Off season topic: Bring back the tie!

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

TRU

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2000
Tampa, FL
We are truly in the depths of the offseason, with nothing much to talk about except very premature polls and player arrests. So I would like to argue that the NCAA should consider reintroducing the tie. I can think of at least four reasons to do so:

1. Doing away with the tie and putting in place overtime did away with an important strategic aspect of the game. Say you were a coach down 3 and facing a 4th and goal from the 7 with 5 seconds to go in the 4th. What do you do? When the tie existed, it was a tough call. Take the gimme field goal and the tie or go for 6 and the win? How will this affect your conference and or national ranking? Now its a no brainer - you go for 3 and kick the can down the road into overtime.

2. Sometimes a game ends in a tie due to one team getting cheated and OT gives themselves a chance to seek redemption. But many times, the tie represents a situation where two teams are equally matched. Why not recognize this with the tie? Why put it into overtime, which can go 2, 3, 4 or more rounds? How many times does this end up seeming like two exhausted heavyweight fighters stumbling around in the 15th round, holding on to each other and throwing weak punches in the hopes of a lucky hit? Does this really prove anything?

3. A first corellary to #2. Overtimes exhaust players. Exhausted players are more prone to getting injured. Who wants to see their team win a triple overtime game if it results in the injury of a key player?

4. A second corellary to #2. Overtimes exhaust players. And this often carries over into the following week, where teams are more likely to come out flat and lose the following game due to an inability to bounce back in just a week. Who wants an overtime win when it comes at the cost of a loss to a rival the following week?

I will grant that sometimes we need a winner. Conference championship games or the playoffs, and perhaps bowl games come to mind. But there is no reason not to allow a tie in the regular season games. I for one would like the tie come back in the regular season.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
NO.

I like the overtime. There is a reason why we do 4th quarter condition program at UA for the football players, so that they wouldn't be tired in 4th or over time.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Another no vote, though I would prefer an NFL type of overtime in which every aspect of a team carries the same importance as the first 4 quarters of the game. I do not care for the way that OT games in college are decided, but it beats a tie.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Absolutely no! We have moved on from ties thank goodness just like we did with leather helmets, one game a week on TV and Army/Navy being national championship contenders.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
No here as well. I do like the NFL format better, though with the caveat that both teams get at least one possession. But after one apiece, whatever happens, happens.

JF3

Scout Team
Jul 16, 2004
Phenix City, AL
I say NO.
We already have a society that wants everyone to "feel" like they are the champion. Even when they don't win.(IE.. Little League participation trophies)
In sports and life, if you work harder than your competition and prepare yourself by studying, researching, conditioning,...etc. Let the best team or person win. I want one winner/champion, not two. I tie helps no one. If you have a winner, the loser should be motivated to work, prepare, study harder in the off season.
Just ask our 2009 Championship football team that lost to Florida in the SEC title game in 2008. They were motivated by the loss and won the title the following year. Ask them if the 2008 SEC title game should have ended in a tie... NO. You have to win to be the winner/champion/king. That is how we have become the king of college football. We keep winning consistently and Notre Dame became consistently mediocre... Still a very good program, but mediocre by Bama standards... Enjoy the ride and ROLL TIDE!!

Last edited:

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
As long as things like playoff places and such are decided by committee, all it would do is sow more confusion into the process. If we ever get Division 1 set up correctly so that these things are determined exclusively by on the field performance, I might entertain the idea.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Coach Bryant had one of the best quotes ever about ties. "Ties are like kissing your sister". Don't think Coach was a big fan of ties even in the day of ties.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
No.

The college overtime is one of the most exciting things in all of sports for me quite frankly.

I would not be against limits to number of rounds or other things to increase the chances of it ending without going into 7 or 8 OT.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
Put me firmly in the NO category as well.

Funny thing is I'm not old enough to remember 1966, but it got drummed into me good. I'll always have an issue with any kind of contest that can end in a tie :)

OreBama

All-American
Sep 26, 2005
Portland, OR
I'm sure this won't be popular, but I think a tie(draw) is sometimes the best outcome. I've watched many games over the years and there are cases we're neither team deserves to lose. There are also games which neither team deserved a win as well.

I think you should have two overtimes and that's it. Besides, mandatory two-point conversions starting at the third overtime is more or less flipping a coin.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I spent a lot longer with ties than I've spent without them and I don't want any more. OTOH, I think the present system does need some work. A SDS writer had an article on this and pointed out what an advantage the kicking team has, which is compounded, if it goes to two OTs. That said, we've suffered more at the hands of ties than from OTs...

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
We are truly in the depths of the offseason, with nothing much to talk about except very premature polls and player arrests. So I would like to argue that the NCAA should consider reintroducing the tie. I can think of at least four reasons to do so:

1. Doing away with the tie and putting in place overtime did away with an important strategic aspect of the game.
O Gawd, every time I hear someone use the cliché 'strategic aspect of the game,' I know I'm dealing with some ESPN level propaganda that an autistic eight-year old can see through. This is always followed by "let me give you example A" - all while ignoring the fact we can ALL GIVE EXAMPLES as to why OUR VIEW is the right one.

Say you were a coach down 3 and facing a 4th and goal from the 7 with 5 seconds to go in the 4th. What do you do? When the tie existed, it was a tough call. Take the gimme field goal and the tie or go for 6 and the win? How will this affect your conference and or national ranking? Now its a no brainer - you go for 3 and kick the can down the road into overtime.
Of course, then there's the flip side......knowing you're down three, you get downfield in a hurry so that you have the luxury of deciding whether to win or to play for the tie. You then call plays that hopefully don't get you stuffed at the seven with fourth down.

I mean, it's not like Penn State didn't have a field goal blocked that would have beaten Alabama in 1989, you know.

Oh.....and cross out all rules and logic when Les Miles is involved, too.

2. Sometimes a game ends in a tie due to one team getting cheated and OT gives themselves a chance to seek redemption. But many times, the tie represents a situation where two teams are equally matched. Why not recognize this with the tie? Why put it into overtime, which can go 2, 3, 4 or more rounds? How many times does this end up seeming like two exhausted heavyweight fighters stumbling around in the 15th round, holding on to each other and throwing weak punches in the hopes of a lucky hit? Does this really prove anything?
Well, you HAVE to go for two starting in the third overtime. The visiting team gets to call the toss A SECOND TIME!!! Is that fair?

The team that wins the toss then gets their choice but this is offset by the choice of goal. This doesn't matter at BDS (maybe) but what about those stadiums with an open and closed end? That offsets a lot of it.

Besides - if you already played enough OT previously, you do what Arkansas did to Ole Miss last year and go home and get lucky.

3. A first corellary to #2. Overtimes exhaust players. Exhausted players are more prone to getting injured. Who wants to see their team win a triple overtime game if it results in the injury of a key player?
But I thought there was no evidence that extra plays cause injuries..... (I have my attorney Gus on the line)

4. A second corellary to #2. Overtimes exhaust players. And this often carries over into the following week, where teams are more likely to come out flat and lose the following game due to an inability to bounce back in just a week. Who wants an overtime win when it comes at the cost of a loss to a rival the following week?
Then you should take care of business in regulation, right? Both teams get sixty minutes the last time I looked.

I will grant that sometimes we need a winner.
But I think a tie at the end of the football season in the NCG would be great!!!!!!

Conference championship games or the playoffs, and perhaps bowl games come to mind. But there is no reason not to allow a tie in the regular season games. I for one would like the tie come back in the regular season.
But let's consider counter examples.

1) Suppose you have an opening week where your Heisman Trophy candidate is suspended for the game and you're playing a top ten powerhouse. Late in the game - despite not having your best player at the neutral site game - the referees make a horrible call that enables the team you've got down and beat (despite your handicap) to tie the game.

The season goes on and the Dunce Cap Committee sits down and evaluates over escargot and beer who is going to the Final Four and this team with a tie comes down to another team with a softer SOS and better record but not as good.

Everyone remembers the 'why' about wins and losses, even if the why is 'because Colt got hurt.' But NOBODY remembers the circumstances of ties.

2) The prospect of a tie puts the higher-ranked team at risk of having to do something very risky they would not normally do in order to not wind up tied. Suppose Florida and Vandy are putting on a 9-9 snoozefest in a game where Florida's QB is suspended for grass use and the team hasn't adjusted. Vandy is a 2-win team or so. Florida is driving but it stalls with about thirty seconds left. With a prospective TIE, the ENTIRE PRESSURE is on one team, the unbeaten Florida team. Vandy has EVERY reason to hope for a tie because that'll make the masses back home happy. So if you're Florida - right now - you play it safe and hope. But in the other scenario, Florida is forced to perhaps throw a high-risk bomb or try a low-reward, high-risk long FG.

While I don't care much for it..........I saw too many games like 1981 USM, 1985 LSU, and 1993 Tennessee to want to go back to that. I still prefer to lose because you got beat in OT than a tie.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.