CFP Championship Game Video: Reuben Gets Called for DPI While WR Runs Illegal Pick

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
I think that play in the ND-FSU game is the text book example when people think of the rub-route. Was pulling for ND in that one so it was very disappointing but the call was a good one. I guess they could have called the penalty on Renfrow since he made contact before the PI from Reuben.
The ND-FSU game is the textbook example of offensive pass interference. The receiver didn't even try to run a route, but just ran up and put both hands into the defender's chest.

A textbook example of a rub route is what we ran to score the winning TD against LSU two years ago [sorry, no video]. two shallow crossing routes close enough that one WR forced the DB covering another to separate from coverage, but without any contact. Danielson even called attention to it in his replay analysis.

The Clemson example is more of a grey area. Renfrow clearly initiated contact and could have been called, but since it was more of a hip check, the officials couldn't really see it.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
A textbook example of a rub route is what we ran to score the winning TD against LSU two years ago [sorry, no video]. two shallow crossing routes close enough that one WR forced the DB covering another to separate from coverage, but without any contact. Danielson even called attention to it in his replay analysis.
Starts at 10:36:

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
I guess I see it differently. Running routes to create traffic and force defenders to adjust around is fine and legal, but even ole ball coach spurrier says the rub player has to run to a spot and can't initiate contact. The clemson WR in this play clearly changes direction with the intent to block, and honestly should have been flagged. Foster did get there early also so the end result likely should have been offsetting and replay the down.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I guess I see it differently. Running routes to create traffic and force defenders to adjust around is fine and legal, but even ole ball coach spurrier says the rub player has to run to a spot and can't initiate contact. The clemson WR in this play clearly changes direction with the intent to block, and honestly should have been flagged. Foster did get there early also so the end result likely should have been offsetting and replay the down.
Exactly my thoughts.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Clear as day and by design to put a pick on a db. If you ain't trying to gain an advantage, your not trying to win. The "pick" caused the db to lose a step.......Touchdown Alabama. You have to mask it so it looks like receiver 1 gets bogged down......but he is creating space for receiver 2.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I wish Reuben would have lit that little guy up instead of letting him hip check him. That would have made him think twice about doing that a second time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.