Cruel cop viciously attacks two eagles trying to get food for their young

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Actually, I thought about the same thing, but seriously. Other than cuteness, what makes the baby kangaroo any more deserving than the eagles, or the eaglets they were probably trying to feed?

In the wild, nature is often a zero sum game...as in, "You live, and I and my babies starve. Or we eat and you die."

I didn't view the officer's injecting himself into the natural process as heroic, but rather meddling in things that were none of his business.

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
Actually, I thought about the same thing, but seriously. Other than cuteness, what makes the baby kangaroo any more deserving than the eagles, or the eaglets they were probably trying to feed?

In the wild, nature is often a zero sum game...as in, "You live, and I and my babies starve. Or we eat and you die."

I didn't view the officer's injecting himself into the natural process as heroic, but rather meddling in things that were none of his business.
Buzzard's gotta eat, same as worms...

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009

He was just participating in the natural process.

If you want my true thoughts on what you said, that statement probably should be light blue. :) Yes our species commonly interrupt what would normally happen, other species work together to protect each other from predators too. In the end we are just as much a part of the natural process as any other species. How we participate given our intelligence and belief system is always going to be debatable. You want to feed your pets to an eagle go right ahead.

Full disclosure, I have shot a coyote to save a family pet. Probably one of the few times I have been roundly cheered by my entire little family. The buzzards were pretty happy too. :)

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

He was just participating in the natural process.

If you want my true thoughts on what you said, that statement probably should be light blue. :) Yes our species commonly interrupt what would normally happen, other species work together to protect each other from predators too. In the end we are just as much a part of the natural process as any other species. How we participate given our intelligence and belief system is always going to be debatable. You want to feed your pets to an eagle go right ahead.

Full disclosure, I have shot a coyote to save a family pet. Probably one of the few times I have been roundly cheered by my entire little family. The buzzards were pretty happy too. :)
I thought somebody might bring up that concept. Especially since I'm 180 degrees from vegetarian, what gives me precedence over the cow that provided my steak?

My answer is that humans have evolved into the top predator. I make no apologies for that, but rather give thanks. We're at the top not because of the weapons we're born with -- far from it -- relative to a lot of animals, we're pretty slow, and have no fangs, claws or venom. We're at the top because of the weapons and strategies we've invented.

You were protecting your family (yes, pets are family) from a lesser predator. No inconsistency there.

BTW -- excellent aim under pressure. THAT is true gun control. Well done. What was the weapon -- handgun or rifle?

Last edited:

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL

It's nature's food chain, and like it or not, we're all part of it.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
I thought somebody might bring up that concept. Especially since I'm 180 degrees from vegetarian, what gives me precedence over the cow that provided my steak?

My answer is that humans have evolved into the top predator. I make no apologies for that, but rather give thanks. We're at the top not because of the weapons we're born with -- far from it -- relative to a lot of animals, we're pretty slow, and have no fangs, claws or venom. We're at the top because of the weapons and strategies we've invented.

You were protecting your family (yes, pets are family) from a lesser predator. No inconsistency there.

BTW -- excellent aim under pressure. THAT is true gun control. Well done. What was the weapon -- handgun or rifle?
Rock, spear, blowgun, etc., it doesn't matter. Hitting your target is the only thing that really matters.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
---snip---You were protecting your family (yes, pets are family) from a lesser predator. No inconsistency there.---snip---
FYI: in this case....the police officer was also protecting his family....his adopted Joey....

(from the article):

Mason has been the little roo’s guardian since March
Rescuers found Cuejoe in his mother’s pouch, after a car fatally struck the adult kangaroo. Mason, who helped nurse Cuejoe back to health, has regularly appeared with the kangaroo in the Australian police social-media feeds.

So it was something akin to a fatherly instinct that kicked in as Mason watched a large bird descend upon Cuejoe.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham

Different outlooks on the same event. Reminds me of this old joke:

Two boys are playing football in Big Springs Park when one is
attacked by a rabid Rottweiler. Thinking quickly, the other boy rips
off a board of he nearby fence, wedges it down the dog's collar and
twists, breaking the dog's neck.

A reporter from the Huntsville Times, who was strolling by sees the
incident, and rushes over to interview the boy.

"Young Bama Fan Saves Friend From Vicious Animal," he
starts writing in his notebook.

"But I'm not a Bama fan," the little hero replied.

"Sorry, since we are in North Alabama I just assumed you were." said
the reporter and starts again.

"Little Auburn Fan Rescues Friend From Horrific Attack" he continued
writing in his notebook.

"I'm not a Auburn fan either," the boy said.

"I assumed everyone in the Area was either for Bama or Auburn. What
team do you root for?" the reporter asked.

"I'm a Tennessee fan." the child said.

The reporter starts a new sheet in his notebook and writes, "Little
Hillbilly Bastard Kills Beloved Family Pet."

:biggrin2:

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009

My "critter" .243 rifle. Couldn't do it now where I live, but then I had plenty of area and no neighbors near enough to worry about. Actually did fire once to try to scare them away, but it didn't work. Taking the closest one to the overmatched cocker spaniel (who had a bit of a Napoleon complex) did the job.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.