Cam Robinson Arrested (UPDATE: No charges due to lack of evidence)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crimson Speed

All-American
Oct 2, 2005
The Shoals, North West Alabama
Re: Cam Robinson Arrested

From a legal standpoint, I not so sure this will amount to very much. Smoking pot in a public park at 2 AM is stupid. If they have no previous convictions and assuming Cam did not know the gun was stolen, I believe this thing could go away with only a fine or period of probation. Whether we want to admit it or not, a significant number of drivers carry a pistol in their car and many of them do not have a carry permit. I would argue a lot of those are unregistered firearms. Anyone that purchases a used firearm from another individual will not, in most cases have the gun registered in his name. The buyer is taking a chance that the gun is not stolen, but he also now has a gun that the government can not take away from him if the 2nd amendment is ever repealed. When I purchase a used gun, there is no way I will run to the courthouse to inform the government that I own it. I not saying that this was Cam's thought process, but these two young men did not commit armed robbery or get in a gunfight with anyone. Yes, they are guilty of using poor judgement, but I don't see it as something that should ruin their lives. After Saban gets through with them, they may wish they were in the slammer.

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999

A note as of 11:30 p.m. Tuesday...

At this time, the information I have says it's unlikely he is removed from the team. It would certainly be a big blow if it were to happen (enough that I think it could knock Bama out of playoff contention), but I do not expect it to happen. I will update this if something changes.

BrotherOfBear

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 28, 2006
Backwoods, AL

This just makes me sick. If the gun charge is accurate I will be disappointed if Robinson suits up at all for Bama this year. Every year it is the same story--same outcomes. For once I would just like to see life take precedent over football. If the coaching staff is worried about what will happen to him put him on the coaching staff. Make the next 365 days about the rehabilitation of Cam. Have him go into schools and speak about the dangers that destroy young black lives every day. ESPN can do a 30 for 30 special on Cam making a positive difference at the expense of being on the field.

CrimsonPride

1st Team
Dec 9, 2001
Chattanooga, TN

Yes I did stupid stuff when I was young but I was taught that there were consequences for doing stupid stuff. I'm glad that I was punished. It made me think before doing more stupid stuff that would have got me in more trouble. I was 17 when I did something stupid. My mother was friends with the police chief. He was going to let me go but my mother told him to keep me in jail to teach me a lesson. This "poor little kids were just being kids" mentality is what is wrong in this country. Oh poor boys, don't criticize or punish then for their poor behavior. We do that and they never learn responsibility.
I agree. Many have speculated that these guys are dreading having to face CNS. If this were my son, CNS or the police would be the least of his concerns. He would probably beg the police to keep him in jail for a day or two so that I could calm down before I saw him. At his current age of 21, he would down right fear trying to explain this mess to me. Anything CNS would say to him would pale by comparison to what he got from me. Not saying that this is not the case with these parents, it just seems odd that everyone immediately looks to CNS to be the primary disciplinarian.

Last edited:

Vinny

Hall of Fame
Sep 27, 2001
Rockaway, NJ

Were they near a school? Up here if you are caught with drugs in a school zone, you can pack your bags for the pokey, not to mention possession of a stolen firearm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia

They were close by a high school but not in a school zone. It's a big park.
Apparently, they were in the "twilight zone".

Just wow. I appreciate the fact that when I was growing up you had to really try to get in trouble. Centre Al was about as quiet of a place as you could find. You could get in trouble if you squealed your tires in the Piggly Wiggly parking lot on Saturday night after closing. I'm sure there was pot etc at JSU but I never saw it. Sometimes pays to be a bit naïve and boring. Times have changed. Sadly. Hope things work out for these players. My favorite Alabamian, Forrest/Forrest Gump, had a saying that pretty much sums up the situation.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

This just makes me sick. If the gun charge is accurate I will be disappointed if Robinson suits up at all for Bama this year. Every year it is the same story--same outcomes. For once I would just like to see life take precedent over football. If the coaching staff is worried about what will happen to him put him on the coaching staff. Make the next 365 days about the rehabilitation of Cam. Have him go into schools and speak about the dangers that destroy young black lives every day. ESPN can do a 30 for 30 special on Cam making a positive difference at the expense of being on the field.
Umm, I think you are reading a lot into this. What was done was obviously stupid, and should be punished.

However, as far as I know no one was hurt or even harmed by their actions (other than themselves). Why don't we let the people who are paid to deal with these sort of situations determine an appropriate response?

Let's just make this clear though, assuming that the gun was not actually stolen by one of the players (they would in fact be victims of a sort in relation to that), there were no victims. Also, there was no coverup. This isn't like the situations we've seen elsewhere. I want these guys to be punished appropriately, but I think we as a society can be too quick to try to do real harm to someone who actually did no harm to others. What they did was stupid, and against the rules, and should be punished. However, to reiterate unless one of those players actually stole that gun themselves, there are no victims!

Last edited:

MikeD

Suspended
Feb 24, 2007

What they did was stupid no doubt but I think you're going a bit overboard. I'm guessing you never did anything when you were that age that looking back would be considered a bit dumb. If not you would be the first person I've ever come across.
Are you trying to equate what these guys did as "being a little dumb". I thought they were arrested? I think a lot of kids make it through college without getting arrested.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

From a legal standpoint, I not so sure this will amount to very much. Smoking pot in a public park at 2 AM is stupid. If they have no previous convictions and assuming Cam did not know the gun was stolen, I believe this thing could go away with only a fine or period of probation. Whether we want to admit it or not, a significant number of drivers carry a pistol in their car and many of them do not have a carry permit. I would argue a lot of those are unregistered firearms. Anyone that purchases a used firearm from another individual will not, in most cases have the gun registered in his name. The buyer is taking a chance that the gun is not stolen, but he also now has a gun that the government can not take away from him if the 2nd amendment is ever repealed. When I purchase a used gun, there is no way I will run to the courthouse to inform the government that I own it. I not saying that this was Cam's thought process, but these two young men did not commit armed robbery or get in a gunfight with anyone. Yes, they are guilty of using poor judgement, but I don't see it as something that should ruin their lives. After Saban gets through with them, they may wish they were in the slammer.
regardless of one's stance on guns, having one with you in a car (or anywhere) while being intoxicated is stupid.

Last edited:

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds

If all this is true I want both off the team. I don't want people that stupid representing our team and state. I mean why go to a public park to smoke weed at 2am, especially with guns in the car. They could have just stayed home and smoked like a normal person and we would've never heard about this.
That statement reeeeally narrows the pool of people able to represent the state. :wink:

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.

Umm, I think you are reading a lot into this. What was done was obviously stupid, and should be punished.

However, as far as I know no one was hurt or even harmed by their actions (other than themselves). Why don't we let the people who are paid to deal with these sort of situations determine an appropriate response?

Let's just make this clear though, assuming that the gun was not actually stolen by one of the players (they would in fact be victims of a sort in relation to that), there were no victims. Also, there was no coverup. This isn't like the situations we've seen elsewhere. I want these guys to be punished appropriately, but I think we as a society can be too quick to try to do real harm to someone who actually did no harm to others. What they did was stupid, and against the rules, and should be punished. However, to reiterate unless one of those players actually stole that gun themselves, there are no victims!
I agree, it's easy to sit 300 miles away and come down hard on someone else. If I was punished for my actions as a teen by some of the posters on this site I would still be in jail. Luckily, (I guess) I was hauled in front of our Methodist preacher and had to suffer his ire. I cleaned many yards of the elder people in our community and listened to other teens ride by laughing.

Last edited:

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.

If all this is true I want both off the team. I don't want people that stupid representing our team and state. I mean why go to a public park to smoke weed at 2am, especially with guns in the car. They could have just stayed home and smoked like a normal person and we would've never heard about this.
WOW! Lock em up and throw away the key. They are worthless young men and probably will never be a Dr. or lawyer. I wonder if you have any skeletons hiding in your closet. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country

What's done is done. We have all made mistakes in our lives and have suffered the consequences. My concern now is how will our young offensive lineman step up and do what is necessary to play winning football. If they can do that, then when Cam comes back (if he comes back) we will be even better. We have the talent, all we need is the oneness.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere

Some of our posters have obviously never been involved with young people at all in their life. That is the whole idea of growing up and maturing. You almost have to make mistakes in life to make yourself a better person. Without one making mistakes their would be no reason to have teachers, coaches or leaders in our world. What we think is absolutely stupid is probably because of our age and seeing the consequences for our mistakes or our friends growing up. I feel that both of these guys will learn from this and it could very well be at a high cost for both them and their teammates. I will wait and see what happens in the coming days.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

A reminder of what Saban said about second chances with players....

Read the link

“There’s always a lot of criticism out there when somebody does something wrong, everybody wants to know ‘How are you going to punish the guy?’ But there’s not enough – for 19 and 20 year old kids – people out there saying ‘why don’t you give them another chance?’ So I’m going to give a speech right now about this.
“Where do you want them to be? Guy makes a mistake. Where do you want them to be? Want them to be in the street? Or do you want them to be here, graduating. When I was over there at the Nagurski (Award banquet in Charlotte, N.C.) Muhsin Muhammad, who played 15 years for the Carolina Panthers, played for me at Michigan State (was there).

Vinny

Hall of Fame
Sep 27, 2001
Rockaway, NJ

I'm no lawyer, but I have sat jury duty a few times and if spun the right way, the gun being stolen could be considered circumstantial evidence. How the gun got there? Who knows, but I could see the prosecution having a hard time making the stolen gun charge stick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

imaloyalone

Super Moderator
Jan 9, 2005
Northport, AL

Some of our posters have obviously never been involved with young people at all in their life. That is the whole idea of growing up and maturing. You almost have to make mistakes in life to make yourself a better person. Without one making mistakes their would be no reason to have teachers, coaches or leaders in our world. What we think is absolutely stupid is probably because of our age and seeing the consequences for our mistakes or our friends growing up. I feel that both of these guys will learn from this and it could very well be at a high cost for both them and their teammates. I will wait and see what happens in the coming days.
I respect what you're saying and agree with a great deal of it. However, what a lot of our posters are struggling with is the fact that this seems to be a reoccurring issue. Not necessarily the same exact situation, but similar encounters with the law. Being able to effectively learn from these things, in the opinions of many of us, is based directly on the consequences. As much as I want to think about the individual IN each of these situations, I also think about the ones who will ultimately benefit BY these situations - players who look at the punishment and say "I'm not going to let that kind of thing happen to me." It's not that any of us don't understand kids or the maturation process... it's about seeing these types of things decrease rather than increase.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina

The male teen-age brain is far from fully mature...the "risk-aversion" aspect has not fully developed. This is why adolescent males do such stupid things...not because they are "bad" characters. If having a squeaky clean slate were a prescription for ministry then I don't know many of us who would have ever been ordained -- and I'm in my 41st year!

What is shocking is thinking that having guns in the car and smoking marijuana at 2:00am at a local park is acceptable behavior. Someone, somewhere has dropped the ball...but ultimately, they are responsible.

Pray that these young men will learn, will get proper guidance, and that -- football aside -- they will learn to get rid of the "entitlement mentality" that so many great athletes are given from elementary school forward. The sooner they learn to put that behind them and that they must work in all areas of their life to be successful, the sooner they will mature.

And that's my diatribe/sermon for the day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.