CFP Championship Game Video: Reuben Gets Called for DPI While WR Runs Illegal Pick

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Watch Renfroe (the walk-on Herbie and Fowler just loved) in the slot to the right of the formation run a crossing pattern and go out of his way to hit Reuben.

Last edited:

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Renfroe put himself directly in Foster's path, then turned and hip-checked him at the last second, which is why the officials didn't see anything. Kind of a clever move, actually.

I got the distinct impression that these officials just didn't understand the rules for PI. Clemson got away with blatant PI in the endzone during the 3rd quarter.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
This is well spotted. There were a few egregious calls that evening - but then this happened and every bad feeling I'd ever felt was suddenly lifted off me.

From the start of the kick look at the effort of number 16 on that run back. His one little bump block made all the difference in the world, and he didn't stop trying.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Dang..That was awesome & Drake can fly..I have a feeling we're going to miss that change of pace Drake's pure speed brought to our offense when he would rotate in for Henry..I also have a feeling Drake will have a great NFL career if the injury bug stays away..

This is well spotted. There were a few egregious calls that evening - but then this happened and every bad feeling I'd ever felt was suddenly lifted off me.

TiderMan

All-SEC
Feb 5, 2005
Moody, AL.
Watch Renfroe (the walk-on Herbie and Fowler just loved) in the slot to the right of the formation run a crossing pattern and go out of his way to hit Reuben.

It is called a football play. All teams run plays like that. Nothing noteworthy to see here.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Yes, every team runs "rub" routes. It's the hit he put on Reuben that's illegal. Remember the ND-FSU game last year?
Yes, they ran a rub route. Foster stepped forward to avoid the rub just as the receiver stepped toward him to force the rub. I saw that as a good play by both, and not illegal. Foster definitely grabbed the receiver as he attempted to catch the ball, so the DPI was legit.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Yes, every team runs "rub" routes. It's the hit he put on Reuben that's illegal. Remember the ND-FSU game last year?
I think that play in the ND-FSU game is the text book example when people think of the rub-route. Was pulling for ND in that one so it was very disappointing but the call was a good one. I guess they could have called the penalty on Renfrow since he made contact before the PI from Reuben.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Yes, they ran a rub route. Foster stepped forward to avoid the rub just as the receiver stepped toward him to force the rub. I saw that as a good play by both, and not illegal. Foster definitely grabbed the receiver as he attempted to catch the ball, so the DPI was legit.
Oh, I agree the DPI was the correct call.

I think that play in the ND-FSU game is the text book example when people think of the rub-route. Was pulling for ND in that one so it was very disappointing but the call was a good one. I guess they could have called the penalty on Renfrow since he made contact before the PI from Reuben.
Renfroe threw his hip at Foster and clearly diverted his route, which should warrant the OPI. Obviously, we benefit from having the replay. The officials might not have been able to see the hit since it was congested in the middle.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Renfroe threw his hip at Foster and clearly diverted his route, which should warrant the OPI. Obviously, we benefit from having the replay. The officials might not have been able to see the hit since it was congested in the middle.
Definitely. Unmolested he has a much better chance of defending that pass cleanly.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.