Alabama Looks to be Participating in Satellite Camp

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Should be noted this seems similar to what Alabama has done in the past by having smaller schools (Troy, Samford, USA, etc) on campus during Saban's camp. This one just appears to be in Homewood and hosted by Samford.

Link

Though Nick Saban has been an outspoken critic of the concept, Samford University is advertising Crimson Tide coaches will be part of its June 11 "Mega Prospect Camp." Technically, this would have been allowed under the previous rule since the Homewood campus is just under the 50-mile radius barrier.

How many and which Alabama coaches are involved remains unclear. Alabama officials on Tuesday evening could not confirm the school's involvement.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
My understanding was that Saban did not agree to the traveling type of satellite camp, where a school like Alabama hosts a camp outside of the state. I never got the sense that he was against coaches attending camps hosted by other programs.

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
Correct the sec coaches seemed to like the idea of a limited range of camps which sort of sounds like what will eventually happen. I'm all for a 300-500 mile, or something similar, radius of satellite camps.

But if they exist you may as wel utilize them.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
The camp in this story is NOT a satellite camp. It is a Samford camp being held at Samford. If it was a Samford camp being held at Alabama, or vice versa, then it would be a satellite camp.

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
I heard a rumor that Alabama, USC, Ohio St and TCU were talking about a camp in TX. TCU would be the host site. Not sure if this is legit or not. If so, ole Jim may have started something he might wish he had not. Lol

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
Combo camps have been going on for a while and is different from a school just picking an advantageous spot and doing their own thing.

I don't think this will cause Harbaugh any grief whatsoever. He needs a more free flow of talent, and the more combo camps there are the more likely that talent will get noticed and move out of the local area.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
I heard a rumor that Alabama, USC, Ohio St and TCU were talking about a camp in TX. TCU would be the host site. Not sure if this is legit or not. If so, ole Jim may have started something he might wish he had not. Lol
Absolutely nothing illegal about this because it is NOT a satellite camp. This would be a TCU camp being held at TCU with the other schools participating.

And giving Harbaugh the credit for starting something that was nothing new is akin to the barn getting credit for the ban on the use of limos in recruiting because they were getting the publicity. The NCAA said that ban originated with the Big East. Visualize Hummer limos sitting at Lebron James' HS and you get the picture.

Mike Riley, among others, has been doing the satellite camps for years. Without the publicity. Big East basketball coaches were aware of James' affinity for Hummers long before the barn started driving around in that silly cheap white limo.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
While technically this Samford camp isn't a satellite camp, the ban on satellite camps would not have allowed for the numerous schools to be present.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
While technically this Samford camp isn't a satellite camp, the ban on satellite camps would not have allowed for the numerous schools to be present.
Yup, thus the reversal. If I understand correctly it was the fact that combo camps (mostly with one big name school, and a smaller schools) got caught up in rush for a rule change.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Yup, thus the reversal. If I understand correctly it was the fact that combo camps (mostly with one big name school, and a smaller schools) got caught up in rush for a rule change.
And it became pretty evident the coaches against the satellite camp had no intention of doing so.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.