NFL Offensive Lineman - Article from cbssports - Chance Warmack included

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/feature/25577288/in-the-line-of-fire

Does that make it a tough transition to the NFL game?

Long: I was one of those guys (out of Oregon). I had no idea how to block somebody. I didn't know what a base block was. I'm used to sprinting to the sideline and throwing at some guy's legs and D'Anthony Thomas making a 70-yard run or (Marcus) Mariota making a big play. The first year was a rude awakening. That's a big advantage for Alabama. You are going to run an NFL offense and play next to guys who will be in the league. Not to say there aren't three top-20 picks on Oregon. It's just a transition. It's different.

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
Good post. I was just reading an SI article highlighting the fact that NFL prospects' mastery of fundamental skills are deteriorating fast yet they have less time to develop them in the NFL. The article made exception for Bama players.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I read an article where Chance Warmack spoke out against the offensive line coach of the Titans (now fired) for the past 2 seasons. Chance said that he was a Division 3 linebacker. That coach is now coaching tight ends at another Division 3 school. You wonder how some of these guys get head coaching/general manager jobs and then make so many flippant decisions. Kind of mind boggling..

Last edited:

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
I read an article where Chance Warmack spoke out against the offensive line coach of the Titans (now fired) for the past 2 seasons. Chance said that he was a Division 3 linebacker. That coach is now coaching tight ends at another Division 3 school. You wonder how some of these guys get head coaching/general manager jobs and then make so many flippant decisions. Kind of mind boggling..

No wonder Tennessee has been terrible lately. That scenario is mind-boggling. That guy must've read a lot of books on blocking, LOL.

There's an addage that goes, "Those who can't do, teach." I would say, however, that those who couldn't don't teach well. It's hard to imagine Chance and co. deriving an ounce of beneficial instruction from this clown.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Does that make it [the spread offense] a tough transition to the NFL game?

Long: I was one of those guys (out of Oregon). I had no idea how to block somebody. I didn't know what a base block was. I'm used to sprinting to the sideline and throwing at some guy's legs and D'Anthony Thomas making a 70-yard run or (Marcus) Mariota making a big play. The first year was a rude awakening. That's a big advantage for Alabama. You are going to run an NFL offense and play next to guys who will be in the league. Not to say there aren't three top-20 picks on Oregon. It's just a transition. It's different.

Massie: (In college at Ole Miss) I just knew I had the guy in front of me. That's it.

Long: You can't hold it against these guys because coaches install these offenses and this is what they're running. At the end of the day, it's tough to get ready for the NFL because there's a certain way to do things.
Well that should be on the next recruiting poster.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere

This makes me even more upset with the Titans. I wondered what happened to Warmack and now it all makes sense. The old regime up here should be ashamed of themselves for doing this to these guys.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I believe that there are many good coaches who are coaching positions other than that which they played. That part of Warmack's criticism is pure bunk. But where he points out that his coach was unwilling to listen to his players when they had ideas - that is enough to fire him. That is why his players did not respect him.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I believe that there are many good coaches who are coaching positions other than that which they played. That part of Warmack's criticism is pure bunk. But where he points out that his coach was unwilling to listen to his players when they had ideas - that is enough to fire him. That is why his players did not respect him.
I know what you mean and I know this happens quite a bit but you would think the nfl would have some good o-line coaches who actually played o line in the pros. Experience helps explain what is going on during a game. They don't have to all pro guys coaching.

Last edited:

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
This makes me even more upset with the Titans. I wondered what happened to Warmack and now it all makes sense. The old regime up here should be ashamed of themselves for doing this to these guys.
Agreed. I wanna support the Titans and attend home games but with the recent years performance and debacles it's difficult. I'm, once again, taking a "wait and see" approach.

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now
At every level, it's always coaching. Hard to imagine a lousy position coach or coordinator sticking around without a lousy head hombre enabling. NFL product is getting hard to watch.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I know what you mean and I know Thais happens quite a bit but you would think the nfl would have some good o-line coaches who actually played o line in the pros. Experience helps explain what is going on during a game. They don't have to all pro guys coaching.
I don't think it's a big deal to have a coach who didn't play the game. I think it's a problem to have a person coaching a position group he's never coached before. By all accounts the coach in question was previously a linebackers coach and nothing else. I think the bigger problem was his lack of coaching background relative to the position group he was coaching not what level of football he played..

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I don't think it's a big deal to have a coach who didn't play the game. I think it's a problem to have a person coaching a position group he's never coached before. By all accounts the coach in question was previously a linebackers coach and nothing else. I think the bigger problem was his lack of coaching background relative to the position group he was coaching not what level of football he played..
I agree, maybe if he would have started coaching the o-line at a lower level and worked his way up, he would have very good at his job.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
I agree to a point - we don't have to look much further than our own staff. Kirby was a DB, but coached DBs then ILBs. Pruitt also has done different position groups and done well. I do think it's very hard to take a guy who played and was always a defensive coach, and swap them to OL. I also think there are groups that have enough similarities that it's not that different. That said, OL is it's own beast entirely and taking someone without a long track record of coaching it, even if they played something else, and making them a pro coach seems ridiculous. Someone who played or knows the TE and RB groups could probably make a that transition easier than a guy who'd always been on the other side of the ball.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
You guys should Google Bob Bostad. This was not his first job as an o-line coach, and he has had some pretty good success coachingthis position in the past.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
You guys should Google Bob Bostad. This was not his first job as an o-line coach, and he has had some pretty good success coachingthis position in the past.
Yeah, I'm not sure who Chance is referencing. From his Titans bio page:

Bob Bostad Coaching Ledger:
2014-15: Offensive Line, Tennessee Titans
2012-13:
Offensive Line, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
2008-11:
Run Game Coordinator/Offensive Line, Wisconsin
2006-07:
Run Game Coordinator/Tight Ends Coach, Wisconsin
1999-2005:
Offensive Line, New Mexico
1998:
Co-Offensive Coordinator/Offensive Line, San Jose State
1997:
Offensive Line, San Jose State
1995-96:
Offensive Line, California State University Northridge
1992-94:
Graduate Assistant/Offensive Line, University of Minnesota
1990-91:
Offensive Line, University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point
I don't even see a defensive position on there.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
He was only the Titans onlineoline coach starting last year, he could mean someone else.
Bostad played linebacker at Wisconsin-Stevens Point from 1986 to 1989. Warmack was clearly talking about Bostad - and he clearly had no idea what he was talking about. Again, the criticism about Bostad not accepting ideas or suggestions from his players may be legit, but it looks like Warmack was just looking for a scape goat for him not having the 5th year of his contract picked up.

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now
Bostad played linebacker at Wisconsin-Stevens Point from 1986 to 1989. Warmack was clearly talking about Bostad - and he clearly had no idea what he was talking about. Again, the criticism about Bostad not accepting ideas or suggestions from his players may be legit, but it looks like Warmack was just looking for a scape goat for him not having the 5th year of his contract picked up.

Well, if criticism of not accepting ideas or suggestions from the players may be correct, then why not leave it at that? If you are not having meaningful communications with the players and you lose their respect, how are you able to teach effectively?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Well, if criticism of not accepting ideas or suggestions from the players may be correct, then why not leave it at that? If you are not having meaningful communications with the players and you lose their respect, how are you able to teach effectively?
Like I said, this is a deal breaker for me. I would dismiss someone in a leadership position who was unwilling to listen. But that doesn't let Warmack off the hook for attacks that were unfounded.

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now
Like I said, this is a deal breaker for me. I would dismiss someone in a leadership position who was unwilling to listen. But that doesn't let Warmack off the hook for attacks that were unfounded.

Still not sure what broken deals you're worried about, unless you're president of the Warmack fan club? For a bunch of players, who sounded like they were just sitting around, chewing the fat, you seem to be looking for a whole lot of motive?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.