News Article: Vols favored in every game this year by ESPN

Power Eye

All-SEC
Aug 3, 2005
I don't really understand the love that UT is getting going into this coming season. I realize they won 6 straight to finish last year, but their schedule after losing to us was very weak and a loss to any one of the teams they played would have been very disappointing. I can see them being the favorite in the East, but I've seen preseason rankings with them as high as #5. Other than maybe the Outback Bowl win against an average Northwestern team, their best game was a loss to us. Also, to say they are favored in every game next season is misleading. Whatever the FPI is, it is not a betting line.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Until I actually see it on the field I'm going with the safe bet of they will continue in mediocrity. I'll give them eight/nine wins at best. But Butch Jones just comes across as a rah-rah coach in a conference that eats "rah-rah" for breakfast.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
I'm a big believer that if you really think your going to be good, keep your mouth closed and prove it on the field. UT is a media favorite for 2016 and a lot of people are picking them to win it all. Also you've got your defensive coordinator saying nobody will run on them. I do agree that's it time for UT to do something but I'll just wait until they prove it. RTR!

centerstar

2nd Team
Nov 4, 2011
Let me just remind everyone that Tennessee has beaten Alabama a whopping THREE TIMES in the last 30 years in 'games played without an extra week of rest while Alabama was slugging it out with someone else' - 1995, 1997, and 2004.

The first two teams had Peyton Manning, all three Tide teams were ON PROBATION (thanks, of course, to UT in 2004), and our none of those games was coached by a certain Legend of Kent State, who is 11-2 and has won ELEVEN IN A ROW against the Vols, including the game that sent Tennessee into their fifteen-year tailspin in December 2001.

So...yeah, whatever.
Not contradicting you on the probable outcome off this year, but you should take another look at the record book. UT won every matchup from 95-01, and 03, 04, and 06. I live in Nashville. It was excruciating.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Giving them to much credit before they actually earn & prove it on the football field can be detrimental in their offseason preparation..Reading how good they are can make them get a big head & make them not work harder because they feel they're already at the top..

Preseason accolades can hurt a football team that doesn't have a HC that keeps his players hungry to become even better than what the media makes them out to be..

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
I don't really understand the love that UT is getting going into this coming season. I realize they won 6 straight to finish last year, but their schedule after losing to us was very weak and a loss to any one of the teams they played would have been very disappointing. I can see them being the favorite in the East, but I've seen preseason rankings with them as high as #5. Other than maybe the Outback Bowl win against an average Northwestern team, their best game was a loss to us. Also, to say they are favored in every game next season is misleading. Whatever the FPI is, it is not a betting line.
QB and returning starters. This is the second consecutive year with 17 or more returning starters including the starting QB. 18 in 2015 and 17 in 2016. That is HUGE!

"For instance, last year there were 26 teams that returned 16 starters or more, including their QB. Of those 26 teams, 19 had a better record in 2015 than they did in 2014. Five had the same record, and only two of the 26 had a weaker record."

Phil Steele 2016

Phil Steele 2015

Last edited:

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
If they blow the VT game as they did the Oklahoma game in 2015, they may not even beat Ohio, much less the next four. Would love to see them start 1-6! Would love to see them lose every game for the rest of my life!

CraigMack

1st Team
Jul 13, 2000
Chelsea, AL
Not contradicting you on the probable outcome off this year, but you should take another look at the record book. UT won every matchup from 95-01, and 03, 04, and 06. I live in Nashville. It was excruciating.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
He said in games played without an extra week of rest for UT*.

mikes12

All-American
Nov 10, 2005
Chattanooga, TN
QB and returning starters. This is the second consecutive year with 17 or more returning starters including the starting QB. 18 in 2015 and 17 in 2016.
Another thing to keep in mind is they lost 4 games last year. Two of those opponents made it to the championship playoffs, and in all four of those loss games, UT had a fourth quarter lead at one point.

I think they'll be improved this year. I'm glad they don't get the bye week before us this time.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Butch Jones has YET to impress me. He seems to talk a good game and knows how to deftly handle and work the media, but other than beating Georgia last year he has no signature wins and the choke jobs against Oklahoma and Florida last season were embarrassing to watch, even for an Alabama fan like myself. If he doesn't win a minimum of 10 games and get to the SECCG this next season I think he's in serious trouble.
The only signature win the previous coach had was over Butch Jones.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Until I actually see it on the field I'm going with the safe bet of they will continue in mediocrity. I'll give them eight/nine wins at best. But Butch Jones just comes across as a rah-rah coach in a conference that eats "rah-rah" for breakfast.
Unless you think aTm under Knight is going to be significantly better, and Kirby is going to be an instant success at UGA, Tennessee is going to be a 10 win team despite Butch. Dobbs is easily the best returning qb in the league this year. Now I don't know if our streak stops this year, but I said it two years ago that this year would be the trickiest game in our path to get to 10. Also they aint losing to Florida this time.

Saturday
Sep. 3
Appalachian State Mountaineers
Neyland Stadium, Knoxville, TN
TBABuy
Tickets
Saturday
Sep. 10
Virginia Tech Hokies
Bristol Motor Speedway, Bristol, TN
TBABuy
Tickets
Saturday
Sep. 17
Ohio Bobcats
TBABuy
Tickets
Saturday
Sep. 24
Florida Gators
TBABuy
Tickets
Saturday
Oct. 1
at Georgia Bulldogs
Sanford Stadium, Athens, GA
TBABuy
Tickets
Saturday
Oct. 8
at Texas A&M Aggies
Kyle Field, College Station, TX
TBABuy
Tickets
Saturday
Oct. 15
Alabama Crimson Tide
TBABuy
Tickets
Saturday
Oct. 22
---Open------
Saturday
Oct. 29
at South Carolina Gamecocks
Williams-Brice Stadium, Columbia, SC
TBABuy
Tickets
Saturday
Nov. 5
Tennessee Tech Golden Eagles
TBABuy
Tickets
Saturday
Nov. 12
Kentucky Wildcats
TBABuy
Tickets
Saturday
Nov. 19
Missouri Tigers
TBABuy
Tickets
Saturday
Nov. 26
at Vanderbilt Commodores
Vanderbilt Stadium, Nashville, TN

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
My stats have Tennessee going 8-4. Stats have A&M beating them, but stats don't know how inept Sumlin is, so maybe 9-3. I do think Kirby has the talent (and leadership) to beat Tennessee again.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
My stats have Tennessee going 8-4. Stats have A&M beating them, but stats don't know how inept Sumlin is, so maybe 9-3. I do think Kirby has the talent (and leadership) to beat Tennessee again.
Florida has too much to replace for me to see them winning at Neyland. Last year Tennessee gave the game away to a more talented and experienced version of Florida.

UGA could catch them on a high after beating Florida.

aTm wont be able to stop Dobbs, but the question is if Trevor Knight is as good as he was in the 2014 Sugar Bowl or is he as bad as he was in the 2014-15 season.

As for our game with them, we have Arkie before them so its not like they are the only ones with tough weeks before the game.

Aside from those games its down to USCe and UK to ruin their season, and you can never count on them.

9-3 would probably be Tennessee's worst realistic case scenario, 8-4 would be the end of the Butch Jones era with the amount of talent and experience coming back.

Last edited:

danb

All-SEC
Dec 4, 2011
Hazel Green, AL
I seemed to remember the same talking heads were raving over how good the barn was going to be last year...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
Since I live up here I've noticed more Vol fans showing their colors than I can remember in years. They believe this is their year. When I look at their schedule I think they have good reason for optimism. If they get on a roll they could win ever game before they play us.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I seemed to remember the same talking heads were raving over how good the barn was going to be last year...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
First off... I hate the Vols more than I hate Auburn, and it pains me deeply to give those scumbags any such credit whatsoever. But I think the Vol talk is a lot more credible than Auburn's the last two years.

Auburn's talk centered around their offense, and people love offense. But no one looked at the amount of teams they played with a credible defense and Auburn's lack of. Then last year, everyone thought Johnson was going to flourish in Malzhan's offense, but failed to see he was a different QB than what a Malzhan offense required.

Tennessee catches 2 teams changing coaches (UGA and USCe), 1 team in a rebuilding year (UF), and draws a lower end west opponent (aTm). Their schedule sets up nicely with them having the most experienced team in the East coming back.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.