Brokaw rips Bama

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Funny, because:
- Both Alabama and Auburn rank higher than Ole Miss, and
- Mississippi is the state that every other state is thankful for, as they can always point to it and say 'at least we aren't Mississippi...'

Silly pandering, agreed.
Exactly..Did he factor in that Mississippi ranks behind Alabama in,wellll, pretty much everything that's ranked...

Bad Pony

All-American
Nov 14, 1999
Pelham
The University of Alabama sent the following statement Sunday night:

“Thirty-six percent of the freshman class at the University of Alabama has an ACT score of 30 or higher. This places Alabama in the top 5% in the country. Our numbers speak for themselves.”

I guess we can go back to talking about white helmets now :)

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
I'm sure the Ole Miss folks hee-hawed about it, just like a Bama crowd would if a guest speaker said similar about UGA/Aub/UT.

No big thang.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
It would've been so much more credible and, er, sacerdotal if only it had emanated from Brian Williams instead of Brokaw...

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms
I think most Bama fans know it was a joke. It is just good natured needling both ways. The reason it is funny though is because he said this at Ole Miss, not exactly the Stanford of the south.
I do too. It was just a joke. It is entirely too easy for people to get their panties in a wad nowadays......

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
I saw it on the local news and the comment was made that he knows his audience. The only thing I find wrong with Brokaw's quip was that he used the University of Alabama instead of MSU or even LSU. I don't think he knows his audience.

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
He won't have to worry. I'm fairly sure The Capstone can find much better speakers, than a has-been "journalist".

</rant>
I have to disagree on the "has been" characterization. Since leaving NBC Evening News at the top of his game, he has been a successful author and done so much for the World War II Vets to first help get the memorial in Washington, DC and then to capture their stories on video before they are all gone. I believe he is a great American, venerated at the Walter Cronkite level.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I have to disagree on the "has been" characterization. Since leaving NBC Evening News at the top of his game, he has been a successful author and done so much for the World War II Vets to first help get the memorial in Washington, DC and then to capture their stories on video before they are all gone. I believe he is a great American, venerated at the Walter Cronkite level.
Agree 100%.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas

I am well aware of his work, on behalf of WWII vets. He was the nightly propagandist, on NBC. I have no use for him, or Cronkite. Since this is not NS, I'll leave it at that.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
I was able to hear Brokaw speak last October at a benefit dinner for Faulkner University. I enjoyed his talk - which centered mostly on the Greatest Generation - and thought he was terrific. My only disappointment was I wish he had talked longer.

I took his comment as being directed at all Alabamians, not specifically UA. Most of the barners I work with took it the same way. I don't necessarily blame Brokaw, I blame Ole Miss for not giving him something positive he could compliment that bunch for. Considering: no west division titles, no SEC titles, school nickname and mascot in flux, a clump of trees for tailgating, an ongoing ncaa investigation, and, not to mention, trailing the nation in everything of any importance. I give Brokaw a pass on this one.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
I was able to hear Brokaw speak last October at a benefit dinner for Faulkner University. I enjoyed his talk - which centered mostly on the Greatest Generation - and thought he was terrific. My only disappointment was I wish he had talked longer.

I took his comment as being directed at all Alabamians, not specifically UA. Most of the barners I work with took it the same way. I don't necessarily blame Brokaw, I blame Ole Miss for not giving him something positive he could compliment that bunch for. Considering: no west division titles, no SEC titles, school nickname and mascot in flux, a clump of trees for tailgating, an ongoing ncaa investigation, and, not to mention, trailing the nation in everything of any importance. I give Brokaw a pass on this one.
I considered this as well when I first heard it; one of those neighboring state deals. He did specifically say "University of Alabama" so I thought it would have been better directed to a rival school like MSU or LSU or just say "in Alabama"...

b2v4ua

All-SEC
Dec 12, 2009
Springville,Al

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.