News Article: Vols favored in every game this year by ESPN

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
If you want attention you predict stuff like this and the preseason picks who go for the Cinderella teams.

If you are serious you look at the past four years of recruiting and on field performance W/L. That is were you get your accurate predictions. Even then there are the Michigan State collapses and the Colorado upstarts. Anyway, those who picked Tennessee were wanting attention.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
Where can I read up on the origins of the mutual dislike (hatred?) between the two programs?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Lots of people know lots more than I do about what happened but I think their HC Phil Fulmer set a Bama Booster up with a recruit named Albert Means
about 04 or 05 maybe and then turned him in to the ncaa and Bama got probation and the ncaa talked of shutting Bama football down. Lots more than that but that was the beginning. Some Tn. booster named Tn. Stud was heavily involved and the head of the SEC was also shown to be involved if I'm thinking correct.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Lots of people know lots more than I do about what happened but I think their HC Phil Fulmer set a Bama Booster up with a recruit named Albert Means in 1999 and then turned him in to the ncaa and Bama got probation and the ncaa talked of shutting Bama football down. Lots more than that but that was the beginning. Some Tn. booster named Tn. Stud was heavily involved and the head of the SEC was also shown to be involved if I'm thinking correct.
FIFY

More here, but lots of missing details. To fill in a few gaps, Roy Kramer (Vandy grad, UT fan) was the SEC commissioner and caught wind that Means' high school coaches were trying to 'sell' their services to steer Means to a school. The SEC office sent a letter to 11 of the 12 schools (Alabama was excluded) telling them to back off Means. He ends up signing at Bama and the NCAA began snooping, eventually leveling serious allegations of pay-for-play. The FBI got involved due the amount of money involved, but even they, with subpoena power, etc., never found the money trail. The NCAA also broke their own rules by allowing a 'secret witness' (later revealed to be UT coach fulmer) to testify against Bama.

All this was an effort to shut down Bama football - orchestrated by Kramer and fulmer. It was later revealed that fulmer had been telling recruits "Alabama will be out of business in a few years".

So yeah, tennessee, with the help of the SEC, set up Alabama. To this day, there's no proof Bama cheated wrt Means, yet we have this black stain on our history due to this fat man's fantasy.

There's a lot more to this story but that's the gist of it.

So yeah, they knew they couldn't surpass us on the field, so they decided to play dirty. This is why I hate tennessee and will never, ever wish anything but bad things for that football program.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
And still to this day you will find Awbern fans bragging about beating Bama 6 times in a row during the time we were on probation. Also about the time Bama was coming off probation an awbern booster was trying to set a couple Bama players up, I can't remember all the details but it was something about going out on a charter fishing boat.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
OP link bookmarked for future ESPN FPI discussions. From the link:

"..................... it’s never too early to speculate about who will win every game before we even realistically know what teams will look like.One service that does this expertly is ESPN’s Football Power Index (FPI)."

Last edited:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Lots of people know lots more than I do about what happened but I think their HC Phil Fulmer set a Bama Booster up with a recruit named Albert Means
about 04 or 05 maybe and then turned him in to the ncaa and Bama got probation and the ncaa talked of shutting Bama football down. Lots more than that but that was the beginning. Some Tn. booster named Tn. Stud was heavily involved and the head of the SEC was also shown to be involved if I'm thinking correct.
For me the important factor was that Tennessee did not seek to defeat Alabama on the field. That is normal. Tennessee (Fulmer, Tenn Stud, Roy Kramer) sought the off the field destruction of Alabama football. It was as ethical as the player who tries to injure an opposing player's knees during a match. Any decent person would shun and condemn such behavior, but at Tennessee it was policy and it was celebrated.

Hard to forgive that kind of behavior.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.