Votes: 20 95.2%
  • Neyland

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Ive never been to neither Tiger or Neyland Stadium and I want to experience all the SEC stadiums that I can. Im setting up my vacation plans for the fall, and at my job vacation weeks go like a draft, and both the Tennessee and LSU weeks are open. Ill probably find a way to go to both, but if I had to choose one ,which one should it be. I don't drink, and Im more concerned about the experience. I can take heckling from opposing fans so that is not an issue. Im just wondering which one is the better choice, and which one if I cant do both should I pass on until 2 years from now.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
I have been to both. I would go back to Neyland (actually been there 3 times) but I don't care if I ever see a game in Death Valley again, although the LSU experience is really old (1980,s)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
Go see the LSU game first. It is quite an atmosphere. The cajuns go crazy on Saturday night. The times I have been there, most of their fans have been nice overall. But keep in mind that the last time I was there was in 1979, so things may have changed. As far as Neyland, the toothless wonders come out of the hills and act like idiots. It is not a great experience but you must do it at least once.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
I honestly couldn't choose between them. Both have their ups and downs. One thing though, depending on where you are sitting, Neyland can be like a sardine can. Last time I was there we literally had to stand sideways looking over our shoulders for the whole game.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I've never been to either stadium, so I can't answer the question from experience. I would love to make it to both some day, in fact I'd love to make it to all of the SEC stadiums. I've only been to Bryant-Denny, and Mississippi State (Scott Field?). Also Legion Field back when Alabama played there.

If I had to choose, I think I'd pick LSU. First, from what I've always been told, Neyland Stadium is the worst stadium in the country as far as actual seating space. Apparently, it is a 102,000 seat stadium in the space of an 80,000 seat stadium. Second, the tailgating. I would love to partake in the Cajun tailgating. I'm sure there is some good stuff at Tennessee as well but I would guess it's more of the standard stuff like ribs and bbq. Finally, I think I would enjoy the LSU fans and band much better than hearing Rocky Top played every time Tennessee gained 2 yards or Alabama threw an incomplete pass.

tide96

All-SEC
Oct 4, 2005
I think the tailgating is better at LSU, but more unique at Tennessee with the Vole Navy and the river.

I've been to both three times and they are both worth doing. If you could only do one this year, I'd lean to LSU.

But they are close enough to just pick the one that works for you and you should have a good time.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
I think the tailgating is better at LSU, but more unique at Tennessee with the Vole Navy and the river.

I've been to both three times and they are both worth doing. If you could only do one this year, I'd lean to LSU.

But they are close enough to just pick the one that works for you and you should have a good time.
Does LSU not have a similar thingy as the Vol Navy? Tiger Stadium is but a half mile from the river. I have been to both, but never have gone down by the river at either.

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
I've been to Neyland a couple of times, and other than Alabama winning both times, I wasn't really impressed with their stadium atmosphere. I've never been to Tiger Stadium, but my wife has, and she says aside from Alabama home games, it's the most fun she's had in an opponent's stadium due to its overall experience.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
I honestly couldn't choose between them. Both have their ups and downs. One thing though, depending on where you are sitting, Neyland can be like a sardine can. Last time I was there we literally had to stand sideways looking over our shoulders for the whole game.

This.

So. Very. Much.

If you go to Neyland, do everything you can to not have to sit in the upper bowl.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Does LSU not have a similar thingy as the Vol Navy? Tiger Stadium is but a half mile from the river. I have been to both, but never have gone down by the river at either.
I don't think so. The Tennessee river runs right next to Neyland. To my knowledge, there are only 2 stadiums with prominent water-based tailgating. Neyland, and Huskie Stadium (Washington).

Actually, I think Baylor built their new stadium right next to the Brazos River in order to allow boat tailgating. I guess something may go on with LSU, I've just never heard of it.

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
This was easy. Going to Neyland is voluntarily participating in one of college fooball's worst experiences in every way. Going to Tiger Stadium is like going to a tough road game.

lowend

All-SEC
Feb 20, 2005
I've been to both in the Million Dollar Band. I'd pick LSU just to avoid Rocky Top getting blared at you constantly over speakers. Plus, you can hit up New Orleans an hour away.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
I've always enjoyed a trip to Neyland and a stay in the Smokey Mountains. Of course, we've won everytime I have gone...I'm sure that makes things a lot better.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
LSU... Unless there are a bunch of drunk Tiger fans near you.
Not to single out LSU fans, cause I don't really want to sit with a bunch of drunks even if they are wearing Crimson and White.

Unless LSU has made their seating narrower, they triumph over TN. ... The Tennessee seating is about right for a small teenage girl. (Really narrow)

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
...First, from what I've always been told, Neyland Stadium is the worst stadium in the country as far as actual seating space. Apparently, it is a 102,000 seat stadium in the space of an 80,000 seat stadium...
This is the truth. I can't believe it's not some kind of building or fire code violation. Back when BD Stadium was around 80,000, I was walking into a game against UT and a Vol fan was right behind us. He said, "I can't believe this place only seats 80,000. It's as big as Neyland." I turned and said to him, "When you get to your seat, you'll understand."

...Finally, I think I would enjoy the LSU fans and band much better than hearing Rocky Top played every time Tennessee gained 2 yards or Alabama threw an incomplete pass.
Truer words have never been spoken. LSU fans are much more fun that UT fans. And, I don't even want to hear "Yea, Alabama" or "Sweet Home Alabama" 100 times a game. I sure don't want to hear the "Rocky Top" (the worst song in college football) constantly.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Enjoyed them both immensely. Never seen us lose at either place.
I've done both numerous times and I'd rate Baton Rouge as a more fun game be far. To say Neyland stadium is a dump is being generous, It is not good enough to be a dump. The worst stadium I have ever been in by far. Long lines to the bathrooms for 40 year old rusting fixtures, few concession stands, and the seats are so small a toddler could not be comfortable. On top of that it sits on the ugliest campus in the SEC. The whole campus looks like it was built in 1970 and they haven't touched it since.

LSU, by contrast, has loud fans, but they just want to have fun. I was never threatened or felt unsafe. We have won there and lost there and the Cajuns partied just the same. The campus is attractive (not as much as ours), but nice. And you just can't get good crawfish in Knoxville.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
I've been to Knoxville (4 times) and Red Stick (once) - all victories. The LSU experience is unique but it's the food that sets it apart. Knoxville isn't as unique, rather bland in fact; however, I prefer going to Knoxville because at the time of year we make the trek, the scenery (the changing of the leaves) on the drive up, once you get to northeast Alabama and on to Knoxville, makes it a very enjoyable trip. There is nothing like that on the way to cajun country.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
When UT was better than LSU, it was at Neyland. I will say it started to change once Saban was at LSU.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.