Off season topic: Bring back the tie!

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I didn't see the Texas-OU game, but I DO remember that (by 1984 standards) there was a HUGE outcry over Texas intentionally playing for the tie. Oh the Sooners were MAD!!!!

But I can't agree with you on the 1985 game as much as I'd like. They outgained us by about fifty yards. We needed to convert a fourth and 19 just to set up the shot to win it. And then - after we played for the tie - LSU drove all the way back down the field and missed a field goal most of us should have been able to kick at that age in the back yard.

That was extremely disappointing because our 1985 team was very good.

And in 1993 - well, we were down by eight when we got the ball. What we did was great - if ties led to overtime. I do recall most of our fans celebrating it as we went from a 'winning streak' to the subtly changed 'unbeaten streak.'

Btw - we should have beaten LSU in both 1986 and 1988 (we blew a 15-3 lead) as well as 2011 regular season....and should have lost to them in 1998 and 1999, too. That's a WEIRD series.

Yea I was at the 1986 LSU game in Birmingham. If I recall correctly it was a night game on ESPN also. We just couldn't do anything right in that game on offense, we were totally inept against what was really an inferior LSU team. Yet another one of Perkins' inexplicable losses.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Notre Dame got the ball with nearly two minutes left and killed the clock. Duffy Daughtery tried to win the game, Ara wimped out. The best team in America was the best Alabama team I've seen in my lifetime. The owner's of the missing ring.
Bama would have beaten Notre Dame or Michigan State by four touchdowns.
The most pathetic final poll in the history of college football.
Seriously..
#1 Notre Dame 9-0-1, no bowl game
#2 Michigan State 9-0-1, no bowl game
#3 Two time defending national champion Alabama 11-0 after beating Nebraska by four touchdowns in the Sugar Bowl.
Think about it.
sip
Absolutely agree. I will always believe that the Bama football team was punished by the wire service polls that year over politics and racial strife going on in the state at that time.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I would have said that I like an open collar. Not as formal as I used to be.
As for football... A case could be made for doing one OT then if it's still tied, call it a Tie.
3 and 4 OT's are a little much.

stlimprov

1st Team
Nov 9, 2005
Saint Louis, MO
So I guess every other sporting event on earth other than the FA Cup is giving every player a sense of entitlement by not ending in a tie. Your argument is really weak.
Whoa, now. My argument is that it is just as easy to argue that one way as it is the other. To that extent I would agree that trying to make that argument (in either direction) is "really weak."

An analog: my child and another has failed to turn in an application by the deadline. There is one spot left open for this event. Are these two entitled to duke it out for the last spot? I'm willing to argue that, if the program chose to say "No, neither of you qualified because you did not submit a complete application by the deadline" that no one should really complain. The program might choose to fill the final spot by creating some sort of extension, but they should be under no obligation to do so.
There was a previous argument that allowing ties to stand is akin to giving everyone a medal and thus fostering a sense of entitlement. My actual argument is that it is a perfectly legitimate position to insist that the medal must be won, that failing to score more points than the other team in the time allotted is to fail to win, and that as such it is legitimate to insist that both participants walk away without the prize.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
A tie is like kissing your cousin. So, no.

But, you get huge props from me just for having the stones to bring it up and effectively giving me something to think about besides looking at log files this morning. You brought up some very good points. Thanks for that!

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Notre Dame got the ball with nearly two minutes left and killed the clock.
If 1:24 is considered 'nearly two minutes,' then okay. Yes, Notre Dame killed the clock - right after they fumbled the Michigan State punt.

Duffy Daughtery tried to win the game,
Only if punting the ball from your 40 with 1:35 left in a tie game counts as 'trying to win the game'

Ara wimped out.
No argument here.

The best team in America was the best Alabama team I've seen in my lifetime. The owner's of the missing ring.
Bama would have beaten Notre Dame or Michigan State by four touchdowns.
The most pathetic final poll in the history of college football.
Seriously..
#1 Notre Dame 9-0-1, no bowl game
#2 Michigan State 9-0-1, no bowl game
#3 Two time defending national champion Alabama 11-0 after beating Nebraska by four touchdowns in the Sugar Bowl.
Think about it.
sip
All true but probably karma from the bizarre win in 1965, too.

What makes the whole thing an injustice, though, is that Michigan State was number one but DROPPED when their win over Ohio State was 'not impressive enough.' Ok - so a WIN not impressive drops you but a TIE on the other hand doesn't?????

Of course, Notre Dame then blistered USC, 51-0, and the thing that killed Alabama was when Nebraska lost to Oklahoma; in all honesty, had the Cornhuskers been unbeaten, I think Alabama wins the title.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
One thing that has always bugged me is the winning percentage calculation. If you win 200 games and lose 50 games, then your win % is .800%. But, if you win 190 and lose 50 and tie 10 you win % is .760%.

It gripes me because they are throwing out those games instead of counting them as 5 wins and 5 loses. That would give a .780% which is how it should be. In chess tourneys, for example, a draw game counts as .5. A win is 1 and a loss is 0. Win one, lose one and you are 1.5. But again, this goes back to what I call silliness at even having a tie.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I don't think we afford to have ties anymore in a limited tournament championship system. Some ties are worse than some losses...but good luck teasing that out consistently in the committee.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I don't think we afford to have ties anymore in a limited tournament championship system. Some ties are worse than some losses...but good luck teasing that out consistently in the committee.
I agree and am not for ties. However, if they would give 1/2 point then the committee would have 10.0 vs 10.5 to help guide them.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
If 1:24 is considered 'nearly two minutes,' then okay. Yes, Notre Dame killed the clock - right after they fumbled the Michigan State punt.

Only if punting the ball from your 40 with 1:35 left in a tie game counts as 'trying to win the game'

No argument here.

All true but probably karma from the bizarre win in 1965, too.

What makes the whole thing an injustice, though, is that Michigan State was number one but DROPPED when their win over Ohio State was 'not impressive enough.' Ok - so a WIN not impressive drops you but a TIE on the other hand doesn't?????

Of course, Notre Dame then blistered USC, 51-0, and the thing that killed Alabama was when Nebraska lost to Oklahoma; in all honesty, had the Cornhuskers been unbeaten, I think Alabama wins the title.
When the score's tied, you have to punt from your 40 with a 1:35 left and hope to force a turnover or stop them three times, use your T.O.'s and hope to block the punt or to run it back. What you can't anticipate is that your wimp opponent will run the clock out on purpose, accept a tie, and still be named national champion over your team or an 11-0 two time defending national champ..

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
NO!!!! DO NOT ***EVER*** BRING BACK THE TIE!!! Losers settle for ties. See 1966 Notre Dame and 1988 Sugar Bowl Auburn vs Syracuse.

Last edited:

TRU

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2000
Tampa, FL
Bring back the tie? Worst. Idea. Ever.
Well, maybe most people did not agree with my arguments, but I do not think this is the worst idea ever. For example, it does not hold a candle to the idea that Mike Dubose was the right choice to lead the Crimson Tide back in 1996.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Well, maybe most people did not agree with my arguments, but I do not think this is the worst idea ever. For example, it does not hold a candle to the idea that Mike Dubose was the right choice to lead the Crimson Tide back in 1996.
I dunno, Dubose didn't damage the entire sport, just Bama...

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.