4 would then be Alabama vs. Stanford and Notre Dame vs. Oklahoma. So would the CFP's. :biggrin:

Because Stanford is a conference champion and LSU is not. Stanford's 20-21 loss to undefeated ND is on the road. LSU's 20-21 loss to undefeated Alabama is at home. Plus Stanford, and the PAC 12, was left out in 2015. Like it or not, all of that would come into play.

Last edited:

tide96

All-SEC
Oct 4, 2005
If we had the playoff in 2011, do you really think Alabama would have been left out? I don't.

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now
If we had the playoff in 2011, do you really think Alabama would have been left out? I don't.

Not if you crunch the numbers after CCG.

2008 - BCS #4
2009 - BCS Champs
2010 - Can't win them all
2011 - BCS Champs
2012 - Champs
2013 - BCS #4
2014 - BCS #1
2015 - Champs

Hard to believe the CFP committee thought this was Bama-proofing anything.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Would have had LSU, Oklahoma State, and Stanford as the top three teams. The fourth team would have come down to Alabama (11-1) and Boise State (11-1).

No telling how a committee would have gone with that decision.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.