Can Charlie Strong save his job?

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
As incredible as it is for anybody who watched college football a decade ago, Texas -- with all of the money in the world and its own damn network -- is 41-35 over the last six seasons. The Longhorns have ranked in the S&P+ top 20 just once in that span, fewer times than conference mates Baylor, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, and TCU and fewer times than former conference mates Missouri and Texas A&M.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...2/texas-football-2016-preview-schedule-roster

If Texas would stop spending so much time on ransoming the other nine and ESPN they might be able to recover.

I am looking for Texas to bounce back this year and put the past couple of years behind them.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I think he has to win a minimum of 9 games or he's gone. I think it's been a bad marriage from the beginning and that Strong wants out anyway.

Keep your eye on Tom Hermann at Houston.

Last edited:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
With Baylor imploding, TCU losing a lot of talent, and the rest of the conference besides OU (who they beat last year) being average to really bad, I give them a better than decent shot at rebounding this year.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
If Strong poops out, I'd love to see Texas make a run at Urban Cryer. I'm sure he would turn them down, but it would be fun to see him jerk the Ohio State fans around before he gave Texas a final no thanks.
And I would also enjoy seeing Texas turned down again.

irNate

1st Team
Nov 19, 2010
Snellville, GA
I think he has to win a minimum of 9 games or he's gone. I think it's been a bad marriage from the beginning and that Strong wants out anyway.

Keep your eye on Tom Hermann at Houston.
I have really expected that Herman would end up at LSU, honestly I'm not even sure UTx is a step up from Houston right now :biggrin: But it will be interesting to see what happens

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I don't know how Strong kept his job last year. After losing to Iowa State, I was certain he would be fired. Texas then lost 2 of the last four but closed the season with a win over Baylor in Waco. I guess the PTB were more committed to Strong than I thought.

Texas recruited great this year and they had a really good freshman class last year. I think they're back on track, but like the other UT, they're going to have to actually beat a few teams before I'm going to buy into Strong. The Texas schedule for 2016 does have a lot of cream puffs. Notre Dame and Oklahoma are the only two traditional powers on the whole schedule.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Charlie Strong seems to have some loyal backers, and his win over Oklahoma bought him some leave-way. Though I would think his wins over Baylor and Oklahoma would draw a bit more scrutiny. Texas is supposed to be able to win games like that anyway, but if he has the talent to beat them, how come he still lost 7 games?

Since they play in the Big 12, the schedule this year is basically the same as last year. We'll see how he does though but clearly there needs to be noticeable improvement.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
With Baylor imploding, TCU losing a lot of talent, and the rest of the conference besides OU (who they beat last year) being average to really bad, I give them a better than decent shot at rebounding this year.
I agree. Charlie has proceeded in Austin similar to what he did at Louisville - ran off all the bad seeds, recruited decent and played a bunch of freshman. Coach Bryant said that you lose a game for every freshman you start and that, too, has been his experience in Louisville and now UT. I see the resurgent horns making some noise this year but a lot more the following year (if he can keep his job).

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
I don't know how Strong kept his job last year. After losing to Iowa State, I was certain he would be fired. Texas then lost 2 of the last four but closed the season with a win over Baylor in Waco. I guess the PTB were more committed to Strong than I thought.

Texas recruited great this year and they had a really good freshman class last year. I think they're back on track, but like the other UT, they're going to have to actually beat a few teams before I'm going to buy into Strong. The Texas schedule for 2016 does have a lot of cream puffs. Notre Dame and Oklahoma are the only two traditional powers on the whole schedule.
The wins over OU and Baylor saved his job. That said, after the dumpster file that was Mack's ouster, the conviction that Saban would arrive as a savior, and the resulting search, there is no way that Texas pulls the trigger without having a replacement all but signed.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
The wins over OU and Baylor saved his job. That said, after the dumpster file that was Mack's ouster, the conviction that Saban would arrive as a savior, and the resulting search, there is no way that Texas pulls the trigger without having a replacement all but signed.
That's what logic would suggest, but it won't happen. These arrogant punks here really do believe they can get anyone. Because of the age, expect Urban Meyer's name to be out there.

I'm not kidding. Insanity runs in the drinking water here.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
our
If Strong poops out, I'd love to see Texas make a run at Urban Cryer. I'm sure he would turn them down, but it would be fun to see him jerk the Ohio State fans around before he gave Texas a final no thanks.
And I would also enjoy seeing Texas turned down again.
I would love to see that happen..Texas in a sense is one of the few schools like Alabama that truly needs a HC to lead it that has a ego bigger than the expectations from the fanbase..I don't mean that in a way degrading our own fanbase, but, the expectations that comes being the HC at The University Of Alabama can bury a HC in a blink of an eye if he doesn't have the backbone to support himself being our HC..

The best two HCs we've ever had & both have egos the size of Texas you could say..That's the kinda HC Texas needs & they need to make that HC the richest in college football history to make an exclamation in the process..

They need a Coach Saban, Urban Meyer, Harbaugh, Spurrier type big ego's type HC to truly right their ship..Having strong personalities allows the HC to stick to his long term plans for his football program & not stray from it when you lose a few games to please your bosses or to allow the money people a say into running you football program..

Out of those I listed Urban would be the one I could see leaving their school without giving ' er a 2nd thought of the backlash he'd get from the move..

Last edited:

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
I would love to see Texas hire Herman before A&M does. If Houston has another year like last year and if Strong and Sumlin don't win big, it should get interesting. I'd rather see an aggressive young coach, like Herman go to Texas and stay out of the SECw.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
I would love to see Texas hire Herman before A&M does. If Houston has another year like last year and if Strong and Sumlin don't win big, it should get interesting. I'd rather see an aggressive young coach, like Herman go to Texas and stay out of the SECw.
I hope Herman retires from coaching or goes to the NFL, I don't want him anywhere on the college scene. There's nowhere he wouldn't be a problem; but yeah, the same division would be tough.

dvil doc

1st Team
Dec 3, 2014
Northern Virginia
Major Applewhite will be a HC soon but probably not at Texas as a first job. Houston is becoming a place where coaches no longer go to build their resume but to stay and build their program. I doubt Tom Herman will finish his career there but look for Applewhite waiting in the wings.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I think Strong is safe unless the team looks terrible and loses six or more. Texas fans are impatient (unlike Bama fans :biggrin2:) but they know this was a rebuild job. I suspect Texas will look pretty good this year - enough of an improvement that Strong gets at least one more year (2017) to see what he can do.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Texas returns seven starters on each side of the ball in 2016, one being the starting QB. There was talk last year of the younger guys (primarily guys like true freshman Malik Jackson) having to be the leaders on the team because the older guys left by Mack Brown were not leaders and were entitled. If that is indeed the case, I like Texas' chances this year because Charlie is continuing to get his players while weeding out the ones Mack left him.

At the moment, the Texas-ND game in week one is a pick 'em in Vegas. Either Vegas doesn't trust Notre Dame just yet or they really like Texas.

Texas returns 74% of its total rushes from last season along with 82% of its rushing yards and 89% of its rushing touchdowns. The receiving numbers aren't as favorable - 58% receptions, 63% yards, and 78% touchdowns return (note: I did not include QB Jerrod Heard's one reception for three yards). There is some thought backup QB Tyrone Swoopes (74 rushes for 451 yards and 12 touchdowns) might switch to WR during the summer.

Eight of the top ten tacklers return from last season. Overall, the defense returns 19 defenders with double digit tackles along with five other players returning. Twelve of the team's 13 interceptions are coming back in 2016, too. Plus, they return players accounting for 27 of the team's 37 sacks.

Don't really see why the team shouldn't be improved from this past season based on the stats returning.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I think this is the year Charlie Strong will finally show what he can do with the team.
He has to though. 11-14 at Texas just ain't cutting it.

To hear some people talk about it, you'd think Texas was on probation. They weren't, they had plenty of talent. Is what he inherited worse than what Saban inherited? For the record, the on-field record for Sabana's first two seasons was 19-8 and that was with some key suspensions. Strong is 11-14. We know what Nick Saban did in 2009, let's see what Strong does. Now we all know Saban is way better, but that's kind of the point.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.