Link: Cooper Bateman to Work Around Super Bowl Winning QBs

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Link

Cate told BamaOnLine that Bateman will spend time in the TB12 program, which was created by New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady. TB12 focuses on complementing traditional strength and conditioning training with muscle pliability.

He will also spend part of his June at the Manning Passing Academy as a camp counselor, working with Archie, Peyton and Eli Manning, according to Cate. Before Bateman works with the pair of programs named after Super Bowl-winning signal callers, he spent a few days of his spring break throwing with receivers at Utah to improve his game.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
Ive read a lot of comments on a few boards and I don't think Ive seen so many people hoping a QB doesn't win the job since Zow v Watts.

Those two zone reads he should've kept vs OM have jaded people against him.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Ive read a lot of comments on a few boards and I don't think Ive seen so many people hoping a QB doesn't win the job since Zow v Watts.

There is a lot of ignorance involved. Fans rarely (actually, never) know the full story. Now I'm talking about fans. Not legit insiders who actually may have real information. Anyway, Bateman didn't have the same kind of rankings that Barnett and Hurts had and doesn't have the same measurables that Cornwell has. And yeah, he had a poor game against Ole Miss in his first start. So they've written him off.

The truth is, based upon a decade of Coach Saban now, that Bateman has the most game experience as well as maturity via his age. He's put in his time. Odds are he is going to start and odds are he is going to do very well.

Bamaglory

1st Team
Dec 8, 2005
Hopefully he will "take the bull by the horns" as coach Saban says and win over the team over. If not we will have growing pains in the form of INT's with the other QB's I am afraid.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I haven't written him off, but I am still waiting to see his running ability. I've watched him play in a few A-Day games, I watched him play last year, I can't really recall seeing a good run. Does that mean he can't be an effective quarterback at Alabama? No, it doesn't... but as of now the running ability is right up there with Duron Carter in my mind.

I wish him the best, but that's the point where I question him. He doesn't have to run to be a good QB though but pretty much all the question marks I have about him involve that aspect of his play. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to objectively evaluate him though if that's supposed to be part of his repertoire. If everyone can just get back to thinking of him and using him as a pro-style QB may be I could set that aside but as long as that's part of the discussion I think it remains pertinent.

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I haven't written him off, but I am still waiting to see his running ability. I've watched him play in a few A-Day games, I watched him play last year, I can't really recall seeing a good run. Does that mean he can't be an effective quarterback at Alabama? No, it doesn't... but as of now the running ability is right up there with Duron Carter in my mind.

I wish him the best, but that's the point where I question him. He doesn't have to run to be a good QB though but pretty much all the question marks I have about him involve that aspect of his play. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to objectively evaluate him though if that's supposed to be part of his repertoire. If everyone can just get back to thinking of him and using him as a pro-style QB may be I could set that aside but as long as that's part of the discussion I think it remains pertinent.
Yeah, and the only conclusion we can draw right now from last year and this spring is:

1. He didn't beat out Coker so his wheels and arm weren't valued higher than Coker's.
2. Mixed results on the spring game and that horrible INT near the end of the game is still jabbing me in the craw.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
1. He didn't beat out Coker so his wheels and arm weren't valued higher than Coker's.
Not necessarily - it could be that Coker's split-second decisions were just better. Coker definitely improved in that regard as the season went on - another year of practice and Bateman might be what we had all hoped when he signed with the Tide.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Not necessarily - it could be that Coker's split-second decisions were just better. Coker definitely improved in that regard as the season went on - another year of practice and Bateman might be what we had all hoped when he signed with the Tide.
Hopefully, but you may be the first person to view Coker's decision making as "split second.":wink: Seemed pretty slow at times, especially early last year.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Coker finally got over fear of making a mistake.

Bateman will have to do the same. It's a paradoxical truth that, while Coach Saban values and demands that his QBs not make turnovers, for a QB to truly thrive in this system he must get over being too cautious. I know how everyone hates Gary Danielson, but he makes a good point almost every season. At some point, the Alabama QB has to make the big throw. You can hide behind the excellent running game and short passes to the playmakers outside for only so long. At some point, you've got to make the big time throws down the field when the WRs are covered.

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003

If he can get strong enough to stretch the field with deep throws, I'm perfectly happy with him. Those picks didn't bug me - his inability to stretch the defense did. When the defense doesn't respect your ability to burn them deep, like Jake could, then it gets easier for them to defend you.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Yeah, and the only conclusion we can draw right now from last year and this spring is:

One could read that into it, or one could say he jumped Cornwell and Barnett to become the backup after spending the Spring at WR due to his athleticism.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
There is a lot of ignorance involved. Fans rarely (actually, never) know the full story. Now I'm talking about fans. Not legit insiders who actually may have real information. Anyway, Bateman didn't have the same kind of rankings that Barnett and Hurts had and doesn't have the same measurables that Cornwell has. And yeah, he had a poor game against Ole Miss in his first start. So they've written him off.

The truth is, based upon a decade of Coach Saban now, that Bateman has the most game experience as well as maturity via his age. He's put in his time. Odds are he is going to start and odds are he is going to do very well.
Actually, Bateman was a national recruit (ESPN 44, 247 composite 80) rated much higher than Hurts (ESPN not in top 300, 247 composite 176) and lower than Barnett (ESPN 14, 247 composite 21).

IMO, Bateman looked far better than Blake in the 2014 A-Day game. He also threw the ball well down field.

He's much faster than Barnett or Hurts, having been tried at WR at Bama.

I know everyone, including me, are a bit spooked by Bateman's hesitancy in the OM game, but many kids improve, some a lot.

Ultimately, I trust Coach Saban to make the right decision and will certainly give him a pass if he were to make a mistake. His past has shown his ability to pick the right QB.

Bateman is a great kid and a great teammate - much like Blake Sims, hope he can play as well.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Actually, Bateman was a national recruit (ESPN 44, 247 composite 80) rated much higher than Hurts (ESPN not in top 300, 247 composite 176) and lower than Barnett (ESPN 14, 247 composite 21).

IMO, Bateman looked far better than Blake in the 2014 A-Day game. He also threw the ball well down field.

He's much faster than Barnett or Hurts, having been tried at WR at Bama.

I know everyone, including me, are a bit spooked by Bateman's hesitancy in the OM game, but many kids improve, some a lot.

Ultimately, I trust Coach Saban to make the right decision and will certainly give him a pass if he were to make a mistake. His past has shown his ability to pick the right QB.

Bateman is a great kid and a great teammate - much like Blake Sims, hope he can play as well.
I question the accuracy of the bolded statements above. IIRC, Hurts was a 5* and Bateman was a 4*. Additionally, Hurts played high school football in Texas and Bateman played in Utah. Big difference (Texas HS football > Utah HS football). Bateman may be "faster" than Barnett but Bateman did not lock faster or quicker than Hurts to my eye..

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I question the accuracy of the bolded statements above. IIRC, Hurts was a 5* and Bateman was a 4*. Additionally, Hurts played high school football in Texas and Bateman played in Utah. Big difference (Texas HS football > Utah HS football). Bateman may be "faster" than Barnett but Bateman did not lock faster or quicker than Hurts to my eye..
FYR, Hurts was a 4* and not sure about the accuracy of not being in the ESPN 300. Hurts is definitely quicker than any of our other QB's.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I don't want to bash Bateman, not trying to do that, but I'm not sure why people keep bringing up his speed. It's misleading because he won't run.

Anyone who saw the last A-Day game knows there were two runners and two not-runners. Bateman was a not-runner... it doesn't matter how fast he is if he refuses to run.

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms
I agree with this. Don't see him day after day at practice but in the warmups before games he seemed to me to have the weakest arm. That worries me as well, but if he wins the job. CLK must think he can hit those deep throws to Foster and Ridley, two weapons a defense stays up at night over if the QB can throw deep.
If he can get strong enough to stretch the field with deep throws, I'm perfectly happy with him. Those picks didn't bug me - his inability to stretch the defense did. When the defense doesn't respect your ability to burn them deep, like Jake could, then it gets easier for them to defend you.

DollarTaker

Suspended
Jul 17, 2015
Destin, FL
Bateman may be fast, but he is slow on making decisions and gave up way to early during the spring game and just threw it into the ground several times. He has been in a college system the longest also, yet it does not show. I just don't see him as the starter or Cornwell.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Hurts looks way faster to me than either Bateman or Barnett, and Barnett looks faster to me than Bateman.
I know statistics will get thrown around but if you watched the A-Day Game it was obvious.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.