CMG trending to be back next year according to Ben Jones of T-News

HolyCow

3rd Team
Mar 27, 2010
Field of Dreams
In an interview today with Gary Harris. Ben Jones said that he thinks the way thing are going right now and if they perform well against USC and have a good tournament. CMG will be back but his buddy Andy Phillips will be thrown under the bus so he can keep his job. Go to around 7 min mark to hear this discussion. I would have to say I would not be for this UNLESS somehow they make it to Omaha. Seven years is plenty of time to build a good program.

https://soundcloud.com/wdgm-tuscaloosa-tide-99-1/gary-harris-show-051916-ben-jones

Last edited:

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
If anyone thinks finishing 7th-9th in this conference is a good thing then heck yeah, bring the boys back. Anthony Grant averaged 20 wins per years as our hoops coach, but people got fed up. Mitch may very well guide us to our 5th regional in seven years in a couple of weeks, but is this all we want for the baseball program? Can we not do better than a mid-league finish and a regional?

This is really sad.

rtr

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
In an interview today with Gary Harris. Ben Jones said that he thinks the way thing are going right now and if they perform well against USC and have a good tournament. CMG will be back but his buddy Andy Phillips will be thrown under the bus so he can keep his job. Go to around 7 min mark to here this discussion. I would have to say I would not be for this UNLESS somehow they make it to Omaha. Seven years is plenty of time to build a good program.

https://soundcloud.com/wdgm-tuscaloosa-tide-99-1/gary-harris-show-051916-ben-jones
I agree seven years is more than enough time to have a program consistently winning and I am ready to see a change. Hopefully the people that control this will do the right thing. Let's not kid ourselves the team has looked better lately against a bad Auburn team and a worse Hawg team. But I would not be buying any tickets to Omaha any time soon, I still don't see us winning a regional.

Harmost

All-American
Sep 19, 2005
We're stuck on repeat here... look absolutely dysfunctional more often than not, eek our way into the tournament (probably into the Tallahassee regional), thanks mostly to the strength of the conference foes we occasionally beat, and then exit swiftly. And then of course the final step before the cycle resets is that someone nudges the decision makers awake and informs them that "well, we made the tournament."

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Please NO!!!!!!! Anyone that thinks this team looks "well coached" needs to have their eyes checked. I still think it was a joke CMG got the job to begin with, nobody can tell me he was the best we could hire after CJW retired. We still had talent and a good history under Wells even though we dipped some, but if we opened up the hiring process back then there would have been some decent names in the running.

But I do know one thing. If he's allowed to coach next year we definitely won't spend a dime at The Joe. Especially the $7 nachos, $4 water and what? $6.50 for the football cups on top of horribly played baseball by a horribly coached team.

FIRE. THEM. ALL. NOW

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Even if they do force Mitch to fire Phillips, who is going to want to come in as hitting coach knowing chances are it is a 1 year gig?

MikeD

Suspended
Feb 24, 2007
Please NO!!!!!!! Anyone that thinks this team looks "well coached" needs to have their eyes checked. I still think it was a joke CMG got the job to begin with, nobody can tell me he was the best we could hire after CJW retired. We still had talent and a good history under Wells even though we dipped some, but if we opened up the hiring process back then there would have been some decent names in the running.

But I do know one thing. If he's allowed to coach next year we definitely won't spend a dime at The Joe. Especially the $7 nachos, $4 water and what? $6.50 for the football cups on top of horribly played baseball by a horribly coached team.

FIRE. THEM. ALL. NOW
have to say I'm not impressed with AD Battle. He was going to keep Grant when even Grant knew it was time to go. Then he mis-handled the new coach hire. We are lucky coach Johnson fell into our lap. Why we let sports other than football suffer is beyond me. Wish we Were more like FL, get the best coach possible for each sport and compete for championships.

I wish Battle would share his vision with us. For example, softball needs and deserves a major up grade. Millions should be spent on improving that stadium . We are slipping behind others in the SEC. As Saban says, you are either getting better or worse.

we can write Battle, but I believe he is out to touch with Bama fans. Don't believe he has the guts to make a move. I say fire, then bring in whoever is the best coach.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
have to say I'm not impressed with AD Battle.
It's like he is trying to be their friend instead of their boss and you cannot do that. Yes we have had winning records under Gaspard but does this deserve another year and "more time"?

2009-2010: (42-25, 13-15).....3-1 in Hoover.....4-1 in Atlanta Regional (scored 36-19).....0-2 in Clemson Super Regional (outscored 16-31)

2010-2011: (32-24, 14-16).....1-2 in Hoover.....2-2 in Tallahassee Regional (outscored 23-28)

2011-2012: (21-34, 9-21).....NO OFFSEASON

2012-2013: (35-28, 14-14).....2-2 in Hoover.....1-2 in Tallahassee Regional (outscored 13-16)

2013-2014: (37-24, 15-14).....0-1 in Hoover.....3-2 in Tallahassee Regional (we outscored opponents finally 18-11)

2014-2015: (32-28, 12-18).....2-2 in Hoover.....NO POSTSEASON

2015-2016: (31-24, 15-15).....?-? in Hoover.....POSTSEASON???????

Gaspard is: (In his Bama career now)

TOTAL: 7 years (230-187)...average of (33-27)...55.2% win percentage. That is HORRIBLE considering our history.
SEC: 7 years (92-113)...average of (13-16)...44.9% win percentage. I shouldn't even have to say anything else on this line.
IN HOOVER: (8-8) in a total of 6 years (the 7th is this year). One year we even MISSED the SEC Tourney. Unacceptable.
REGIONALS: (10-7) and we actually outscored opponents 90-74. Wow, a "decent" stat except only 17 regional games in 6 years.
SUPERS: (0-2) and we were outscored 16-31 in Clemson. 1 Super Regional in 6 years (waiting to see if we make it this year....HA!)
And we still have this year in Hoover and a regional if we get lucky enough.

Sadly, NONE of these stats are something we should look at like we done something or that we even have a respectable program.

And sadly, Mitch Gaspard HAS TO GO. Period. No firing just Andy and Dax to save his hide, everyone HAS TO GO.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

FIRE. THEM. ALL. NOW
Fire them all and fire the ushers too. They were real you know what's to the California softball team on Thursday. But yes I agree with a nice stadium with expensive concession stands it is not too much to ask to be better than 8th or 9th in the SEC.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Our RPI is currently 56. No way we get a regional unless we win a couple in the SEC Tourney.

Facts... 13 conferences with auto bids currently with RPI's of 70+. 18 other conference regular season champs are above us is RPI. For argument sake, say they are 1-18. If they take the 33 with highest RPI, we'd need to jump to 51. Factor in there will be at least 2 or 3 upsets in conference tourney's, we really need to jump to 47 or 48. Beating KY maybe bumps us to 51. A loss to KY whose already beat us 2x drops us into the 60's.

Not being negative, just see no path forward unless we beat KY, and either beat MSU or win the elimination game. Even then, not sure that gets us much above 50 unless the win in bs Miss St.

That said said, ROLL TIDE BOYS... One day at a time and go skin them cats!

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
I don't see it. We were #43 last year and didn't get picked.

Winning at least one against USCe was crucial, and we just couldn't get it done.

rtr

rolltydebb

BamaNation Citizen
Jun 10, 2002
tuscaloosa, al USA
We don't deserve to go, but be interesting to see how a conference as good as the SEC only get 8 teams. The UK/UA game could be a possible play in game to get into the tourney.

Regardless, Mitch doesn't deserve to be back. The sweep of Arkansas can't save his job. Arkansas lost 13 in a row to close the season.

He rode with bad players way too long. There is zero depth on the roster. There is absolutely no sign of this program nearing a breakthrough or trending up. Aside from a trip to omaha, mitch should pack his bags

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
I see all this regional talk, but the bottom line is this team does not deserve to be playing in a regional. Truth be told who wants to go to Tallahassee and get spanked anyway. I hope changes are coming soon if not we will see much of the same next year. We are as good as we are going to get under this staff and our players deserve better. It is a real shame we have the arms to make it to Omaha,but can't hit a lick especially against a decent pitching staff.

Play Ball!

1st Team
Oct 11, 2001
Birmingham
"In an interview today with Gary Harris. Ben Jones said that he thinks the way thing are going right now and if they perform well against USC and have a good tournament."
Ask Gary Harris how many games he has made in the last 3 years...Ben Jones has to be there and is new. He hasn't sat through this crap for all these years.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
As of 9:30PM our RPI is 62. If WVU wins the Big 12 tomorrow they jump us. Best we can hope is to jump up a few spots tomorrow as games end. No way in H-E-double hockey sticks we get an at large with a mid 50's RPI. Mitch knows it... No way he gave team off once they got back Thursday until Monday at 10AM. They'd be practicing not flying back home or hitting the beach for Memorial Day weekend..

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.