Ring avulsion reminder...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
A little timely reminder, now that outdoor work season has arrived - it's best to doff your wedding band and other rings when digging, etc. Today, I was starting my log splitter when it semi-backfired and yanked back, digging a furrow between my left ring and middle fingers. It didn't do a full Jimmy Fallon on me, but it got my attention...

IMG_3030.jpg

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
A little timely reminder, now that outdoor work season has arrived - it's best to doff your wedding band and other rings when digging, etc. Today, I was starting my log splitter when it semi-backfired and yanked back, digging a furrow between my left ring and middle fingers. It didn't do a full Jimmy Fallon on me, but it got my attention...

View attachment 2269
Yikes! Glad it wasn't worse. I am not a jewelry person. Not even a wedding band. Mrs VJ understands. This kind of stuff happened to me plenty when I wore my wedding ring.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
Ouch! I never wear mine when working, either in the house or outdoors. Had a bracelet catch in a piece of furniture I was unloading several years ago. It fell to the ground taking my hand under it, crushed the end of my finger. I went inside, wrapped it and finished bringing the buffet inside before I went to the doctor. That was a lesson I never forgot. I hope yours heals fast.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
I don't wear any jewelry at all, which is a habit I started years ago during my career in electronic service. I might wear my wedding band and Bama watch when we go out to public events, for dinner, etc.. Before I ever do any shop or yard work, they always come off.
I don't think any of us ever plan to get injured. Neither did Earle in the case above. As a PSA, the only thing I can add is when we're in too big a rush to take simple precautions, just ask yourself "What's the worst that can happen?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Distraction and haste. I'm six months behind on chores, including wood-splitting. Like most married guys, I sense that my mate likes my wearing my band. Today, I was on a roll, getting engines started I expected more trouble with, and, like Bama Reb says, I didn't plan on getting injured, never even thought about my band...

KentuckianaBFan

All-SEC
Jan 26, 2011
Lakeland, FL, 2018
echoaffiliate.com
I don't wear any jewelry at all, which is a habit I started years ago during my career in electronic service. I might wear my wedding band and Bama watch when we go out to public events, for dinner, etc.. Before I ever do any shop or yard work, they always come off.
I don't think any of us ever plan to get injured. Neither did Earle in the case above. As a PSA, the only thing I can add is when we're in too big a rush to take simple precautions, just ask yourself "What's the worst that can happen?
Remember those grisly films in high school on driving while drinking? As avionic techs in the **, we weren't allowed to wear jewelry while working on aircraft or in the shop...safety briefings include pics of fingers with rings...without hands attached...and the occasional wrist with a melted watchband...

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
Remember those grisly films in high school on driving while drinking? As avionic techs in the **, we weren't allowed to wear jewelry while working on aircraft or in the shop...safety briefings include pics of fingers with rings...without hands attached...and the occasional wrist with a melted watchband...
I had a friend with a scar around his wrist from an electrical incident with a metal watchband. I haven't been able to wear one since.

G-VilleTider

Suspended
Aug 17, 2006
Glad you were "lucky" and didn't get seriously injured.

I am pleasantly surprised to hear that I am not the only one who never wears a ring or any other jewelry.

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
Like most old-school aviation guys, I don't do jewelry. Ring avulsion is one of several reasons why. Thanks for the public service announcement.
For years and years, the Air Force would (and may still) permanently display big posters in shops with giant blown up images of finger deglovings caused by rings. Doesn't take too many years of staring at those images for the message to sink in.

crimson fan man

Hall of Fame
Aug 12, 2002
Athens Al
Was at work last year and my foot encountered some oil and down I went so fast couldn't control my fall. I broke my ring finger and the way it was bent it was just luck that I was able to pull it off before it swell up to much to be able to remove it. My wife does want me to wear it but my finger hasn't went back to form. These people that are getting titanium or tungsten carbide rings just remember if you injure your finger that you can't cut these off as easy as you can a gold rings without doing damage.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
I'm always scared to death that I'll get a ring stuck on my finger. I ordered my class ring in HS so big that I could shake it off. My wedding band was done the same way but it didn't have the weight so that it would shake off. I remember setting a table down against a wall as I was reaching across the top to carry it. The table pinched my hand between it and the wall, smashing my wedding band on my finger. I haven't worn my wedding band since. My wife has complained some but I just can't do it. My dad has never worn one that I know of. Saw a guy get his hung on a hook that was being pulled back up a piece of conduit by a winch. The man almost lost an appendage.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Caught mine trailing my hand on a stair railing the other day. No harm done, but definitely need to be more careful about things like that.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Many decades ago, when I had a real job.....................

Worked with a guy who re-married, later in life. He was not used to wearing a ring (several decades, my guess) and one day..............

It landed across a bus bar, attached to a 400 A battery charger.

They saved his ring finger. Which is more than I can say for the ring.

The first thing I told Mrs. Cuda, when she told me that we were getting married............

She didn't have a problem with it. Well, that excuse didn't work...............

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
I had an incident occur with my first wedding band...

My wife and I were building a house. Well, really it was me, my dad, my uncle, and a couple family friends building the house with a few subcontractors doing the few things we either couldn't or didn't want to do. Anyway, the key part of this story is that I wired the house.

Side note... I basically don't feel a 120v current. I feel it but it doesn't hurt; it's a bit of a tingle, like when your arm or leg starts to fall asleep. (I've never tested higher voltage and try not to retest 120v if I can help it.)

So, anyway, I was wiring in the fixtures in the master bath - with the breaker off, of course. Meanwhile, my mom was helping out by cleaning up, sweeping the kitchen floor. Since the walls weren't finished, the switches were hanging outside the boxes. Well, my mom accidentally hit one of the kitchen switches with the broom, causing it to make contact with the switch next to it resulting in a large spark, a loud crack, a tripped breaker, and no lights in the kitchen. Realizing what happened, she goes to the breaker box to flip the breaker back on. Rather than reading the breaker ID diagram taped to the box, her method is to flip breakers until the kitchen lights come back on. She, of course, flips on the breaker for the master bath.

I heard the arcing of the current before I felt it, as I happened to move my hand away from a switch. Then I felt it - not the current but my wedding ring. I don't know how long the current was running through my ring into me but, when I looked at it, my ring was glowing!

It burnt the fingertips of my right hand as I took off the ring and, of course, left an indelible, seared-on ring around my finger which resulted in a visit to the doctor. I still have faint scarring on that finger. Oh, and the ring had slag divots from the arcing current, a flat spot from where I dropped it on the floor, and a slight elliptical shape.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk

willie52

All-American
Jan 25, 2008
Arab, AL
Haven't worn jewelry in years. Worked in electronics in the military and after losing two wedding rings by taking them off and putting them in my pocket before I started work we decided I didn't need to wear one. I've seen a guy lose a finger jumping out of a deuce and a half and catching it on the latch on the back gate.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.