Can Charlie Strong save his job?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
It's almost guaranteed that Nick Saban would have Texas humming along by now in the top 15, and Charlie Strong may get it done in the long run, but Strong seems to have arrived at UT before he was ready for a program of UT's stature. As a comparison, Nick Saban took 5 years to get his process refined at Michigan State (7 wins max for 4 years in a row). By the time he arrived at LSU, he had his process working, but it still took 4 years before LSU did better than 5-3 in the SEC. The rest is history of course.

If UT wants to run Strong out the door, good luck to them. But I'd like to see in year 4 what he can do. If by year 4 Strong hasn't turned the program around, then I'd agree with moving on to another coach.
This.

When Saban arrived at Bama, recruits knew him. He already had a championship plus was a former NFL coach.

Strong had a few years under his belt from coaching at Louisville, but that's it. He had some name recognition, but he also walked into the state about the time TAMU started to take off in recruiting because of JFF and Baylor and TCU were taking advantage of Mack's laziness. He's had to weather those three schools for his first two years in Austin. I suspect he shows more improvement this year and has Texas back in the 10 win category next season.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
This.

When Saban arrived at Bama, recruits knew him. He already had a championship plus was a former NFL coach.

Strong had a few years under his belt from coaching at Louisville, but that's it. He had some name recognition, but he also walked into the state about the time TAMU started to take off in recruiting because of JFF and Baylor and TCU were taking advantage of Mack's laziness. He's had to weather those three schools for his first two years in Austin. I suspect he shows more improvement this year and has Texas back in the 10 win category next season.
I hope so. I'm a big CCS fan. I want to see him succeed @ UTw.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Some of my Texas "insiders" are hearing Strong is now in trouble. There was hope from them, even during last year's struggles, that he was building it the right way and they said he was safe then. Now, they are starting to whistle a different tune.

One person told me that if Texas believes Tom Herman is looking at LSU that Texas may swoop in and lure him to Texas instead.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Some of my Texas "insiders" are hearing Strong is now in trouble. There was hope from them, even during last year's struggles, that he was building it the right way and they said he was safe then. Now, they are starting to whistle a different tune.

One person told me that if Texas believes Tom Herman is looking at LSU that Texas may swoop in and lure him to Texas instead.
Yeah, I could see Texas doing that. I honestly don't know if Strong survives or not, but a 6-7 win season and weedeater type bowl won't do much for his chances.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover

I hate it for Charlie but I think the Horns see an opportunity to hire Herman and will do it. It will be a win win for Texas and Herman since the talent has been upgraded and Strong gets the shaft.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
He inherited a mess but for a guy whose calling card is defense that's the part of the team that isn't competing. I think every HC hire deserves 4 years but I'm sure he's gone, especially if UT thinks they can get Herman.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
At this point I'm not sure I can defend him anymore - this is year three and his overall record 13-16 (2-2 this season). I know he inherited a mess, but in year three the excuses are running out...
Yep, the last two games have let a lot of air out of the balloon. The fact their defense is still terrible is most concerning. Their dbs can't make a one on one tackle in the open field to save their lives.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I always though he was not a good for for Texas. He has alienated some of the powers that be there which has put him on thin ice. I do think he is a pretty good coach, but Texas is an entirely different animal than most jobs. I've said this before that Texas is not nearly as good a job as the media seems to think. Having almost in limited resources does not make it the best job since there are too many chiefs who want to treat it as their own personal team and want to control the program. The expectations at Texas are to win championships, but their history to this point shows that to be unrealistic as well.

Until a coach or AD gets everyone moving in the same direction, they will continue to be a mess. Frankly if I am Herman, I'd go to LSU before I would go to Texas. Texas may have mega bucks, but it can also ruin your career if you can't win and win big.

Last edited:

Athens-LA-Tide

All-SEC
Feb 6, 2001
Ptown, OR
www.urbagedesigns.com
Seems like it's all but over for him at Texas! I have no idea why they would basically announce he's gone at the end of the year and keep him til then! I forgot all the link rules so I better play safe and not link it!

Story is on yahoo sports -> "Report: Charlie Strong out as Texas' coach after the season"

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
its a lot at play here unfortunately ... one of the biggest things being the emergence of Houston. They are at a point to where they cant keep having mediocre seasons ... too much invested. I like CCS and think he will get a really good gig after this season from one of the openings. Just hate the situation there at Texas. I just hope the Saban to Texas to rumors wont start again ... why cant it be Harbaugh to Texas rumors lol

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
its a lot at play here unfortunately ... one of the biggest things being the emergence of Houston. They are at a point to where they cant keep having mediocre seasons ... too much invested. I like CCS and think he will get a really good gig after this season from one of the openings. Just hate the situation there at Texas. I just hope the Saban to Texas to rumors wont start again ... why cant it be Harbaugh to Texas rumors lol
I believe UT has made their last play toward CNS. Not saying they wouldn't try again, but it would surprise me at this point. I now firmly believe whatever more time CNS will coach, it will be at Bama.

They shouldn't bother with CJH since he's a Michigan man...at least not right now.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
He has been given a real opportunity there, so if he is replaced he will not complain. Just remember that the first season was a total waste. Remember how many players he kicked off of that team? Still, 3 years is long enough to expect more.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
FWIW - I think he takes out OU again this year. That will muddy the waters on this a bit. Seems he has Stoops number.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I'm struggling to see why Charlie's on the hot seat all of a sudden.

He lost to Cal and Okie State? That's not a horrible thing. Cal lost to a ranked San Diego State team. Okie State is pretty good but had the end of game officiating blunder that allowed Central Michigan the extra play to beat them.

Do Texas fans want their defense to be hold teams under a certain number of points? Do they also realize they are in the Shootout Big 12?

I would say if they are looking for a stout defense like Charlie had at Louisville or Alabama currently has they probably should give him more time to build up depth and more talent on the defensive side of the ball. Otherwise, they aren't going to be holding opponents under 20 every game in the Big 12.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.