Cam Robinson Arrested (UPDATE: No charges due to lack of evidence)

Status
Not open for further replies.

efd840

1st Team
Nov 23, 2009
Re: Cam Robinson Arrested

Here there are laws about registering a hand gun after a purchase like this, so even if he did purchase the gun from someone and can prove it, a failure to register it would suggest guilt. So, assuming that LA has similar laws, he could still be in trouble unless he just purchased the gun - like, within the last few days.

Actually, most gun friendly states don't have registration systems. More to the point here, neither Alabama nor Louisiana require the registration of either long guns or handguns.

Crimson57s

1st Team
Aug 18, 2012

Sigh. C'mon guys.

It's amazing how much trouble you can avoid at that time of the morning if you are at home, in bed, asleep. Not keeping dope around helps, too.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL

Louisiana RS 14:95
B.(1) Whoever commits the crime of illegal carrying of weapons shall be fined not more than five hundred dollars, or imprisoned for not more than six months, or both.

(2) Whoever commits the crime of illegal carrying of weapons with any firearm used in the commission of a crime of violence as defined in R.S. 14:2(B), shall be fined not more than two thousand dollars, or imprisoned, with or without hard labor, for not less than one year nor more than two years, or both.
E. If the offender uses, possesses, or has under his immediate control any firearm, or other instrumentality customarily used or intended for probable use as a dangerous weapon, while committing or attempting to commit a crime of violence or while in the possession of or during the sale or distribution of a controlled dangerous substance, the offender shall be fined not more than ten thousand dollars and imprisoned at hard labor for not less than five nor more than ten years without the benefit of probation, parole, or suspension of sentence. Upon a second or subsequent conviction, the offender shall be imprisoned at hard labor for not less than twenty years nor more than thirty years without the benefit of probation, parole, or suspension of sentence.
Looks like Louisiana is a ball breaker state with respect to guns + drugs.

It is as bad or worse to simultaneously possess illegal drugs and a gun than to actually commit a violent crime with said gun. 5-10 years just for having these objects. Good Lord.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Louisiana RS 14:95

Looks like Louisiana is a ball breaker state with respect to guns + drugs.

It is as bad or worse to simultaneously possess illegal drugs and a gun than to actually commit a violent crime with said gun. 5-10 years just for having these objects. Good Lord.
So simply having these guns in their possession (legal or not) while having weed in their possession could burry them? Am I reading that right?

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA

Forget the stolen gun for a moment. Since it was under the seat, I'll let that slide for a moment.

What I don't get is that it was less than a week ago that Saban sat in front of the team and told them about the choices they could make over this 3 week off period.

And these guys still ended up in a car, with weed and guns in a parking lot at 2 am. I just don't understand how you can be that stupid.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA

Forget the stolen gun for a moment. Since it was under the seat, I'll let that slide for a moment.

What I don't get is that it was less than a week ago that Saban sat in front of the team and told them about the choices they could make over this 3 week off period.

And these guys still ended up in a car, with weed and guns in a parking lot at 2 am. I just don't understand how you can be that stupid.
They are kids with not completely developed prefrontal cortex's. You can look it up but it is the area of the brain that doesn't fully develop until mid to late 20's. It is the part of the brain involved heavily in advanced decision making and identifying cause and effect relationships.

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN

On the face of it, Cam & Hootie may be charged with gross stupidity. All other legal matters need to be resolved through the judicial system. Hopefully, neither of them have been in trouble with the law before and the charges are pleaded down to misdemeanors. Whatever the result of those proceedings, these two young men will have to meet with Coach Saban with that automatic door lock!! Would not want to be in their shoes for that.

What comes of this the future will enfold. Just hope these young mean learn a very serious lesson so that they don't repeat this stupidity.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL

So simply having these guns in their possession (legal or not) while having weed in their possession could burry them? Am I reading that right?
I am not a legal expert, but it looks like the discretion of prosecutors will be an important factor.
Laws like these seem like they are intended to provide leverage against members of criminal gangs to pressure them into revealing incriminating information about leaders.
It's pretty obvious that's not what the situation is here, but based on a simple reading of the text of the law, it seems like they could be ruined if somebody wanted to make it happen.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

I am not a legal expert, but it looks like the discretion of prosecutors will be an important factor.
Laws like these seem like they are intended to provide leverage against members of criminal gangs to pressure them into revealing incriminating information about leaders.
It's pretty obvious that's not what the situation is here, but based on a simple reading of the text of the law, it seems like they could be ruined if somebody wanted to make it happen.
Louisana prosecuters would love to ruin the life of an Alabama football player who left Louisiana to play at the Capstone, thus betraying their mighty LSU. That's just my opinion, but those folks have a horrible attitude when it comes to football. I hope for the best when the facts come out.

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama

It says "if used during the sale or distribution of drugs..." so as long as the dope was for personal use, maybe it's not a ball breaker statute.

dvil doc

1st Team
Dec 3, 2014
Northern Virginia

They are kids with not completely developed prefrontal cortex's. You can look it up but it is the area of the brain that doesn't fully develop until mid to late 20's. It is the part of the brain involved heavily in advanced decision making and identifying cause and effect relationships.
Yet this country asks men and women of same age with "not completely developed prefrontal cortexes" to bleed and die in its defense with no promise of an opportunity for a multi-million dollar contract. They do it from a place of discipline, honor, and commitment. Oh, and a huge dose of courage.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw

When the day comes, I'm sure the sound of the automatic door in Saban's office closing will sound a lot like a guillotine to these boys.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

Update: Click here

Of course, the charge is not necessarily so cut and dry.“There are a lot of defenses to all of this,” Monroe-area criminal defense attorney Cameron Murray told the TimesDaily/Decatur Daily on Tuesday. “The government does still have the burden to prove that they knew it was stolen, or should have known. But if they can prove they didn’t know, then that’s an affirmative defense.”
Murray also indicated that the fact that this would be a first offense for both Jones and Robinson could ultimately work in both their favors.
“The district attorney office here is very good about trying to keep somebody from having a felony on their record, so it’s imminently possible this could be worked out to either a misdemeanor or possibly a dismissal depending on the circumstances of each case,” Murray explained. “Even a firearms case, as long as it doesn’t involve a violent act, generally this district attorney wants to protect the futures of our youth, and two young men like this with a bright future who made one mistake, the district attorney here generally tries to help those people either through rehabilitation or some good decision-making classes.
“There are all kind of things that we could offer them to make sure this does not haunt them forever. And in these two particular young men’s case, I think a very good argument could be made, that due to the damage that this might cause to their football career, that they’ve suffered enough.”
- See more at: http://bamablog.wpengine.com/?p=29643#sthash.4bSGTeqG.dpuf

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw

But I would not put it past the prosecutors to make Cam perform some kind of community serve the day of the LSU game.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA

Yet this country asks men and women of same age with "not completely developed prefrontal cortexes" to bleed and die in its defense with no promise of an opportunity for a multi-million dollar contract. They do it from a place of discipline, honor, and commitment. Oh, and a huge dose of courage.
Because they are easier led and have the best physical capabilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.