Cam Robinson Arrested (UPDATE: No charges due to lack of evidence)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
Re: Cam Robinson Arrested

Everyone here seems to assume that Cam and Hootie are guilty as charged. I would like to offer an alternative hypothesis:

1. I imagine that Cam and Hootie are not popular among a certain segment of the Monroe population, perhaps including some law enforcement officers. They spurned LSU to go to a hated rival. And to top it off, Cam has been very successful at said rival.
2. Young black men in many small rural communities in the South are not the most popular people with a certain segment of the population, perhaps including some law enforcement officers. And young black men who are going to be making a whole lot of money soon are even less popular with this group. I believe that the historical term is "uppity".
3. Cam and Hootie were out late at night in a small town in Louisiana, not a good decision. They were parked in a local park. A member of Monroe's finest, a member of one or both of the groups mentioned above approaches the car. He "smells marijuana" and asks both to step out of the vehicle. Then having "smelled marijuana" he is given probable cause to search the vehicle. He "finds" two guns, one of which is stolen, together with a bag of marijuana. Things that were not in fact in the vehicle until he began to "search" for them. Serious charges follow.

This could just be a modern day lynching. Nothing more.

Un-freaking-believable.

Tidetwin

All-American
May 15, 2006
Northeast Georgia

"Smelling marijuana" is the best excuse to conduct an otherwise illegal stop. I wouldn't put it past any officer to use this anytime they see young black men in a car in a park(ing lot) at a late hour. And, I say this because I see it happen ALL THE time here with juveniles I represent. They have no other reason to stop a car so they "smell marijuana". It may sound like stereotyping, but the cops know, 9.9 times out of 10, they are likely to find drugs, guns or both but they need a "reason" to search the car or the person.
I don't know anything about this case except what I have read on Tidefans but what struck me as odd was that the policemen approached the car, addressed the occupants and then spotted a gun in Hootie's lap. Unless they were seriously incapacitated, said occupants of the car would certainly notice an approaching vehicle and then readily determine that it was a police car. Wouldn't you expect Hootie to take a gun from his lap that was apparently in clear sight? Maybe someone else has already discussed this and if so, I apologize for wasting everyone's time.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL

I don't know anything about this case except what I have read on Tidefans but what struck me as odd was that the policemen approached the car, addressed the occupants and then spotted a gun in Hootie's lap. Unless they were seriously incapacitated, said occupants of the car would certainly notice an approaching vehicle and then readily determine that it was a police car. Wouldn't you expect Hootie to take a gun from his lap that was apparently in clear sight? Maybe someone else has already discussed this and if so, I apologize for wasting everyone's time.
I thought the very same thing. I've never been caught doing anything like that but my first action would be to hide the gun and the weed. IDK

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

Hanging on here by its nails...
What has this thread got in common with an apostrophe? They are both hanging by their nails.
http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424127887324787004578495392479501744

I think the police were bound to check the guys out when they saw them parked that late in a park, I believe it was closed at that hour. I also don't think the police would have planted pot or guns on them, especially with them being such high-profile people. (Bama football players verses the average guy on the street.) Now, whether they actually smelled pot, or just used that as an excuse to engage them, who knows?

One thing I would bet the farm on...If Cam gets to play this season he won't do anything this dumb again.

dvil doc

1st Team
Dec 3, 2014
Northern Virginia

Meanwhile, Juan Lopez was taken into custody charged with possession of marijuana and a stolen firearm. He and an associate were found in a park at 2 in the morning.

The AP, UPI, and all college football forums are silent on the matter because they don't give a darn.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001

Yeah, let's turn this into a debate about gun rights. That will go well. You are taking him a bit out of context though:
"One thing I always tell players is that there are three bad things: Nothing good happens after midnight, nothing good happens when you're around guns unless you're going hunting"

I'm pretty sure Saban isn't telling the rest of us to stay in after midnight either, is he?
Very much appreciate the correction!

I can roll with that.

MikeD

Suspended
Feb 24, 2007

"Smelling marijuana" is the best excuse to conduct an otherwise illegal stop. I wouldn't put it past any officer to use this anytime they see young black men in a car in a park(ing lot) at a late hour. And, I say this because I see it happen ALL THE time here with juveniles I represent. They have no other reason to stop a car so they "smell marijuana". It may sound like stereotyping, but the cops know, 9.9 times out of 10, they are likely to find drugs, guns or both but they need a "reason" to search the car or the person.
Yes, I agree, it's society's fault. Thank goodness we have reached a time in this country where personal responsibility is a thing of the past.

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015

Meanwhile, Juan Lopez was taken into custody charged with possession of marijuana and a stolen firearm. He and an associate were found in a park at 2 in the morning.

The AP, UPI, and all college football forums are silent on the matter because they don't give a darn.
Was Juan Lopez that five star from Guadalajara that spurned Bama for a West Coast team?

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007

Yes, I agree, it's society's fault. Thank goodness we have reached a time in this country where personal responsibility is a thing of the past.
Personal responsibility is not a one-way street. Cases like this get thrown out all the time because police push past constitutional protections. That goes back to the Bill of Rights. Two guns and an amount of drugs are troubling. But if a court decides the officer lacked reasonable cause for a search, they become irrelevant. What the players' families and Nick Saban make of them is another matter entirely.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

I'd agree
I was wondering what he'd have to say, I should have known though, this board is usually one of the more civil places for discussion and even then there was more than few of the lock them up and throw away the key type responses. To see some people's response, you'd think these guys did something to them personally, or to someone else, neither of which appear to be the case. They should be punished, yes, but I'd hate to think of some of the idiocy being said other places, I have occasion to see the behavior and it's not admirable.

I don't get how fans treat players sometimes. Be it the way the QBs the past two seasons were treated by some, or how AG has been treated, these are not professionals, they're not paid for our amusement. They are out there trying their best and they deserve our support in that regard. The same goes towards the indifference fans show sometimes, wanting to be entertained by the players rather than just being there to show support. They're not entertainers! They are student athletes and they don't really owe us anything.

That aside, of course we have reason to be upset with what these two Alabama players did. But, our role is still to be supportive. We're not the disciplinarians in this equation. It's not our job to teach these guys a lesson, we should do our best to keep a level head and not make jackasses of our-selves. Now, I will get back to the point that this board has a lot of reasonable people saying reasonable things, but as a fanbase we can do better. Having said that, if these guys did something like rape, or that sort of thing I'd be out there calling them out as vocally as anyone else, but they didn't, they just did something really stupid.

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013

Everyone here seems to assume that Cam and Hootie are guilty as charged. I would like to offer an alternative hypothesis:

1. I imagine that Cam and Hootie are not popular among a certain segment of the Monroe population, perhaps including some law enforcement officers. They spurned LSU to go to a hated rival. And to top it off, Cam has been very successful at said rival.
2. Young black men in many small rural communities in the South are not the most popular people with a certain segment of the population, perhaps including some law enforcement officers. And young black men who are going to be making a whole lot of money soon are even less popular with this group. I believe that the historical term is "uppity".
3. Cam and Hootie were out late at night in a small town in Louisiana, not a good decision. They were parked in a local park. A member of Monroe's finest, a member of one or both of the groups mentioned above approaches the car. He "smells marijuana" and asks both to step out of the vehicle. Then having "smelled marijuana" he is given probable cause to search the vehicle. He "finds" two guns, one of which is stolen, together with a bag of marijuana. Things that were not in fact in the vehicle until he began to "search" for them. Serious charges follow.

This could just be a modern day lynching. Nothing more.
Just blame the cops. Again.

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013

Yeah, let's turn this into a debate about gun rights. That will go well. You are taking him a bit out of context though:
"One thing I always tell players is that there are three bad things: Nothing good happens after midnight, nothing good happens when you're around guns unless you're going hunting"

I'm pretty sure Saban isn't telling the rest of us to stay in after midnight either, is he?
If I wasn't at work, I'd be staying in.

Airborne Tider

All-American
Aug 2, 2008
Fort Benning

Being a police officer, I'm truly disgusted by some of the responses I have seen on here. I haven't posted here in a long time but I couldn't bite my tongue anymore. I have never been more disappointed in my own fanbase...

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013

Being a police officer, I'm truly disgusted by some of the responses I have seen on here. I haven't posted here in a long time but I couldn't bite my tongue anymore. I have never been more disappointed in my own fanbase...
I'll second that.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL

I have never been more disappointed in my own fanbase...
So you are lumping all the fanbase together because a few bad fans are lumping together all cops because of a few bad cops. Got it.

Anyway if you are going to come on the internet and claim moral high ground for ALL cops, you probably should just go back biting your tongue.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.