Can Charlie Strong save his job?

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
To hear some people talk about it, you'd think Texas was on probation. They weren't, they had plenty of talent. Is what he inherited worse than what Saban inherited?
I believed that, based on recruiting rankings and such, until someone here posted the numbers from attrition - it was shocking. Texas was in FAR worse shape than Bama was when Saban came along.

Yes, CNS would be doing better than Strong is, but that job is a total, ground-up rebuild.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I hope Herman retires from coaching or goes to the NFL, I don't want him anywhere on the college scene. There's nowhere he wouldn't be a problem; but yeah, the same division would be tough.
Same was said about Sumlin before he took the A&M job..I won't lie I said it as well when we found out Sumlin was coming to the SECw to be really honest, then when we played them & Johnny Football had the best game he ever played on any level against us, it freaked me out wondering was A&M was about to go on a historic run for them under Sumlin..I'm glad that run never materialized & it's looking like Sumlin won't be surviving..I just hope someone snatches Herman up before The Aggies come calling..

I believed that, based on recruiting rankings and such, until someone here posted the numbers from attrition - it was shocking. Texas was in FAR worse shape than Bama was when Saban came along.

Yes, CNS would be doing better than Strong is, but that job is a total, ground-up rebuild.
Yup..I think Mack just plain recruited all the top Texas talent no matter the position they played & no matter what needs his football team needed from players leaving the year before..It caused log jams at positions that already had numbers of players at that position & other positions that needed recruits to shore up the numbers didn't have players coming in with that recruiting class..Lots of players left cause there were to many numbers & no playing time at their positions..

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
The thing about the attrition that gets me, and Mack's recruiting is that we're talking about a guy who went to two national championship games. Statistically speaking he's the best coach Texas ever had. I think you need to follow that act up by doing a bit better than what got Mack fired.

Mack is and was not a bumbling fool. His last three years at Texas he was 25-14. Ok, that's bad enough to get fired at Texas, but it's not really that bad. Strong is 11-14. Even if you just total out the last four years of Mack's time at Texas, which immediately followed a BCS championship game, we're talking about a 30-21 record. In order for Strong to get there, he has to go 19-7 over this next two years.

Let's give him the benefit of a doubt. He needs to at least go 9-4 next season and follow that up with 10-3. Anything worse than that and he has to be considered an abysmal failure (if he doesn't make it to the playoff within three years he'll still fall well short of Mack's final 5 seasons) by Texas standards. If he ran the guys off, that's on him, Mack was doing better with them than he's doing without them and that's just a factual statement.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

The 29 players no longer on the team since 2014...

When Big 12 assistants are telling media members Mack Brown left the team in the crapper (putting it in TF allowable words), think we all understand how bad it was.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
The thing is, at this point the Strong's biggest claim to fame is probably that he kicked a bunch of guys off his team. He has to do more than that. What else has he done at Texas?

He lost a lot of games to, and at this point he's got to start winning. He didn't even turn all that attrition into great recruiting classes though. He loses a lot of players, I get that, and what does he do with that leverage? He's at the richest football program in the nation, he has a state loaded with D1 talent, and he has playing time to offer. He turns that into the 12th ranked class. That would be mediocre by normal Texas standards, but if that's the best he could muster when he's offering immediate playing time, how can anyone spin that into something good about him?

He just hasn't done anything yet, other than kick a bunch of guys off his team. And considering how poorly he managed that situation, I'm not so sure why we are automatically assuming they were all the problem. Bottom line though, time for him to do something.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
The thing is, at this point the Strong's biggest claim to fame is probably that he kicked a bunch of guys off his team. He has to do more than that. What else has he done at Texas?

He lost a lot of games to, and at this point he's got to start winning. He didn't even turn all that attrition into great recruiting classes though. He loses a lot of players, I get that, and what does he do with that leverage? He's at the richest football program in the nation, he has a state loaded with D1 talent, and he has playing time to offer. He turns that into the 12th ranked class. That would be mediocre by normal Texas standards, but if that's the best he could muster when he's offering immediate playing time, how can anyone spin that into something good about him?

He just hasn't done anything yet, other than kick a bunch of guys off his team. And considering how poorly he managed that situation, I'm not so sure why we are automatically assuming they were all the problem. Bottom line though, time for him to do something.
Why did he have to kick a bunch of guys off his team? He inherited crap from Mack Brown.

Mack's time at Texas was getting worse, and Charlie is starting to show progress. He might have kicked a few too many guys off the team in his first season, but he did it.

He showed progress last year, and I don't see why we should expect anything less when considering the number of young guys getting snaps last year.

danb

All-SEC
Dec 4, 2011
Hazel Green, AL
If colt had not gotten hurt, Mack Brown would still be in control of a powerhouse UTx team!
(Blue Font)

I bet Colt And Mack have nightmares to this day of big ole Marcell Dareus!!
( Not Even Close to Blue Font!!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
Charlie Strong did what Coach Saban said he should have done-got rid of all the problem children at once. Strong will be fine this year and going forward.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I do not know how good, or great a HC he is. But even an average coach should win at Texas. Trouble is Texas does not want average and I think this is his last year unless he wins at least eight regular season games.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I think Texas is committed to Charlie as long as they win 8 games and aTm doesn't fire Sumlin. I think they really want Herman but strong is a guy that is trying to build a program the right way and he beat OU so it's really hard to fire him. Think of how hard it was going to fire Shula had he beat auburn in 06. I think it would've still happened but fans would've been calling for mal's head until Saban landed in Ttown. With Texas it's different because strong is constantly having rebuilding seasons due to the remaining Mack players left

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
I do not know how good, or great a HC he is. But even an average coach should win at Texas. Trouble is Texas does not want average and I think this is his last year unless he wins at least eight regular season games.
All we can really go by is his past results. He did pretty well at Florida as the D coordinator. He rebuilt Louisville and left them in excellent shape. I think he gets the job done frankly. This season is critical for him but the horns should improve barring the injury bug. Strong is a solid coach and would not have been hired in Austin otherwise.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Baylor scandal leads to unprecedented recruiting windfall for Texas

Recruiting tends to lend itself to surreal situations.

There was the time Jonathon Colon signed letters of intent with Florida and Miami in 2000, Cyrus Kouandjio gave us an unforgettable moment during an ESPNU signing day broadcast in 20011 when he announced for Auburn but later ended up signing with Alabama, and there have been hundreds of other what-just happened-moments along the way.

But what transpired in the Lone Star State this June, seems almost unprecedented.

In less than a month, Baylor’s historic top-20 recruiting class crumbled after Art Briles was fired in response to a scathing review of the university’s handling of sexual assault allegations made against several football players. In the end, five players from the Bears’ best class in school history were released from national letters of intents, and in another twist, it was also discovered No. 3 receiver Devin Duvernay’s signing wasn’t valid after the school failed to submit the paperwork to the Big 12.

Waiting to pick up the pieces of Baylor’s crumbling class were Charlie Strong and the Texas Longhorns.

First Strong reeled in Duvernay, and then ESPN 300 offensive lineman J.P. Urquidez and three-star athlete Donovan Duvernay announced they were also heading to Austin. But the biggest piece fell into place when Patrick Hudson, the top-ranked offensive guard and No. 56 player in the country, committed and signed a financial aid agreement with Texas on Wednesday.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
It's surprising the Texas had that many spots to fill at this point.
You can only imagine what would be said if CNS added 3 or 4 players at this time of the year
That topic came up yesterday on social media. Apparently, Oklahoma has 8 spots available. There's no real way to know how many Alabama has because some recruited players are fortunate enough to pay their own way if they want.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I'm kind of down on Texas fans in general. With Baylor's recruits jumping ship...I would rather they go somewhere else other than Texas. But I've been so disgusted over the Baylor program that I consider Texas mopping up Baylor's potential recruits to be a good thing.

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
Charlie Strong has underscored why Texas made the strong run at Coach Saban. Texas settled...
It's almost guaranteed that Nick Saban would have Texas humming along by now in the top 15, and Charlie Strong may get it done in the long run, but Strong seems to have arrived at UT before he was ready for a program of UT's stature. As a comparison, Nick Saban took 5 years to get his process refined at Michigan State (7 wins max for 4 years in a row). By the time he arrived at LSU, he had his process working, but it still took 4 years before LSU did better than 5-3 in the SEC. The rest is history of course.

If UT wants to run Strong out the door, good luck to them. But I'd like to see in year 4 what he can do. If by year 4 Strong hasn't turned the program around, then I'd agree with moving on to another coach.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.