Eight-Team Playoff With No Conference Championship Game - Thoughts?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Our arch nemesis (UVB, aka Clay) has thrown out an idea that has also been stated by Dan Weasel (heh heh) regarding the overlapping issues of the so-called playoff and the conference championship issue. Before I start this, let me say as CLEARLY AS POSSIBLE that I AM NOT ADVOCATING this. I am asking for input, hoping for some logical flow even if we disagree on the fine points. (Note that some of this is edited verbatim from 'his' site - before I'm accused of plagiarism)

===============================
The basic proposal works like this (I've edited it just a bit):

1) Eliminate Divisions

Have one division and take the top two teams in every conference to your title game. Instead of playing a round-robin division schedule with one yearly rival from the opposite side and one rotating opponent, do away with divisions and play three yearly rivals and play the other five teams in alternating years. The 14-team SEC would play every school home and home in a four-year window.

2) Eliminate the Conference Championship Game

Use that week instead to OPEN the playoff. The 'bad' thing about CCGs is that they allow upsets to take out teams that were indisputably superior over the rest of the season. It doesn't happen in the SEC very often, but it did in the Big 12 and has elsewhere as well.

3) Eight-Team Playoff - Five Conference Champions and Three Wildcards (this eliminates the 2011 Alabama problem that almost never happens)

There are some immediate problems but then again - aren't there always?

======================

The one way I could see this happening would be if they could actually convince the SEC that a first-round playoff game would generate more money than the SECCG does. That is an obvious problem, but there are a few others.

1) In theory, of course, you can have more than one unbeaten team in a conference if there's no title game. It rarely happens, but if the BCS showed us ANYTHING, it's that if it CAN happen, it WILL. It's unlikely, though, you could ever have more than TWO unbeaten teams finish the season (I guess it can be shown it could happen that you have three, but oh well). However, let's just assume 2009 involved a 14-team SEC and both Florida and Alabama made it through undefeated.
a) both teams would make a playoff (maybe....but what if you have ANOTHER conference or TWO with TWO unbeaten teams?)
b) would they be forced to face each other in the first round even if you surmised they were the two best teams or would there be seeding?
c) if there is seeding.......how does the 'sixth' conference champion (e.g. the co-champ) fare, as a champion or as a wild card?

2) This DOES make the 'conference champion' slugs very happy and eliminates that last hurdle of a potential 7-5 South Carolina divisional champ ending a BCS #2s national title dreams in a rematch (2010 Auburn-SCe could have turned out that way theoretically).

3) It does NOT add any EXTRA games to what we have now.......although it might now be even more tempting or better to drop one of the cupcake games.

4) Should the round of eight be a HOME game? This creates a MAJOR problem if you have 2009 Florida-Alabama........which team gets to host the game? Of course, this could be handled if they don't have to play one another in the first round a bit easier.

But there's an OBVIOUS problem I haven't addressed yet.......how do we select the 3 wild card teams?

Polls? Do we bring back the BCS computer rankings and go by 'team that didn't win conference championship? SoS?

HOW?????

This is where krazy's point comes out more clearly than ever before - no matter what method you use, SOMEBODY is going to complain. Add it to eight teams? Team nine is going to complain (heck, we see this now with March Madness).

I do think this has the potential at least of not overly diluting the regular season - it also provides incentive for a team that might have played a killer schedule and has an early close conference loss or a disputed official's call loss but looks like 'the best team at this time of year' when selection is made.

Try not to get overly emotional. I'm not ADVOCATING it, I'm ASKING about it. But some of it sounds pretty good to me.

The ONE thing I want gone is the committee of bias.

Last edited:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I have three issues with this. It's not the worst possible scenario, but I'm sure you are surprised to hear I have some concerns. For the sake of anyone that doesn't know, I'd still prefer to have the BCS so it is clear where I'm coming from.

1: I do not like automatic inclusion at all. A lot of times in discussions I think people get so lost in the importance of winning a conference, or in how many conference games are played, and forget that it is all relative to the quality of the conference. Under the BCS agreement we saw some pretty suspect teams make it into the BCS bowls purely on the basis of automatic inclusion. I think that criteria poisons almost any process and actually did some harm to the BCS as well. It was hard to justify having Uconn playing in a BCS bowl game for instance. I am firmly of the belief that the most deserving teams in the regular season are the ones that should be playing for a championship, not because they happened to win a conference. Conference championships of any sort, much like playoffs put heightened importance on particular games, while I don't believe just winning certain games is really a good measure of how deserving a team is.

2: All along I have feared the growth of playoffs and I don't know if expansion can be kept at bay. If history has taught is anything though it's that playoffs tend to grow until they overshadow the regular season. This 8 team playoff doesn't add more games but it does seem to cast a longer shadow over the regular season. What's to say it would stop there? How long after we got the 4 team playoff, did it take for people to start talking about an expansion? Was it days or minutes?

3: It easy for a conference like the Big 12, who has already given up their championship game, or even for the other members of the Power 5 to give up their championship games because it isn't such an integral part of their identity. It is newer for them, but for the SEC the conference championship game is a big deal. It would be a lot to sacrifice that and a part the SEC's way of doing things for the sake of a playoff. I'd argue one resolution for the whole, lose and you are out of a playoff problem to just remove that conference champion stuff altogether and then you just pick the four best teams. If a team was a clear #1 before a conference championship game, they should have a chance to stay in the top four.

I suppose it's ironic that in the BCS era there was, generally speaking, an additional round already with the conference championship games. Now, it's almost like an eight team playoff, but I'd rather see that dialed back a bit by just taking the top 4 period (yes, the BCS computers), than moving to a scenario which hypothetically might not even have the top 5 anyway. It does feel a bit like the whole thing was setup to force some sort of an expansion though doesn't it?

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
The committee has been a political joke. I love Condi Rice to death, but she isn't my idea of a NCAA Football Committee Member.
I had rather see retired coaches, knowledgeable commentators ect... (FOOTBALL PEOPLE) :eek:

Last edited:

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
No -- because if you do 8, then 2 years later, people will want 16......this isn't Basketball -- you can't play 2-3 nights in a row.

The Conference Championship Games are basically Quarterfinal Games already....

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Something doesn't seem to be adding up here.
Yeah, I was just about to post the same thing. And how does one choose the five conference champions without the championship games? It would be very hard to determine even which two teams are the top two without divisions. Way too many 1 loss teams are possible.

Last edited:

tide96

All-SEC
Oct 4, 2005
So would would have been the SEC Champion in 2009 without a conference championship game?

bamaboyinnh

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 21, 2008
New Hampshire
I agree with KrAzY3. I liked the BCS system better. I also think that 4 teams is enough for a playoff. If you go to 8, then the talk will quickly turn to when are we going to expand to 16. The regular season isn't going to mean anything after awhile just like in basketball. The SEC championship is a big deal. Without it, and no divisions, it gets harder to determine who is the conference champion.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
With the de facto playoff games created by the CFP vote in the last 2-3 weeks of the season, along with the CCGs, we already have what amounts to an 8-12 team playoff. IMO, the regular season in CFB is the greatest thing in all of sports. Needs to be left alone.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
Things can be changed at anytime, but don't we have a full decade before the current agreement runs out? For me, looking into intricacies of individual plans and discussing them is meaningless when there is very little chance it will actually be changed. At this point I think that is the case. You guys go right ahead if you want. :)

I'm happy enough that Bama has won championships under every format. If they change to this, it will be just another case to prove they can.

Last edited:

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I don't like it. A 9-2 team could possibly and very realistically be ranked 8th and competing with a 11-0 number one ranked team for a national title. That's totally unjust and undeserved in my opinion. Four teams are plenty. I wish they'd just leave it alone. Personally, I liked the BCS.

tide power fan

All-SEC
Nov 26, 2011
I don't like it. A 9-2 team could possibly and very realistically be ranked 8th and competing with a 11-0 number one ranked team for a national title. That's totally unjust and undeserved in my opinion. Four teams are plenty. I wish they'd just leave it alone. Personally, I liked the BCS.
Agree

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
I don't like this at all. The BCS worked pretty well in my opinion, but it's not coming back. I love the conference championship games and four playoff teams is plenty. If they start messing with this now in would kind of be opening pandora's box. It would be good to rotate the selection committee members every now and then to keep it fresh.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I am not opposed to an 8 team playoff, but I am very opposed to each P5 conference automatically having its champion make the playoff. The top 8 teams should make it - period. I also think that the top 4 teams should get to host a home game in the first round, and the money should be handled as if it were a regular season home game. Let the top 4 teams profit for their excellence.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
I am not opposed to an 8 team playoff, but I am very opposed to each P5 conference automatically having its champion make the playoff. The top 8 teams should make it - period. I also think that the top 4 teams should get to host a home game in the first round, and the money should be handled as if it were a regular season home game. Let the top 4 teams profit for their excellence.
Does anyone here think that teams 5-8 from laat year deserved to be in the championship game last year? If not then why expand from om 4 to 8.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
Does anyone here think that teams 5-8 from laat year deserved to be in the championship game last year? If not then why expand from om 4 to 8.
Agree, The issue with the BCS was that several times there wasn't much difference for 2 to 3 and 3 may have been the better team. So if you include 3 you need 4 to make an even playoff. Now when you look at 5-8, they just don't belong. I don't think the best team in college football was left standing outside the last two years and I doubt the best team will ever be left behind with the 4 team playoff.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
I think Ohio St. was the second best team in the country, and Stanford was better than Michigan St. So, two of 5-8 yes...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
What I don't want to see is a team going into their final regular season game not having to win to make the playoff. This could start to happen with 8 teams and very likely to happen with 16. I could see players not giving 100% and coaches resting players so they don't get hurt for the playoffs. It could make the final game of the regular season rather meaningless except for bragging rights.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
I think Ohio St. was the second best team in the country, and Stanford was better than Michigan St. So, two of 5-8 yes...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
And the big game probably would have still been Bama versis Clemson with the same result. If I were to make a change to the system it would be the comittee, not the number of teams.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.