Link: Cooper Bateman to Work Around Super Bowl Winning QBs

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I don't want to bash Bateman, not trying to do that, but I'm not sure why people keep bringing up his speed. It's misleading because he won't run.

Anyone who saw the last A-Day game knows there were two runners and two not-runners. Bateman was a not-runner... it doesn't matter how fast he is if he refuses to run.
Home Run post.

bodiddle

All-SEC
May 14, 2006
Both Bateman and Cornwell were terrified of making a mistake during the spring game, especially Cornwell. I know we have to trust CNS to make the right decision, but he does not always make the right decision on the first try such as starting Bateman over Coker against mississippi.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Actually, Bateman was a national recruit (ESPN 44, 247 composite 80) rated much higher than Hurts (ESPN not in top 300, 247 composite 176) and lower than Barnett (ESPN 14, 247 composite 21).

IMO, Bateman looked far better than Blake in the 2014 A-Day game. He also threw the ball well down field.

He's much faster than Barnett or Hurts, having been tried at WR at Bama.

I know everyone, including me, are a bit spooked by Bateman's hesitancy in the OM game, but many kids improve, some a lot.

Ultimately, I trust Coach Saban to make the right decision and will certainly give him a pass if he were to make a mistake. His past has shown his ability to pick the right QB.

Bateman is a great kid and a great teammate - much like Blake Sims, hope he can play as well.
Hurts was the 3rd rated 'Dual Threat QB" nationally according to 247 Sports.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
There's no doubt...he's an incredibly fine young man and I have the utmost respect for him. I truly do.
But unless they put a podium at midfield and we debate Ole Miss for the SEC West Football Championship I really don't see why that release, as impressive as it is, has anything to do with his ability to play Quarterback.
Take a few minutes and read about this young man and watch the video at the end of the column.
He's a fine young, intelligent man too. And he's very gifted. Anyone saying this young man runs a 4.85 forty has a broken stop watch. Check it out.
Let me say again, and I mean this sincerely-I have nothing but the highest respect for Cooper Bateman so please don't take me wrong.
http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2015/06/process_jalen_hurts_alabama.html

AlexD

1st Team
Jun 19, 2009
To me he does not have a strong arm. He doesn't have good zip on the ball or any sort of long ball. I know he can run but that does not matter if he can't throw well enough for defenders to stay back.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
To me he does not have a strong arm. He doesn't have good zip on the ball or any sort of long ball. I know he can run but that does not matter if he can't throw well enough for defenders to stay back.
Greg McElroy sends his regards [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
His willingness to work hard over the summer to improve speaks volumes. Shows he's not complacent. If he can win the team over with leadership then he's the man.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Hurts was the 3rd rated 'Dual Threat QB" nationally according to 247 Sports.
My motive for the post was that a poster said that Bateman didn't have the same rankings as Hurts and Barnett. That simply is not true. Though a poster or two have cast doubts on my numbers, I checked those services and the numbers are irrefutable.

As far as speed, all reports indicate that Bateman is not only faster but much faster. 4.5 vs 4.7, 4.8. Howard said Bateman was faster than he. And his speed does matter because if he wins the job he is more likely to use it than in the OM game. It also helps in eluding the rush.

As for my other comments, I was simply offering some hope regarding Bateman. Who knows which player will finish on top ? I certainly don't know, nor do I care.

As smart and talented as Bateman is, he may not be able to handle the spotlight. I wish he and all of the candidates the best.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Ive read a lot of comments on a few boards and I don't think Ive seen so many people hoping a QB doesn't win the job since Zow v Watts.

Those two zone reads he should've kept vs OM have jaded people against him.
Yup..It's sad & unjustified criticism..Bateman's 1st start he was thrown into the SEC fire sorta speak against Ole Miss..It's asking a lot for any young QB to start their college career as he did & doesn't reflect on Bateman for good or bad..

That was a tough situation & I have a feeling Bateman will prove his doubters wrong when he wins the starting job..I have complete faith in Bateman & have no doubt he can lead Bama to the SEC Championship Game & possibly on another NC title run..

tide power fan

All-SEC
Nov 26, 2011
Yup..It's sad & unjustified criticism..Bateman's 1st start he was thrown into the SEC fire sorta speak against Ole Miss..It's asking a lot for any young QB to start their college career as he did & doesn't reflect on Bateman for good or bad..

That was a tough situation & I have a feeling Bateman will prove his doubters wrong when he wins the starting job..I have complete faith in Bateman & have no doubt he can lead Bama to the SEC Championship Game & possibly on another NC title run..
Yes I agree I will be behind whoever wins the job, I think the whole team was out of kilter for the Ole miss game I don't lay the blame on Bateman, his was not the only mistake.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
My motive for the post was that a poster said that Bateman didn't have the same rankings as Hurts and Barnett. That simply is not true. Though a poster or two have cast doubts on my numbers, I checked those services and the numbers are irrefutable.

As far as speed, all reports indicate that Bateman is not only faster but much faster. 4.5 vs 4.7, 4.8. Howard said Bateman was faster than he. And his speed does matter because if he wins the job he is more likely to use it than in the OM game. It also helps in eluding the rush.

As for my other comments, I was simply offering some hope regarding Bateman. Who knows which player will finish on top ? I certainly don't know, nor do I care.

As smart and talented as Bateman is, he may not be able to handle the spotlight. I wish he and all of the candidates the best.
It was a lot closer than I remembered, but just glancing at ESPN's rankings, he didn't attain the level of Barnett or Hurts but he was very close. He was a 4 star, Hurts was a 4 star, and Barnett was a 5 star. I didn't look up Cornwell because I didn't claim anything about his recruiting rankings, just his measurable. He's taller, weighs more, and apparently throws the ball with greater velocity.

But no matter, I agree with you in that I don't think folks should look past Bateman.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Uhh....

It might help him elude the rush, but he's not likely to use it. He rushed for 8 yards last year. He didn't run in any of the A-Day games. People keep bringing it up and honestly I think it just makes him look worse because people are like why isn't he running! He's not running because he doesn't run. There is no dual threat there. It's not just the Ole Miss game, it's his entire body of work at Alabama. Did you watch the last A-Day game? I don't think anyone could watch that game and conclude Bateman was anything but the third best rushing QB Alabama has, if that. He showed nowhere near the elusiveness Barnett or Hurts showed and I can only conclude someone would think he was a better runner if they didn't watch the game and only saw his recorded 40 time. So, it's not just about the Ole Miss game, though it is a notable example of Bateman not running when the run was available to him.

If he's going to become a dual-threat QB, something has to change. But, I don't care how fast he is, if that kind of speed only equals 8 yards rushing does it matter? Honestly I kept trying to figure out what was wrong with him in terms of rushing, and I was judging him on that basis (what kind of dual threat QB only rushes for 8 yards vs. 52 pass attempts?) and the conclusion is oh wait, he isn't dual threat! He doesn't like running, may be he would be good on kick offs, but I've not once seen him be truly elusive on the field (he's far better at throwing the ball away than evading rushers). It's just not even a credit to him to bring it up because it's not a legitimate aspect of his game thus far.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

And yet a good portion of the fan base said the opposite about Coker because of the middle Tennessee game. It's kinda odd that people keep taking sides on the qb race when we are the only team to make it to the playoffs both years.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
Uhh....

It might help him elude the rush, but he's not likely to use it. He rushed for 8 yards last year. He didn't run in any of the A-Day games. People keep bringing it up and honestly I think it just makes him look worse because people are like why isn't he running! He's not running because he doesn't run. There is no dual threat there. It's not just the Ole Miss game, it's his entire body of work at Alabama. Did you watch the last A-Day game? I don't think anyone could watch that game and conclude Bateman was anything but the third best rushing QB Alabama has, if that. He showed nowhere near the elusiveness Barnett or Hurts showed and I can only conclude someone would think he was a better runner if they didn't watch the game and only saw his recorded 40 time. So, it's not just about the Ole Miss game, though it is a notable example of Bateman not running when the run was available to him.

If he's going to become a dual-threat QB, something has to change. But, I don't care how fast he is, if that kind of speed only equals 8 yards rushing does it matter? Honestly I kept trying to figure out what was wrong with him in terms of rushing, and I was judging him on that basis (what kind of dual threat QB only rushes for 8 yards vs. 52 pass attempts?) and the conclusion is oh wait, he isn't dual threat! He doesn't like running, may be he would be good on kick offs, but I've not once seen him be truly elusive on the field (he's far better at throwing the ball away than evading rushers). It's just not even a credit to him to bring it up because it's not a legitimate aspect of his game thus far.
Can't say I don't agree. I do however give him a pass on the A-Day game. I don't think it was set up for him (or anyone) to run. Hurts kind of blew that out of the water, but maybe he was just trying to do what he was told. We will see this fall.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Nice moot point ���� Two very different players.
True, but both had less than rocket arms. To me, Mac is the most underrated QB of my lifetime. Cooper can be very successful if he shows even half Greg's feel for the game.

Last edited by a moderator:

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
Bateman may be faster. I don't know and don't really care about open field speed for a QB. Being faster doesn't necessarily translate to quickness. Having the quickness and being shifty in the pocket are better tools in todays game. The eye test for me says J.H. is better suited in that aspect but I think he should RS. Coop may very well win the job but it won't be because he's the best mobile QB option available. It'll be due to his experience and development.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Can't say I don't agree. I do however give him a pass on the A-Day game. I don't think it was set up for him (or anyone) to run. Hurts kind of blew that out of the water, but maybe he was just trying to do what he was told. We will see this fall.
I do want to belabor the point that I'm not trying to bash Bateman. I think I, and may be others let the notion that he was a dual threat QB skew how we viewed him. I know it did that to me because once I got it in my head he was a good runner, I was getting annoyed that he wasn't doing it. If you just erase that and look at him as a regular pocket passer, I think it gives a more objective view of what he can do as a QB. He can run the offense, I do think the last A-Day against that defense was tough for him, but the main takeaway to me was just when he's pressured he's going to throw the ball away and not run. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but I just think people need to stop anticipating that part of his game.

Coop may very well win the job but it won't be because he's the best mobile QB option available. It'll be due to his experience and development.
Right, Cooper might be the best quarterback for this team. That's true. He's not the best runner, I don't think he's even the second best runner. I just think that needs to be laid to rest.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.