Remembering Fran or How I miss hating him.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I'll "Hold on to the rope" if he'll agree to wrap it around his neck and jump off a high building.
When he left without addressing the team he lost every single ounce of my respect, and I actually liked him as a coach.
sip

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Who said I hated him, how did you reach that conclusion?
I did not say nor imply you hated Fran. How did you come up with that. You said "Enjoy?". I took that to mean you did not enjoy it, or wondered how anyone could? So I said, "Sorry. If you hated Fran enjoy. Otherwise, ............... " meaning if you hated Fran (like I did) then you could enjoy it. Otherwise (if you did not hate Fran you would not enjoy it) ............

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Fran left and the only emotion I've felt for the guy since 2002 is when it came out in 2007 about his newsletter.

And I laughed......and I laughed.......and I laughed.....

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
He once told a friend of mine that he would like to run even more option (the only offense he understood), except he was afraid of pressure from the fans and the AD. He was a deeply insecure person and way out of his depth on the big stages...

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
He once told a friend of mine that he would like to run even more option (the only offense he understood), except he was afraid of pressure from the fans and the AD. He was a deeply insecure person and way out of his depth on the big stages...
I thought he had a really good offensive system, which could work with QBs of multiple skill sets. Andrew Zow, Tyler Watts, and Brodie Croyle all had really good games in his offensive system. Too bad he was such a basket case.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I thought he had a really good offensive system, which could work with QBs of multiple skill sets. Andrew Zow, Tyler Watts, and Brodie Croyle all had really good games in his offensive system. Too bad he was such a basket case.
I thought our O was way too high schoolish with Fran. It was extremely option-heavy and our passing game was lackluster at best. That being said, I felt like the defense played pretty well under Carl Torbush and that he improved the physical toughness of the team while he was here(at least compared to what it was during the Dubose tenure), mainly due to s/c coach Ben Pollard. He was about the only bright spot IMO from the Fran years.

Last edited:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I thought our O was way too high schoolish with Fran. It was extremely option-heavy and our passing game was lackluster at best. That being said, I felt like the defense played pretty well under Carl Torbush and that he improved the physical toughness of the team while he was here(at least compared to what it was during the Dubose tenure), mainly due to s/c coach Ben Pollard. He was about the only bright spot IMO from the Fran years.
Perhaps. Yet we put up better numbers with fRAN than we ever did under DuBose. Maybe over time, had he stayed, the offense would have stagnated because it was as you have described it. I won't pretend to know. He obviously fell apart at A&M.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.