Eight-Team Playoff With No Conference Championship Game - Thoughts?

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
And the big game probably would have still been Bama versis Clemson with the same result. If I were to make a change to the system it would be the comittee, not the number of teams.
I don't think it would have been, but no one can say for sure.

I'm pro 8 team playoff, and have been since 1998 when in school I wrote a proposal for an 8 team playoff in a class.

I know I'm in the minority though.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
I don't think it would have been, but no one can say for sure.

I'm pro 8 team playoff, and have been since 1998 when in school I wrote a proposal for an 8 team playoff in a class.

I know I'm in the minority though.

I am traditional when it comes to college football(even though I am fairly young.) Not only am I against expanding playoffs, I do not like the conference realignment, the wierd uniforms, the ending of traditional games to change conferences, etc.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Agree, The issue with the BCS was that several times there wasn't much difference for 2 to 3 and 3 may have been the better team. So if you include 3 you need 4 to make an even playoff.
I'm kind of getting back to playoff vs. BCS, but to me the key all along was that #1 was represented. As long as you knew you put #1 in the game, whether they were in fact playing #2 or #3 was of little consequence because #1 is what counts right? It's about crowning a champion not a runner-up.

I think Ohio St. was the second best team in the country, and Stanford was better than Michigan St. So, two of 5-8 yes...
This is where I dislike where the playoff is headed vs. what the BCS tried to establish and the polls tries to establish. Previously it was about body of work, not perfect but the idea was that what you did the entire season counted, the regular season mattered and it didn't just matter how you performed in a couple of games but how you performed throughout.

Ohio State lost, at home, badly, to a 7-6 team. They would have been out of the BCSCG and deservedly so, because that performance mattered, and it was really bad. Stanford last year lost two games. They were out of it, and deservedly so because they lost two games. I don't see how we can say the regular season matters, if we set up a system which forgives poor performances in the regular season.

Anyway, the key distinguishing point is the most deserving team vs. the best team. Alabama might have had the best team in 2010 but where they the most deserving? No, and they didn't deserve a shot in a playoff because they lost 3 times in the regular season.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I don't like this at all. The BCS worked pretty well in my opinion, but it's not coming back. I love the conference championship games and four playoff teams is plenty. If they start messing with this now in would kind of be opening pandora's box. It would be good to rotate the selection committee members every now and then to keep it fresh.
Even though we've done well in the play-off format, I still wish we used the BSC Formula, I'd rather keep human bias out of the selection process..Not matter what format they use..As long as we win on the football field Bama will be in the NC talk at the end of the year though..

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
I'm against the playoffs expanding simply because I don't want a national champion with 2 losses. 8 teams increases the likelihood of that happening.

The college football regular season has to mean something.

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
I think Ohio St. was the second best team in the country, and Stanford was better than Michigan St. So, two of 5-8 yes...

OSU shoulda coulda woulda been one of the top two teams, but their regular season did nothing to merit consideration as such. The times when the 3 spot was passed over controversially, one could argue that that team had done something to merit inclusion. I can't see OSU or Stanford in that light last year.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
OSU shoulda coulda woulda been one of the top two teams, but their regular season did nothing to merit consideration as such. The times when the 3 spot was passed over controversially, one could argue that that team had done something to merit inclusion. I can't see OSU or Stanford in that light last year.
I'm just giving my opinion.

I think both were better than Michigan St, and before you say "but Michigan St beat tOSU", we lost to Ole Miss and I don't think anyone believes they were better....especially by year's end.

I also think both were likely better than Oklahoma. Again, just myopinion.

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
I'm just giving my opinion.

I think both were better than Michigan St, and before you say "but Michigan St beat tOSU", we lost to Ole Miss and I don't think anyone believes they were better....especially by year's end.

I also think both were likely better than Oklahoma. Again, just my opinion.

I actually agree we you, at least on this point, that if OSU or Stanford were matched up to play Oklahoma or MSU they ought very well to have been favored. But I assume you believe being better in that sense of favored isn't really the point. The team that wins should go on to the next round, right? You wouldn't say, I assume, oh well, OSU lost to Oklahoma in the playoff game, but we know OSU really is the better team, so let's just send them to the next round anyway. The regular season plays by the same "rules," just extended over a longer period.

The difference between OSU losing to MSU and us losing to Ole Miss is huge, and it has nothing to do with who is better! The difference is that Ole Miss screwed up and MSU didn't. We didn't get in over Ole Miss because we were better. We got in because they subsequently lost 3 times and twice in league play. The same is true of 2011 -- OkSt didn't get passed over because we were just better (which in any case was an untested opinion), they got passed over because they lost to a lousy team the week before championship week. MSU didn't screw up so they didn't get passed.

On a side note, my opinion is that the number of losses should be less important than the number of wins against good competition. it's not just that OSU lost to MSU as it is that OSU also beat relatively few really good teams. On the other side, not only did Ole Miss falter, but in the course of the year Alabama beat more quality opponents than Ole Miss, or actually, than anyone did.

As soon as we start letting teams into the playoffs because we just know they ought to be better/favored, we might as well stop playing the games. All of this is independent of how many teams should be in the playoffs. If you prefer 8 teams, please by all means continue that preference. But that's different than saying you want a team into the playoffs just because they are "favored". Though independent, these issues overlap because, in my opinion, it is pretty rare that there has been or will be someone in 5-8 who has ever really earned it on the field, indeed especially among those teams that people believe are "better". Favored teams tend to get the benefit of the doubt (OSU 2014?). If there is an argument to be made to admit 5-8, it might not be that a "favored" team got passed, but that an "underdog" team with a better resume got passed over for some team that was "just better".

These too are just my opinions...:wink:

Last edited:

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I think the conference championship games ARE PLAYOFF games. Except for Oklahoma all seven teams in both playoffs have been conference championship game winners.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I knew I would look forward to your take and - as always - we're in overly substantial agreement on this. In fact, it may be 100% (as I've noted numerous times, we're at 90% agreement on the whole BCS-Playoff issue).

I have three issues with this. It's not the worst possible scenario, but I'm sure you are surprised to hear I have some concerns. For the sake of anyone that doesn't know, I'd still prefer to have the BCS so it is clear where I'm coming from.

1: I do not like automatic inclusion at all. A lot of times in discussions I think people get so lost in the importance of winning a conference, or in how many conference games are played, and forget that it is all relative to the quality of the conference. Under the BCS agreement we saw some pretty suspect teams make it into the BCS bowls purely on the basis of automatic inclusion. I think that criteria poisons almost any process and actually did some harm to the BCS as well. It was hard to justify having Uconn playing in a BCS bowl game for instance. I am firmly of the belief that the most deserving teams in the regular season are the ones that should be playing for a championship, not because they happened to win a conference. Conference championships of any sort, much like playoffs put heightened importance on particular games, while I don't believe just winning certain games is really a good measure of how deserving a team is.
I cannot argue with any of this. In fact, your point about 'automatic inclusion' gets to the heart of the whole 'conference champion' problem most of us have. As we've noted too many times - not all conferences are created equal and 2011 is proof positive. NOBODY - nobody to this day outside of Stillwater, OK - even tries to argue that we didn't KNOW that LSU and Alabama were BY FAR the two best teams that year. (Even those who were arguing for the inclusion of Okie St back then stated up front that they didn't think the Cowboys were the best or second best - they always fell back on 'the most deserving' argument.

2: All along I have feared the growth of playoffs and I don't know if expansion can be kept at bay. If history has taught is anything though it's that playoffs tend to grow until they overshadow the regular season. This 8 team playoff doesn't add more games but it does seem to cast a longer shadow over the regular season. What's to say it would stop there? How long after we got the 4 team playoff, did it take for people to start talking about an expansion? Was it days or minutes?
The only thing I'd quibble with here - and it's VERY slight - is the notion that the 8-team playoff casts a shadow over the regular season. To your credit, you modified it with 'does seem' - by the same token, I have to modify my own statement with the weasel words 'it depends.' Otoh - I agree with you if we're necessarily going to have co-champions (presume a 2009 UA-UF scenario where they don't meet at all until the playoff) and REQUIRE them to meet in the FIRST ROUND then it's a bigger problem.

Also - we are in TOTAL agreement about the growth of playoffs. Even Bama basher Tim Brando has said MANY times that the problem we have is we have BY FAR the greatest regular season of ANY sport....ANY sport - but sometimes how we determine a champion becomes rather less than stellar. Of course, his insane idea is basically what we have now with the so-called Blue Ribbon Panel (so named because they drink Pabst at the dinner where they're making inane decisions like suddenly deciding Ohio State's loss to Va Tech is not so bad after all - a decision I will never be convinced was made other than because it was blue blood Ohio State).

I have two real problems with the current scenario that I'll touch on below, but we agree with the sole exception of the word noted (and I'm not being critical since even as I state this it has to be nuanced).

3: It easy for a conference like the Big 12, who has already given up their championship game, or even for the other members of the Power 5 to give up their championship games because it isn't such an integral part of their identity. It is newer for them, but for the SEC the conference championship game is a big deal. It would be a lot to sacrifice that and a part the SEC's way of doing things for the sake of a playoff. I'd argue one resolution for the whole, lose and you are out of a playoff problem to just remove that conference champion stuff altogether and then you just pick the four best teams. If a team was a clear #1 before a conference championship game, they should have a chance to stay in the top four.
Not being critical at all of your comments except I'll note that not too long such things as OU-Nebraska and even Colorado-Nebraska or Texas/ATM were integral parts of the way things operated for FAR LONGER than the SECCG has been around. My suspicion is that Atlanta and the SEC would throw a hissy fit over lost revenue. I read the other day that Kent St-Alabama game that started 2011 pumped $17 million into Tuscaloosa's economy. I cannot even imagine what the take is for the city of Atlanta for that game.

My concern if we did this sort of 'expansion of playoff' is that they'd force the two unbeaten teams from a conference (not just the SEC) to play the equivalent of an elimination game in the first round. This is not really fair if both teams look to be in the top four - plus, isn't that same game what we already have now in the SEC?

I suppose it's ironic that in the BCS era there was, generally speaking, an additional round already with the conference championship games. Now, it's almost like an eight team playoff, but I'd rather see that dialed back a bit by just taking the top 4 period (yes, the BCS computers), than moving to a scenario which hypothetically might not even have the top 5 anyway. It does feel a bit like the whole thing was setup to force some sort of an expansion though doesn't it?
FTR - my support for five years now has been the Top Four BCS OR the Plus One AFTER all the bowls were played. Amazingly enough, this would work easier if you ended the whole bowl game mess on New Year's Day (no team would have an advantage of extra rest).

What we have now to me is pretty good but there are two problems I have with it. Again - I'm NOT advocating this 8-team concept, just asking around - and the answers top to bottom are about what I figured they would be.

1) The damned committee - I mean, this is still the most ridiculous part of this whole thing. There were concerns when it was 60 SIDs voting for the poll rankings that made up the portion of the BCS. Remember the charges of bias when Pinkel (I believe it was him) ranked us over Okie St as Mizzou was leaving the conference - all the charges of political blah blah? Well, I'd say it's a whole lot easier to bribe SIXTEEN people than it is SIXTY......and you might only need to bribe 2 at most. (For anyone thinking I'm paranoid, you better look at some of the hogwash that has gone on with the bowls through the years).

2) The polls - REALLY - are absolutely meaningless top to bottom.

They literally mean NOTHING. Verne and Gary get to say they have #2 LSU squaring off against #4 Alabama, but unlike the old days where a win would guarantee at least one spot higher in such a game.........Alabama can go roll LSU but if 'the committee was impressed by (insert school here - especially one named Baylor) running up the score on Prairie View A/M, 88-6,' your win doesn't even count until MAYBE later if they suddenly decide it does.

But hey I'm enjoying reading the replies. I've had trouble replying - for some reason this site alone is locking up or sticking my computer. But I do read all responses.

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now
Personally, I'm more than satisfied knowing the 5th best team is watching with the rest of us. Would like to see the first round on the higher seeds home field. Less travel for half the teams and more of an advantage than just wearing your colors. Talk about some hostile environments.

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
Something I haven't seen discussed is the extra expense a playoff game could impart on the teams and the fans. Currently, we know where the SEC championship game will be, and as such some can plan on attending or selling tickets to their neighbors/friends etc. With the third playoff game, there's no telling where that game will be played and not necessarily an intra-conference rival to work with on logistics. So, instead of two unknown location games and the time and money they take to attend, there would be a third for every team that makes the playoffs. Maybe we're all made of money and time, but I can see this wearing down the team and the fans a good deal. You can compare this to March Madness, but there are A LOT more fans traveling for football games for each team than for the basketball teams.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Three things:

1. I've always said that I'm in favor of MORE college football...so I wouldn't automatically reject the idea.

2. If it goes to 8, go back to a BCS type arrangement.

3. It would cover the possibility of a "better" team being on the outside at #5. While the BCS worked out for us and we were never the #3 team (IIRC), I can see how a #5 team might have a decent argument. But after 8 teams, it's hard to have much sympathy for a #9 team.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
"IF" the format changes.....

All P-5's must play CCG.

Go back to the BCS formula. (Conference champs not automatic)

6 team playoff with top 2 getting 1st round bye.

8 teams? No.
This is my preferred choice. Never happen, though.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.