Happy that Coker is with former bama OC Bruce Arians. Signed contact

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Arizona passed on quarterbacks the entire draft, so maybe Coach Arians watched Coker develop like we did and went that way by design.
“He won the games throwing the football in critical downs, and watching him grow — really can’t wait to get our hands on him this weekend and watch him grow with us,” Arians added. “He’s got the size, he’s got the skill; he’s got a lot of moxie about him.
“So yeah, I’m very anxious to get him here.”
He has to beat Barkley, and if his upside looks promising, that could easily happen. Bruce seems to think so.
http://arizonasports.com/story/648013/cardinals-coach-arians-jake-coker-has-size-skill-and-moxie/

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Isn't Freddie Kitchens the QB coach for the Cardinals? I think Coker has a chance to be the 2nd or 3rd QB. He can do well for himself financially even if he's a career backup. The Eagles just gave Chase Daniel, who has been a career backup, a 3 year $21 million dollar contract. Pretty good work if you can get it..

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I honestly don't think Coker can be ruled out as a future starter. That might sound kind of exceptional, but at one point scouts were raving about him and he was one of the top ranked QBs in his class by some evaluators by the time he transferred. Now, we know some of that was over-hype, but truth is he only ended up with one year under his belt as a starter and he switched schools which is probably a bit harmful to development (since he had to spend a lot of time learning a new offense that might have been dedicated to improving mechanics and what not).

I wonder what he can do with a few years of NFL coaching under his belt.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I honestly don't think Coker can be ruled out as a future starter. That might sound kind of exceptional, but at one point scouts were raving about him and he was one of the top ranked QBs in his class by some evaluators by the time he transferred. Now, we know some of that was over-hype, but truth is he only ended up with one year under his belt as a starter and he switched schools which is probably a bit harmful to development (since he had to spend a lot of time learning a new offense that might have been dedicated to improving mechanics and what not).

I wonder what he can do with a few years of NFL coaching under his belt.
It doesn't sound too exceptional when you factor in Coker's physical traits and abilities. Huge guy, strong arm and plenty of mobility. People get hung up on the release but having the ability to soak in a NFL system could do wonders. He seemed pretty rugged as well and the ability to stay healthy and on the field can't be undervalued.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Coker has shown the ability to adapt & thrive in new offenses..That will bold well for him in the NFL..Arians is the perfect offensive mined coach that can work on improving Coker's weaknesses..I think he landed in a great situation or better than most NFL rookies..

im4uainva

All-SEC
Jul 3, 2011
Charlottesville, Va
This I know...all Jake did was lead Bama to another NC. And in the games that counted, he looked pretty good doing it. Did he have a bad game last year? Especially in the last half of the season? Yes, he was surrounded with some very good talent, but he was still the leader, and he produced. I hope he has what can be considered a very successful career in the NFL. He may never win a WC, but I'm hoping that he can have his team contending each and every year he plays (once he gets the opportunity).

Roll, National Champions, ROLL!

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
The thing that I think held Coker back was fear of failure. I think he competed well at Florida State ultimately losing to a rare talent in Winston. After that I think he tried but somehow it was like he was always running in quick sand. That continued on into this season but something changed when he came into the Ole Miss game. He played like a winner in that game even though we lost. From there he got better every single week. I assume Barkley is expecting to beat him out for the spot but if Coker plays with reckless abandon like he played down the stretch at Bama I think he's gonig to take that spot.

Then there is the question. Of all the young quarterbacks entering the league this year which one has the most room to grow. Being a great pro isn't just about how good you are when you start, it's how good can you be. It's the ubside question that they are always looking at.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
I think the Cards got a bargain. After watching Barkley in Philly the last two years, I don't see beating him out for a slot as being difficult for Coker.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
He can make it without question if he learns to read his check downs just "this much" quicker. Arians was a QB coach and should be able to help him. Jake definitely has the physical tools and he proved to be a very good leader. I wish him the very best. I think he was fortunate to sign with the Cardinals.
sip

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Coker looks the part and in big moments he played the part...he's just got a lot of work ahead of him to make up for only starting one season in college.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
He needs consistent accuracy and a smidge quicker release, either from a mechanical tweak or increased film room study. For all his toughness and leadership and physical gifts, our receivers bailed him out on many occasions last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
He needs consistent accuracy and a smidge quicker release, either from a mechanical tweak or increased film room study. For all his toughness and leadership and physical gifts, our receivers bailed him out on many occasions last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree to a point, but he also bailed our offensive line on occasion as well by scrambling and making an incredible play.
His touchdown pass to Adarius Stewart in the Auburn game was one of the best plays I've ever seen a Bama Quarterback make.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuOh9YnefSw

Last edited:

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I agree to a point, but he also bailed our offensive line on occasion as well my scrambling and making an incredible play.
His touchdown pass to Adarius Stewart in the Auburn game was one of the best plays I've ever seen a Bama Quarterback make.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuOh9YnefSw
.I agree, that play by Jake cannot be beat by any quarterback under Saban. I do not now what his limits are, and that is a positive, I don't believe the scouts do either. I feel better about his chances than I did with, GMAC, Wilson, Sims, and even Brodie (due to injury prone). At worst he will be in the pro's 3 or 4 years. Being picked up by a smart mind in Arians is telling.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.