Regulation cost

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
Anyone who has run a business is very aware. The article focused on regulations but the costs of licenses and fees are also part of the hidden costs. Of course politicians blame the evil corporations for driving the cost up because they want evil profits.
They also place the blame on business when they relocate outside of the country to avoid these burdens.

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
Regulation in and of itself is necessary, even in a free market. Pruning the ineffective and/or unnecessary regulation is where we fail miserably. Even more so, we fail to weed the crony capitalists from the political ranks. My good friend Inigo Montoya sums it up as follows:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Regulation in and of itself is necessary, even in a free market. Pruning the ineffective and/or unnecessary regulation is where we fail miserably. Even more so, we fail to weed the crony capitalists from the political ranks. My good friend Inigo Montoya sums it up as follows:

in the past year or two, some movement has been taking place to try to prune ineffective/unnecessary regulation

link to whitehouse.gov

To promote economic growth and job creation, we need cost-justified, evidence-based regulation. Which is why, almost exactly a year ago, President Obama issued an Executive Order calling for a government-wide review of regulations to reduce costs, to eliminate unnecessary burdens, and to get rid of what the President has called “absurd and unnecessary paperwork requirements that waste time and money.” Twenty-six executive agencies produced final plans, spanning over 800 pages and offering more than 500 proposals. Sixteen independent agencies followed suit, responding to a historic request from the President to eliminate unjustified costs on their own.
These changes are already producing measurable savings for consumers and businesses. Over the next five years, more than $10 billion in savings are anticipated from just a small fraction of the hundreds of initiatives now underway.

The effort to look back at existing rules, and to streamline, fix, or eliminate those that aren’t working, is now becoming a regular part of agency practice. One of the most important features of the current process is the continuing request for public suggestions – for ideas about regulations that might be streamlined, improved, reformed, or eliminated. We are already eliminating billions of dollars in unjustified costs; as the plans are implemented, we expect to save a great deal more.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
in the past year or two, some movement has been taking place to try to prune ineffective/unnecessary regulation

link to whitehouse.gov
I would like to see data to see how effective the program will be in the long run. 10billion is not enough ny half. If obama actually wants this to happen, and sees it through, then it would run contrary to what it seems is his agenda.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I would like to see data to see how effective the program will be in the long run. 10billion is not enough ny half. If obama actually wants this to happen, and sees it through, then it would run contrary to what conservatives say is his agenda.
fify ;)

its a fairly new program, and a move in the right direction, imho

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
I read the entire report in the OP link. Well written, nice graphs etc. I wish some examples had been given. I'm sure there is a report out there somewhere about the benefit of regulation.

Removing lead from gasoline has cost the consumer without a doubt but the dangers of lead are well documented.

The remodeling rules concerning lead and the newer ones concerning silica dust surely add to the cost of each job but how much is it worth to protect the health of the people who work in that environment?

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
I read the entire report in the OP link. Well written, nice graphs etc. I wish some examples had been given. I'm sure there is a report out there somewhere about the benefit of regulation.

Removing lead from gasoline has cost the consumer without a doubt but the dangers of lead are well documented.

The remodeling rules concerning lead and the newer ones concerning silica dust surely add to the cost of each job but how much is it worth to protect the health of the people who work in that environment?
I have been to a 3rd world country which transformed me from a free market view on regulation to a moderate republican view on. That being said, 1.9trillion dollars worth is too much. I was wandering what people think could be benificial to cut. 92tide posted a link sating they take suggestions which could be benificial if the general populace knows about it.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Surprisingly the cost benefit analysis is an extension of an executive order by Reagan in 1981.

https://newrepublic.com/article/81990/obama-cost-benefit-revolution
Long ago, cost-benefit analysis was a rallying cry for conservatives. It was brought to government by none other than Ronald Reagan, in Executive Order 12291 of 1981. Reagan was riding the wave of the deregulatory movement, which held that regulation of industry was excessive and stunted economic growth. His order stipulated that agencies should issue regulations only after finding that the benefits exceeded the costs.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Another view of the administrative state:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-tyranny-of-the-administrative-state-1497037492

Unelected bureaucrats not only write their own laws, they also interpret these laws and enforce them in their own courts with their own judges. All this is in blatant violation of the Constitution, says Mr. Hamburger, 60, a constitutional scholar and winner of the Manhattan Institute’s Hayek Prize last year for his scholarly 2014 book, “Is Administrative Law Unlawful?” (Spoiler alert: Yes.)

“Essentially, much of the Bill of Rights has been gutted,” he says, sitting in his office at Columbia Law School. “The government can choose to proceed against you in a trial in court with constitutional processes, or it can use an administrative proceeding where you don’t have the right to be heard by a real judge or a jury and you don’t have the full due process of law. Our fundamental procedural freedoms, which once were guarantees, have become mere options.”

In volume and complexity, the edicts from federal agencies exceed the laws passed by Congress by orders of magnitude. “The administrative state has become the government’s predominant mode of contact with citizens,” Mr. Hamburger says. “Ultimately this is not about the politics of left or right. Unlawful government power should worry everybody.”

crimson fan man

Hall of Fame
Aug 12, 2002
Athens Al

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL

I could not disagree more with your first statement; the instant a market becomes regulated, it is no longer a free market.

A free market's activity should only be determined by two things: market desires, i.e., consumer preferences, and competition.

The only government intervention into a free market for which one can make a logical, salient argument as being necessary is intervention which corrects an unnatural, self-sustaining monopoly within a given industry.

This does not, of course, preclude government action against individual corporations/businesses which operate in the free market - which should rest almost if not exclusively within the realm of criminal and/or civil allegations - when those entities engage in fraudulent activity.

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
I could not disagree more with your first statement; the instant a market becomes regulated, it is no longer a free market.

A free market's activity should only be determined by two things: market desires, i.e., consumer preferences, and competition.

The only government intervention into a free market for which one can make a logical, salient argument as being necessary is intervention which corrects an unnatural, self-sustaining monopoly within a given industry.

This does not, of course, preclude government action against individual corporations/businesses which operate in the free market -
which should rest almost if not exclusively within the realm of criminal and/or civil allegations - when those entities engage in fraudulent activity.
Precisely the regulations which I supported. All law is regulatory.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Today, NT16 posted a good read about regulatory forces in the "internet as a utility" thread. It is a very good article.

Last edited:

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Precisely the regulations which I supported. All law is regulatory.
You bolded the wrong part of the last sentence. The key part of that sentence was "when those entities engage in fraudulent activity".

The amount of legislation that should be required in order for State, local, and - especially - Federal government to A) correct unnatural, self-sustaining monopolies and B) address consumers being defrauded is very, very, very little compared to what we have now.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I'm not interested in a "Free market" in its purest form. The first thing that comes to mind is the food industry. Look at the crap being allowed into our food with regulations. Could you imagine what companies (for the sake of a dollar) would put into our food if there weren't any regulations? Are you a label reader? Guess what? How many companies would put the ingredients on their product if they weren't made to? My guess is zero. Russian roulette anyone?

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I'm not interested in a "Free market" in its purest form. The first thing that comes to mind is the food industry. Look at the crap being allowed into our food with regulations. Could you imagine what companies (for the sake of a dollar) would put into our food if there weren't any regulations? Are you a label reader? Guess what? How many companies would put the ingredients on their product if they weren't made to? My guess is zero. Russian roulette anyone?
I'd say OTC medicine would fall into that category as well. Anything ingested......

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.