LSU's Mike the Tiger Dies from Cancer

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Re: LSU's Mike the Tiger has cancer

This is another piece of sad news. We were down there a few years ago looking around the football stadium and watching Mike walk around in his super nice enclosure was cool.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

Hate to hear that. While I want to stomp a mud hole in their football teams, I have a soft spot for animals in general and all the SEC's live mascots in particular. UGA, Mike, Bully, Reville, even Smokey. Seems like Arkansas has a live razorback, but I can't remember his name.

Hope The time Mike has left is as painless and comfortable as possible.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham

Agreed. I'm sure he'll get the best care he can get. I like seeing him during the games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaBay

Scout Team
Jul 30, 2006
Saraland, AL

I don't think the Arkansas mascot is really a Razorback. He is some kind of Russian hog, if I remember correctly.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

LSU holding a press conference today to discuss Mike's cancer, which has spread.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

Magnificent animal. Hate to hear that he`s not doing well. I assume he was born in captivity and not wild caught as a cub. Too few of these majestic cats still in the wild.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA

Unfortunately LSU has announced that they will have to euthanize Mike. Doctors say he only has another month or two to live.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

I hate that. When we had to put our Miss Liza (a rescue cat) down, the vet tech said that a peaceful, painless and dignified end is the last gift we give our pets.

She was right. As much as it hurt to let ML go, even at the ripe old age of 18, it was the right thing to do. Like Mike, she had cancer and prolonged treatment would only have extended her discomfort, to no end other than our own wish that it wasn't true.

Best wishes to Mike for a transition to pain-free roaring for his Tigahs. Condolences to the LSU fans. He is truly a magnificent animal.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

Sad news indeed. I truly hate to hear it. There's not a more beautiful creature in nature than a tiger, and there's simply not that many left.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I don't think the Arkansas mascot is really a Razorback. He is some kind of Russian hog, if I remember correctly.
The original razorbacks were domestic hogs gone feral. However, hogs are very unusual, if not unique in the way they revert to a wild type in just a couple of generations. We see mixes with Eurasian hogs in the Appalachians and, in California, they have had hybrid also from cross breeding with escaped Eurasian boars. However, in other states where they've become a problem, Texas, Florida, they are just pure domestic stock gone feral. The fact of the matter is that they are all the same species - sus scrofa - and, gone wild, their snouts elongate, tusks grow and they get much hairier. The razorbacks of 19th century Arkansas wouldn't look that much different from a feral herd...

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
"We who choose to surround ourselves with lives even more temporary than our own, live within a fragile circle, easily and often breached. Unable to accept it's awful gaps, we still would live no other way."
- Irving Townsend

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.