Link: Derrick Henry Makes 'Big' First Impression on Teammates

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Some comments from new Titans teammates after seeing this unique sized RB. Very positive. 2nd round RB's are supposed to contribute like 1st RB's 10 years ago. I expect Henry to be the same man in the NFL as at Bama. Every 3rd carry 7+, the ability to out run db's in the clear, and most tackling low because it's about impossible to tackle high once he has a load of steam. His forward running style will make up for his long legs and size. He will be an every down back this year. Has anyone ever seen Derrick caught from behind after a load of steam? I can remember.

http://www.titansonline.com/news/ar...eammates/9b3b5b48-4bb6-4b23-af8b-0ecf10c054b8

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
If Delanie Walker is getting to be his bud, then he definitely believes in Derrick. That guy is a stud tight end.
I love the references "Monster for us". Derrick has earned that status

dadleyblane5

All-SEC
Apr 19, 2011
DeFuniak Springs Fl.
Yeah, my wife is ticked off that Dallas didn't get him. I mean you pick a running back in the first round (Zeke) and you don't get the guy who won the Heisman trophy and broke Herschel Walker's record?.....C'mon man..(Jerry Jones)...:mad:

Last edited:

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
Yeah, my wife is ticked off that Dallas didn't get him. I mean you pick a running back in the first round (Zeke) and you don't get the guy who won the Heisman trophy and broke Herschel Walker's record?.....C'mon man..(Jerry Jones)...:mad:
Terrible draft for the Cowboys. They could have picked Jalen Ramsey there in the 4th spot and shored up their secondary. They'd still have been in position to pick Henry in the 2nd and be in a much better position than they're in now.

TiderMan

All-SEC
Feb 5, 2005
Moody, AL.
Some comments from new Titans teammates after seeing this unique sized RB. Very positive. 2nd round RB's are supposed to contribute like 1st RB's 10 years ago. I expect Henry to be the same man in the NFL as at Bama. Every 3rd carry 7+, the ability to out run db's in the clear, and most tackling low because it's about impossible to tackle high once he has a load of steam. His forward running style will make up for his long legs and size. He will be an every down back this year. Has anyone ever seen Derrick caught from behind after a load of steam? I can remember.

http://www.titansonline.com/news/ar...eammates/9b3b5b48-4bb6-4b23-af8b-0ecf10c054b8
It is going to be tough for Henry to be the every down back for Tennessee since they also have DeMarco Murray on the roster. Murray didn't do much with Philly last season but with the Titans, Murray is bound to get more touches this year. The Titans seem to be more committed to the run, which also bodes well for Henry. They also have Dexter McCluster on the team. I am not sure any of their RB's will be the every down guy. It may be more running back by committee.

im4uainva

All-SEC
Jul 3, 2011
Charlottesville, Va
I hope Derrick makes every team out there regret that they didn't scoop him up immediately.
I'm also hoping that Bo and Damien will be up to the task, of at least coming close, to what Derrick thrilled us with, every time he broke through the line and left the defense grasping at air.

Roll, National Champions, ROLL!

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
As a Titans fan, I am thrilled with this pick. The Titans have had zero run game since Chris Johnson ran for just over 2k yards a few years ago. Now the offense has some potential. Also they are getting more and more Bama players. Rashad Johnson signed as a FA in the offseason. That will be big help in a terrible secondary.

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
It's very unfortunate that Henry is on the same roster with Demarco Murray. He'll likely be the de facto number two unless he has a monster summer. Hoping he somehow finds his way to another roster...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
It's very unfortunate that Henry is on the same roster with Demarco Murray. He'll likely be the de facto number two unless he has a monster summer. Hoping he somehow finds his way to another roster...
Murray is good, but he is going into his 6th season and that is about the time that production usually starts to fall off for RBs. That is probably why they went after Henry.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Actually, it's a great situation for Henry. Henry can't carry the ball 25-30 times per game like he did in college. His body won't hold up. With the Titans looking to play more of a smashmouth offense their should be plenty of touches for Murray and Henry. I envision it something like 20 carries for Murray and 14 or so for Henry at the beginning of the season. Could be this year but at least in the next couple of years Henry will take over as the franchise running back and a centerpiece of the offense. Also, the Titans have 3 first round picks on their offensive line so they should be able to create some good running room for the backs this year.

Also, Murray has already stated that he plans to help Henry and try to teach him all the things he needs to do to be successful. That type of veteran tutelage can't be understated. It would be terrible if Henry went somewhere with no veteran running back to show him the ropes and if Henry had to immediately be the lead running back. That's a recipe for becoming a bust..

Last edited:

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Actually, it's a great situation for Henry. Henry can't carry the ball 25-30 times per game like he did in college. His body won't hold up. With the Titans looking to play more of a smashmouth offense their should be plenty of touches for Murray and Henry. I envision it something like 20 carries for Murray and 14 or so for Henry at the beginning of the season. Could be this year but at least in the next couple of years Henry will take over as the franchise running back and a centerpiece of the offense. Also, the Titans have 3 first round picks on their offensive line so they should be able to create some good running room for the backs this year.

Also, Murray has already stated that he plans to help Henry and try to teach him all the things he needs to do to be successful. That type of veteran tutelage can't be understated. It would be terrible if Henry went somewhere with no veteran running back to show him the ropes and if Henry had to immediately be the lead running back. That's a recipe for becoming a bust..
Agreed. Almost every NFL team has a 2 RB rotation splitting carries closely. I think your #'s are about right and if one gets hot he may get a little more. Perfect situation for Derrick to be in IMO.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
But according to most "experts", Bama players become busts when they get to the NFL. He is just wasting his time in Nashville. **Blue Font**

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Murray is good, but he is going into his 6th season and that is about the time that production usually starts to fall off for RBs. That is probably why they went after Henry.
I think they'll both get about 20 carries a game. It's actually a good situation for the team and both players.
Demarco Murray isn't going to have a problem with his career being extended for a few years. He'll make a ton of money because of Derrick.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
It's a shame that I might have to cheer for something from Tennessee. But, I'm really hoping that Derrick can make the critics eat crow!

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
It's a shame that I might have to cheer for something from Tennessee. But, I'm really hoping that Derrick can make the critics eat crow!
It will be nice to see Nudie at FB and Chance at OG blocking for Derrick. Never been a Titans fans but with this much Crimson I may have to start pulling for them.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
I think they'll both get about 20 carries a game. It's actually a good situation for the team and both players.
Demarco Murray isn't going to have a problem with his career being extended for a few years. He'll make a ton of money because of Derrick.
What?

Only 2 running backs in the NFL averaged more than 16.5 carries per game. Adrian Peterson (20 cpg) and Doug Martin (18 cpg).

The Carolina Panthers averaged the most running plays per game in the NFL last year with 32, take out Cam and their 2nd RB only averaged 3.8 carries per game. And that was from the best rushing team in the NFL.

The Arizona Cardinals were the best team at splitting carries between RB's last year. They're top RB, Chris Johnson, averaged 12 cpg. Their 2nd RB, David Johnson, only averaged 7.8 cpg.

There's absolutely no way the Titans will have 2 running backs on the same roster who approach 20 carries per game.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
What?

Only 2 running backs in the NFL averaged more than 16.5 carries per game. Adrian Peterson (20 cpg) and Doug Martin (18 cpg).

The Carolina Panthers averaged the most running plays per game in the NFL last year with 32, take out Cam and their 2nd RB only averaged 3.8 carries per game. And that was from the best rushing team in the NFL.

The Arizona Cardinals were the best team at splitting carries between RB's last year. They're top RB, Chris Johnson, averaged 12 cpg. Their 2nd RB, David Johnson, only averaged 7.8 cpg.

There's absolutely no way the Titans will have 2 running backs on the same roster who approach 20 carries per game.
Their new coach has stated that they will be a physical, run first type of football team. Whether it's 20 carries or 16 carries, it's not a point of argument. They'll both probably get equal carries was my point. I didn't google the average number of carries a two back system generates, or research statistics from last year. I could care less and have more important things to do. I just think it was a good move for the Titans, Murray, and Derrick.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Their new coach has stated that they will be a physical, run first type of football team. Whether it's 20 carries or 16 carries, it's not a point of argument. They'll both probably get equal carries was my point. I didn't google the average number of carries a two back system generates, or research statistics from last year. I could care less and have more important things to do. I just think it was a good move for the Titans, Murray, and Derrick.
So you just threw a number out without any context or knowledge of what's normal and then want to act like numbers don't matter when someone provides the context?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.