Can Charlie Strong save his job?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
A little nit-picking. Texas has been more successful lately and all time than Tenn. They have 29 SWC and Big 12 championships, including 3 since 1996. Tenn has 13 SECC, including 2 since 1996. Texas has 4 NC, including one in 2005, 7 years after Tenn won their last one. Tenn has 2 NC. IMO, Tex is an elite program, Tenn is a notch below. I probably would not have brought this up except that I refuse to allow any unwarranted praise to go Tenn's way unchallenged 😊.

Another nit: Coach Bryant did beat and tie Texas, but the gist of your point is true, he had great trouble with them at UK, A&M and Bama. 1-7-1 aggregate. I think he never beat Royal. That may be what you were thinking.

I agree that Texas does have an inordinate concern for appearance, but there are still many in the admin and fan base that do want to win. I've long thought of UGA as Texas lite: what do you want to be, a great football program or a soft, holier-than-thou, chic center of culture ? Idk when that attitude began to prevail. There are some at both places that seem to view football success as an emblem of a crude, barbaric past.
I truly hate Tennessee but they have 6 NCs to Texas's 4. Now if you want to go the unclaimed route then you have an argument because it turns to Texas 15 to Tennessee 7, but we are being hypocritical if we do that since we settle at 16 instead of 20. So Tennessee 6-Texas 4. As for the SWC one could argue that since Oklahoma and Nebraska were in the big 8 Texas had a free run compared to Tennessee who had Bama in the same conference.

No CPB never beat Royal, but he beat Texas in 1956 at aTm.

Yes Texas is Georgia with a slightly better success and a bigger fanbase.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
The absurdity of what LSU has done sort of boils to down to this for me. I didnt research this so forgive me - alot of yall are much better at that and have more time to do it. First, I dont really put Richt on the same level as Miles. To me, Richt = Tuberville at Auburn, second tier good coaches.

Les Miles accomplishments as a coach sort of mirror what we got out of Stallings, imo. Very good results, winning it one year and being in the hunt for most of the season for most of the other years. As someone mentioned, Stallings was one opponent, Florida, away from achieving unparalleled success at the college level. Same is true for Miles with Saban being the roadblock.

Now, here is the kicker, there are probably less than a dozen plays over Saban's tenure at Alabama across all of college football during that time that if they go another way against us Saban's record probably looks the same as Stallings and Miles - a NC and multiple conference titles. Now there is probably another dozen or fewer plays occurring across all of college football during that time that if they did go our way, Saban is probably sitting on at least 2-3 more NCs and possibly winning 5 out of 7 year period or more.

That's what is amazing to me is that these ADs are basically tearing down their whole programs over literally a handful of plays that dont go their way. I mean if they compared the total costs of the buyouts against the very small set of circumstances that got them to making this decision - its utterly insane the emotional level which the decisions are made. Had Les Miles and LSU managed to win the Auburn game the other night he would have likely survived until another game he lost that the PTBs believe he should have won. But he is basically out of job because his team failed to get the final snap off a second or two earlier, the clock mismanagement issues notwithstanding. I mean come on, no other sport not basketball not baseball requires their coaches to coach to this minute level of margin for error. The finality of Miles career is reduced to what happened in 2 seconds of his final game - hell talk about sticking the knife in someone and twisting it. Based on his accomplishments, Miles deserved better - a lot better.

I know we can be an insufferable bunch of fans - hard on coaches. But all the coaches we have fired deserved to be fired. I hope we as a program dont ever fall into the trap of firing a coach who has won a NC unless its abundantly clear the program is descending into non-competitive territory.

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
The absurdity of what LSU has done sort of boils to down to this for me. I didnt research this so forgive me - alot of yall are much better at that and have more time to do it. First, I dont really put Richt on the same level as Miles. To me, Richt = Tuberville at Auburn, second tier good coaches.

Les Miles accomplishments as a coach sort of mirror what we got out of Stallings, imo. Very good results, winning it one year and being in the hunt for most of the season for most of the other years. As someone mentioned, Stallings was one opponent, Florida, away from achieving unparalleled success at the college level. Same is true for Miles with Saban being the roadblock.

Now, here is the kicker, there are probably less than a dozen plays over Saban's tenure at Alabama across all of college football during that time that if they go another way against us Saban's record probably looks the same as Stallings and Miles - a NC and multiple conference titles. Now there is probably another dozen or fewer plays occurring across all of college football during that time that if they did go our way, Saban is probably sitting on at least 2-3 more NCs and possibly winning 5 out of 7 year period or more.

That's what is amazing to me is that these ADs are basically tearing down their whole programs over literally a handful of plays that dont go their way. I mean if they compared the total costs of the buyouts against the very small set of circumstances that got them to making this decision - its utterly insane the emotional level which the decisions are made. Had Les Miles and LSU managed to win the Auburn game the other night he would have likely survived until another game he lost that the PTBs believe he should have won. But he is basically out of job because his team failed to get the final snap off a second or two earlier, the clock mismanagement issues notwithstanding. I mean come on, no other sport not basketball not baseball requires their coaches to coach to this minute level of margin for error. The finality of Miles career is reduced to what happened in 2 seconds of his final game - hell talk about sticking the knife in someone and twisting it. Based on his accomplishments, Miles deserved better - a lot better.

I know we can be an insufferable bunch of fans - hard on coaches. But all the coaches we have fired deserved to be fired. I hope we as a program dont ever fall into the trap of firing a coach who has won a NC unless its abundantly clear the program is descending into non-competitive territory.
I'd look at it from a different angle. You say it's 12 plays. Someone else might say it's 12 games because we know winning certain games is what college football is all about.

But, with CNS, it's more about "attitude" than plays or games. It's the attitude that he brings to our team that allows this. Think about how bleak things looked against Georgia in the SECCG when they blocked the punt and scored and went up 2 scores? Thing about our recent game at OM when we were behind 24-3. There are many more examples. It's more about that than anything else that people long for. It translates into big plays and wins but, with CNS, his magic is in the small details and attitude that translates to the team.

Last edited:

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Reply to thread question:
Sure he can.
Will he is another question - he HAS to beat OU . TT, Baylor and TCU are important too but if he beats OU and doesn't lose more than two out of those three games he will be back IMO.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Both coaches are currently in bad positions with their fan bases but Oklahoma will beat Texas. Mark it down.
Ehh.. This usually is one of those "win it for the gipper" type rivalries, and I would say Texas might actually be the better team altogether. Baker might be the best player, but he can be had like he was last year by Texas. I would want no part of predicting this game

Last edited:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
IMO if texas can be assured of getting its first choice who is a home run hire (whoever that might be) through agents and back channels they would likely let Strong go. OTOH if they cannot get their primary target this time they will likely keep him another year. I just do not see texas settling this hiring cycle.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.