Link: Kerry goode fighting als

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
http://alabama.247sports.com/Bolt/Saban-continues-to-help-Goode-in-fight-with-ALS-45401473

I know this was posted in September of 2015, but I thought we should be reminded of Kerry's fight against this deadly disease which recently claimed the life of Kevin Turner. Clearly, I think having two former Alabama players with ALS, that we know of, could indicate that it is the result of consistently hitting and being hit on the head. Of course, the die could have been cast playing high school or pro football. We will never know what triggered the emergence of this devastating illness.

Don't get me wrong, I love football in general and Alabama football in particular. but I don't want my enjoyment of the game to be at the expense of these men's lives.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I think we should strive to learn more about these issues and how better to prevent them. I think there was always a general understanding of the risk, but now we are better understanding the why and the how so it better enables taking action.

One thing I would point out, that probably should be stressed, is that most examples of these types of occurrences we are seeing is after a professional career. The difference in playing high school and college, and doing something else (in Nick Saban's case, coaching) seems to contrast with those that went on to play pro football. Remember we're not just talking about what is happening on the field, but years of getting hit in practice that these guys are taking after they go pro. Clearly there's a threshold that goes beyond the brain's natural ability to heal (though advancement in this area should be possible) but I would argue that generally speaking these athletes have been better off for having played football for Alabama.

Anyway, I just wanted to make that point. The worst examples we are seeing tend to be people who played professionally, and both Kevin Turner and Kerry Goode did that. I would draw the distinction by comparing people who only had an amateur boxing career to someone who boxed professionally. Does anyone think Ali would be in the state he is now had he never embarked on a pro career?

Having said all that, I really hope for the best for Kerry Goode and that some advances can be made in the area. Not only that, but next time we call for more games, or tougher opponents, let us not forget that these is a physical toll to be paid. These guys are literally sacrificing their bodies.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
It sounds like he's making it the best he can with this terrible disease. I pray God will give him peace and like KrAzY3 said maybe they'll find something to battle this in his life. God bless you Kerry.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Oh crap, I had NO idea Kerry Goode had it too. There is always hope but ALS is a nasty disease and sadly a death sentence here lately.:aiwebs_003:

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
In 1984 vs Boston College, Kerry had 297 all purpose yards in little more than 2 quarters.. He was fantastic!!. Maybe the best all purpose I ever saw. Hurt his knee in the 3rd quarter and was never the same.

The Goode family has sent several sons to the Tide.

Praying for Kerry

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/09/kerry_goode_might_have_been_an.html

Goode, then a 19-year-old sophomore, totaled 297 all-purpose yards with three touchdowns, setting an SEC record with 197 kickoff return yards, along with 68 yards rushing and 32 receiving. And he did it all despite playing a little more than two quarters of the Crimson Tide's 38-31 loss to the Doug Flutie-led Eagles.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.