Cam Robinson Arrested (UPDATE: No charges due to lack of evidence)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Re: Cam Robinson Arrested

I bought the SEC magazines (Athlon and Lindy's) this afternoon. I was looking at all the preseason All American lists and of course Cam is on both. I realize these were published before this incident, but I couldn't help but think that if this ends badly what an incredible waste of talent this will be. Before anyone calls me Captain Obvious, seeing his name on all these lists just drove it home to me just how serious this is. Smoking a little weed is just not worth it.
Smoking a little weed has nothing to do with if Cam is on the team or not on the team.

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013

I won't rehash the debate out of respect for Earle but there was definitely some choice words questioning police action without any facts to back them up. Let's hold judgment on all parties involved until the case is resolved.
Exactly.

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013

Another thing to remember regarding Terry stops is that a lot of them probably result in nothing. In this case, it resulted in weed and guns. But anyone in 2016 who tries to refute that being black, in a fancy car, in a closed park isn't an invitation for an illegal search is kidding yourself.
And the operative words are "closed park."

Airborne Tider

All-American
Aug 2, 2008
Fort Benning

A park with "hours" needs to have gates on the entrances and exits, otherwise, it is not really "closed." The mere location of a car in a public place at 2am may or may not indicate a reason for a Terry Stop (stop and frisk). A box truck behind a furniture store at 3am loading furniture would be a legitimate reason for a Terry Stop. The park Robinson and Jones were in may or may not be such a location. If it is a high crime area, probably a legitimate reason for a stop. If not, and there were no closed entrances and exits, then I would certainly argue that the Terry Stop was an illegal search and seizure. The "smell of marijuana" excuse is widely used when there is no other reason to perform a traffic stop. Any LEO who denies this is telling a fib. Like I said before, a high percentage of the time the smell is legit--either from just having smoked in the car or just having a car that smells like a weed ashtray.

As for LEO's who lie on police reports, it most definitely happens. Sometimes, it is just in the form of an "embellished" story. I've seen it a few times in my 12 years of being a juvenile defense attorney. The good thing is, it happens rarely, but IMO, once is too much. All of the LEO I deal with personally in my job are top notch men and women. But, let's be honest here. All humans have the capacity to lie in a CYA situation.

Another thing to remember regarding Terry stops is that a lot of them probably result in nothing. In this case, it resulted in weed and guns. But anyone in 2016 who tries to refute that being black, in a fancy car, in a closed park isn't an invitation for an illegal search is kidding yourself.
I thought we were dropping this? Is this still a debate about who are the bad guys, the guys who had guns and drugs or the cops? I can continue to debate case law all week but Earle asked me to stop and I did. Now you're talking about technicalities and speculation. Lawyers gonna lawyer I guess..

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Last edited:

MikeD

Suspended
Feb 24, 2007

Personal responsibility is not a one-way street. Cases like this get thrown out all the time because police push past constitutional protections. That goes back to the Bill of Rights. Two guns and an amount of drugs are troubling. But if a court decides the officer lacked reasonable cause for a search, they become irrelevant. What the players' families and Nick Saban make of them is another matter entirely.
I agree with you. They should have been able to commit illegal acts without having to worry about the police interrupting.

MemphisBamaDude

1st Team
Nov 12, 2008
Memphis, TN

I keep checking back on this thread hoping to find some new info. Instead there's nothing but moral quibbling. Can we get over how dumb this was and just focus on the repercussions???

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

As for LEO's who lie on police reports, it most definitely happens. Sometimes, it is just in the form of an "embellished" story. I've seen it a few times in my 12 years of being a juvenile defense attorney. The good thing is, it happens rarely, but IMO, once is too much. All of the LEO I deal with personally in my job are top notch men and women. But, let's be honest here. All humans have the capacity to lie in a CYA situation.
I'm glad to hear it's rare or you to see an embellished story...the term I learned on this thread that's used to refer to doing that is "church it up."
Speculation about potential police misconduct is a legitimate topic for this thread in my opinion.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I had been pondering exactly what 81 suggested above. The thread is just going round and round. Let's let it rest for a while until we hear something new...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.