Charles Baldwin Dismissed for Violation of Team Rules

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Wasn't he the #1 JUCO prospect? Hope Jonah Williams is ready because this means Jonah will most likely be starting at right tackle..

To answer my own question:

Baldwin came to Alabama this spring as a five-star prospect. Rivals.com ranked him the No. 2 junior college transfer in the nation. Arriving from ASA College, the same place that produced former Alabama lineman Leon Brown, Baldwin was considered a prime candidate for the right tackle job.

Last edited:

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
So can he transfer to another division 1 school or what are his options? Just curious. I don't remember a JUCO player being dismissed so soon after joining a program..

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
So can he transfer to another division 1 school or what are his options? Just curious. I don't remember a JUCO player being dismissed so soon after joining a program..
Travell Dixon had to sit out a year after transferring from Alabama months after enrolling from JUCO.

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
you can bet it's the right decision by Coach Saban, he doesn't make rash decisions, he'll go the extra mile to help a young man, both on and off the field. However he's not about to let one rotten apple spoil the barrel.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
This Saban quote about Baldwin during Spring camp might give a little explanation.

You know after this last season I think it was realized just how far team chemistry can take these teams. Obviously coach has always known that, but the way that he openly admired that group of young men last year and how their relationships to one another were the fuel that helped keep the fire burning may have really inspired him. The council also voting for Tony Brown to leave in the post-season is another indicator.

Perhaps he's not as lenient on his "buying-in" policy as he once was. I've heard him remark something to the effect of (and I'm paraphrasing) "You don't come out here and do the right things just for you, aight? If you were just letting yourself down, that's your decision to make. But, if you come out here and you haven't bought in, and haven't put in the work and aren't willing to do the right things you aren't just letting yourself down but your hurting your teammates and all the guys who have come out here and have worked hard and put the team before themselves - and there's no place for that here at Alabama - because those guys deserve better." (end paraphrase)

So all that to say that maybe Baldwin's unwillingness to buy in and creating a toxic team chemistry could have caused Saban to say "No way, I'm not gonna let one bad apple spoil the bunch." Maybe he's placing even more emphasis than he usually does (because I'm sure it's always been a focus) on togetherness and facilitating the building of relationships between teammates.

EDIT: I'm sure it wasn't just a bad attitude that got Baldwin booted, it would probably need to be something more concrete than a bad attitude, but this idea may have played a role in it - the goal being to achieve a unique chemistry like last year's team had.

Last edited:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Good riddance. If he has been such a problem he gets kicked off after just one semester, we are better off without him. I hate it for whoever didn't get a scholarship here since we wasted one on this guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I don't know what happened, but whatever it was, was bad.

There were no niceties, no thanks for time, contributions, etc. and no wiggle room for a possible return.

As with the previous poster, I hurt most for the guy who didn't get a scholarship because we gave one to Baldwin. Maybe a deserving walk-on can get one.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.