Politics: VP Pick em Thread

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Looks like it could be Kasich for Trump now. You better believe Billary will be someone so far to the left it will make you puke, I know that much!

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
Looks like it could be Kasich for Trump now. You better believe Billary will be someone so far to the left it will make you puke, I know that much!
I do not particularly like Kasich's views but I did respect his temperament when he was running. If he runs with Trump I will lose that respect, for what its worth.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Along these lines, here's an amusing "McLaughlin Group" speculating on Clinton's pick for VP in 1992.

For those who don't want to waste four minutes of your life watching it:

THE POSSIBLE LISTED CHOICES
Senator Bill Bradley
Senator Tom Harkin
Senator Bob Kerrey
Senator George Mitchell (then Majority Leader)
Senator Jay Rockefeller
Former Senator Paul Tsongas
Governor Douglas Wilder
Senator Harris Wofford (who - and I'm amazed nobody started a thread on this, thank God - is marrying a man after fifty years of being married to his now deceased wife - she died 20 years ago)

WHO SHOULD BE DROPPED FROM THIS LIST?
Clift - Tsongas, Harkin, and Rockefeller (nothing to gain from those states plus rumors that turned out to be true that Tsongas's cancer had returned) - she also said to add former Arizona Governor Bruce Babbitt (who wound up Interior Secretary). She later comes back and says Bob Kerrey should be included because his Medal of Honor brings the 'aura of foreign policy experience'

Fred Barnes - only 2 names on this list even make sense, Bill Bradley (because you win NJ - the GOP had won NJ six straight times at the time of this program) and Harris Wofford (because he's Catholic and Clinton needs PA). Barnes agrees with Clift that Rockefeller ain't a choice.

Chris Mathews agrees with Barnes that Bradley puts NJ in the Clinton win column. Mathews then says Bradley is the ONLY name that even belongs on that list. Mathews then notes the improved ratings of Jack Kemp (Bush's HUD Secretary) and Bradley - and talks about the black vote they can help obtain to a degree. Mathews later states that Bob Kerrey will NOT be chosen because 'the candidate HAS to be married.' He also says that being unmarried (in 1992) is also why John Kerry and Doug Wilder won't be considered. As dumb as this sounds, Mathews then says something accurate - you can't have a divorced VP (ruling out Mitchell and Bob Kerrey a second time) BECAUSE of Clinton's marital problems (e.g. philandering).

(They pontificate about the lack of foreign policy experience of those listed).

Clarence Page then touts Bradley and says perhaps the most true thing in the Clown Car - that foreign policy experience isn't even on the radar of people. Page also thinks Rockefeller is a possible choice.

They finish up by saying Bradley is the most likely pick and Rockefeller second.

Al Gore's name is never even mentioned in the entire discussion.

======================

According to the detailed book about the 1992 election by Jules Witcover and the late Jack Germond ("Mad As Hell"), there were FIVE possible choices considered by Clinton (technically, six):

1) Al Gore
2) Bob Graham - Florida Senator who had been governor; in fact, the reason they hurried the announcement was because Graham had to declare whether or not he was going to run for re-election by the next day, July 9
3) Bob Kerrey
4) Harris Wofford
5) Lee Hamilton, a Representative from Indiana who impressed the pols with his even-handed handling of the Iran-Contra hearings (problem was - aside from the fact Indiana is basically a congenital Republican state plus the VP was from there at the time - NOBODY other than the politicians even knew who Hamilton was)
6) Mario Cuomo, NY Governor

Cuomo was never vetted. The decision came down to Clinton was either going to pick Gore or Bob Kerrey. The choice of Gore was driven primarily to cut into Bush's Southern base (especially with Perot still in the race at the time and splitting the vote enough to possibly throw some Southern states into the D column) and Gore being married while Kerrey was not. Keep in mind that the choice of either of these guys was really driven by the idea to inoculate Clinton against the draft dodging charge of Vietnam (who better than two former Vietnam vets, one a Medal of Honor winner?) - plus Clinton had more freedom to choose because the Left was getting desperate to win again so they were willing to swallow the alleged moderate Gore in hopes of winning.

=================

I just found this interesting. I'll be back with a guess later and have no earthly idea. I've been right (Edwards in 2004, Palin and Biden in 2008) and I've been wrong (although I thought Kemp was the right pick in 96, he and Dole weren't overly fond of one another so I didn't figure Kemp would run......or Liebermann or Ryan, neither of whom I saw coming).

danb

All-SEC
Dec 4, 2011
Hazel Green, AL
I think Trump will nominate C Cristie as his VP.....he'll need him to help pull in the NE states that normally side Democrat, and since he's based there, he can't help but be biased to try and win those states....... Not my original choice in the GOP, but, now that he's essentially the nominee, I say....
TRUMP FOR PREZ......or PEDRO! Whoever can keep Billary from taking charge!!!!

Or are we...(in the words of the late great Merle Haggard...) Rollin downhill like a snowball headed for hell.....with no kinda chance for the flag, or the liberty bell....?

Last edited:

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
A governor would make the most sense.

And without question.....one who the country would be OK with, should he/she have to take over as POTUS.

Not sure who that would be but that's the main criteria as I see it.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I think Trump will nominate C Cristie as his VP.....he'll need him to help pull in the NE states that normally side Democrat, and since he's based there, he can't help but be biased to try and win those states....... Not my original choice in the GOP, but, now that he's essentially the nominee, I say....
TRUMP FOR PREZ......or PEDRO! Whoever can keep Billary from taking charge!!!!

Or are we...(in the words of the late great Merle Haggard...) Rollin downhill like a snowball headed for hell.....with no kinda chance for the flag, or the liberty bell....?
i don't get the feeling that folks in the north east are particularly fond of the outlaw jersey whale

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
A governor would make the most sense.

And without question.....one who the country would be OK with, should he/she have to take over as POTUS.

Not sure who that would be but that's the main criteria as I see it.
Not for Trump it wouldn't.

Trump needs a respected Senator with DC connections and some foreign policy experience if he's going to play 'let's fill in the gaps.' Kasich will win him Ohio and brings strength to the budget issues but.......(ftr - since the end of the Cold War, foreign policy doesn't even show up on the radar sans 2004)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.