Off season topic: Bring back the tie!

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Be thankful you didn't have to live "up north", that year, and had to listen to all the codswallop about that game. (Trying to not get a vacation, or this moved to NS.)

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
None of my memories of past tie games are good ones. Some in particular that left a very bad taste in my mouth--

1984 Texas 15 Oklahoma 15(In a downpour in Dallas when Texas was ranked # 1 and OU #3, a SWC official stole the game from OU when an obvious Keith Stanberry interception in the endzone was incorrectly ruled incomplete, right after Stanberry had been incorrectly flagged for pass interference on an uncatchable ball. It wasn't even close. Barry Switzer swore after the game that this official would never work an OU game again.)
1985 Bama 14 LSU 14(we should have won this game, plain and simple)
1993 Tennessee 17 Bama 17(ended the Stallings win streak at 28)

I am not in favor of going back to ties but I WOULD support changes to the current overtime system.

Last edited:

stlimprov

1st Team
Nov 9, 2005
Saint Louis, MO
I'm going for the old FA Cup system: if the game is tied at the end of regulation, you have to come back and play a full game again 3 days later. See who plays for a tie then!

(sortof blue font)

I think the argument that having ties is akin to some kind of everybody-get-a-medal approach is silly. Let me put it this way: you have 60 minutes to earn what you earn. If you didn't earn it in time, why should you get an extension? I could just as easily argue that extending the game is giving in to a sense of entitlement that somebody gets a W when they didn't properly earn it.

Last edited:

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I'm going for the old FA Cup system: if the game is tied at the end of regulation, you have to come back and play a full game again 3 days later. See who plays for a tie then!

(sortof blue font)

I think the argument that having ties is akin to some kind of everybody-get-a-medal approach is silly. Let me put it this way: you have 60 minutes to earn what you earn. If you didn't earn it in time, why should you get an extension? I could just as easily argue that extending the game is giving in to a sense of entitlement that somebody gets a W when they didn't properly earn it.
So I guess every other sporting event on earth other than the FA Cup is giving every player a sense of entitlement by not ending in a tie. Your argument is really weak.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Alabama is 5-9 OT, and 2-1 under CNS all three coming vs LSU. We have won 3 out of our 5 on the road and the other 2 both against ole miss at home. So unless we are playing in Death Valley, the swamp, and ole miss at home then please bring back the tie because we will never beat the whos at bds and Arkansas anywhere if it goes to OT

*** the non stat part is blue font***

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
IIRC, the main reason we didn't win this was was that Coach Ray Perkins insisted on running an obviously exhausted Bobby Humphrey, who coughed it up twice inside the LSU 10 yard line.
You're conflating 1985 and 1986; the latter was Humohrey's fumbles and we lost, 14-10.

1985 he intentionally played for a tie and sent the Vols on to the Sugar Bowl.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
After our extra point to tie In 1985, LSU drove the field only to miss a chip shot field goal that would have won it for them.
You are correct. I believe his name was Ron Lewis and it was a 24-yard chip shot.

The winning TD pass was thrown by 'he whose name is never to be mentioned in Alabama' and caught by Mike Shula.

Btw - go to the 1 hour 2 minute mark and you can see what we're talking about, including Keith and Broyles ASSUMING Alabama would play for the win.

Btw - Keith Jackson even says right after we tie the game - that he has been saying for years we have to get rid of tie games.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
None of my memories of past tie games are good ones. Some in particular that left a very bad taste in my mouth--

1984 Texas 15 Oklahoma 15(In a downpour in Dallas when Texas was ranked # 1 and OU #3, a SWC official stole the game from OU when an obvious Keith Stanberry interception in the endzone was incorrectly ruled incomplete, right after Stanberry had been incorrectly flagged for pass interference on an uncatchable ball. It wasn't even close. Barry Switzer swore after the game that this official would never work an OU game again.)
1985 Bama 14 LSU 14(we should have won this game, plain and simple)
1993 Tennessee 17 Bama 17(ended the Stallings win streak at 28)

I am not in favor of going back to ties but I WOULD support changes to the current overtime system.
I didn't see the Texas-OU game, but I DO remember that (by 1984 standards) there was a HUGE outcry over Texas intentionally playing for the tie. Oh the Sooners were MAD!!!!

But I can't agree with you on the 1985 game as much as I'd like. They outgained us by about fifty yards. We needed to convert a fourth and 19 just to set up the shot to win it. And then - after we played for the tie - LSU drove all the way back down the field and missed a field goal most of us should have been able to kick at that age in the back yard.

That was extremely disappointing because our 1985 team was very good.

And in 1993 - well, we were down by eight when we got the ball. What we did was great - if ties led to overtime. I do recall most of our fans celebrating it as we went from a 'winning streak' to the subtly changed 'unbeaten streak.'

Btw - we should have beaten LSU in both 1986 and 1988 (we blew a 15-3 lead) as well as 2011 regular season....and should have lost to them in 1998 and 1999, too. That's a WEIRD series.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Alabama is 5-9 OT, and 2-1 under CNS all three coming vs LSU. We have won 3 out of our 5 on the road and the other 2 both against ole miss at home. So unless we are playing in Death Valley, the swamp, and ole miss at home then please bring back the tie because we will never beat the whos at bds and Arkansas anywhere if it goes to OT

*** the non stat part is blue font***
Having officials over-reacting to our celebrating didn't help with the Arkies in 2003 - that's for sure. Then again...we're the ones who blew the 31-10 lead so....

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
As did Duffy Daugherty. You can't blame one and yet let the other off scot-free (a little Celtic pun there)...
Notre Dame got the ball with nearly two minutes left and killed the clock. Duffy Daughtery tried to win the game, Ara wimped out. The best team in America was the best Alabama team I've seen in my lifetime. The owner's of the missing ring.
Bama would have beaten Notre Dame or Michigan State by four touchdowns.
The most pathetic final poll in the history of college football.
Seriously..
#1 Notre Dame 9-0-1, no bowl game
#2 Michigan State 9-0-1, no bowl game
#3 Two time defending national champion Alabama 11-0 after beating Nebraska by four touchdowns in the Sugar Bowl.
Think about it.
sip

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
When Arkansas beats us it's always under odd circumstances. The first time was by far the weirdest. 95
Don't remind me. I had the misfortune of living there that year. I'd listened to them whine about getting robbed in the 13-6 game in 1994. After they won the village idiot - Wally Hall - proceeded to rip the SEC for suspending the officials from that game because it suggested Alabama 'was robbed' when 'what really happened' was that Arkansas won.

I had to listen to that nonsense for a year. Had a patient come in the next year who was AT the game and said he STILL couldn't believe they gave the Meadors a catch IN ALABAMA under that circumstance.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.